Huel v3.0 Does Contain Caffeine

Hey everyone, I created an account specifically to talk about the caffeine issue of the new Huel formula. I will copy and paste my reply to another thread regarding caffeine in the new 3.0 Huel. I posted this over on the US forum too as I wanted to let those folks know as well. Over on the US forum a Huel employee posted that the v3.0 unsweetened and original powders DON’T contain caffeine, whereas Alex from Huel told me otherwise, so I replied on the forum with this:

‘Hey everyone, I created an account specifically to reply to this post. I’m a long time Huel user and was a bit irked like lots of people about the addition of kombucha in the new formula, seeing as though kombucha is such a specialty and is very hit or miss with people’s digestion; it’s certainly not a nutritional source that I would describe as ‘for everyone’.

Anyway, I emailed Huel asking if the new v3.0 unsweetened and original powders contain any caffeine, and Alex from Huel confirmed that they DO contain caffeine as a result of the kombucha. This response was only last week so has something changed in the last few days? Has the caffeine been extracted from the kombucha before being powdered and being put into the Huel? I don’t think it’s fair to say that the new Huel contains no caffeine just because it may be a small amount - some people may be especially sensitive to it or want to avoid it for religious reasons (I fall into the former category).

I think we need to clear this up, because if the new Huel v3.0 contains kombucha, then it should contain caffeine too, unless it has been specifically chemically extracted out. If the caffeine hasn’t purposely been removed, and your tests show that there is no caffeine in your Huel, then I have to question the quality of the kombucha in the new Huel :laughing:

TLDR: all flavours of the new v3.0 Huel contain caffeine.

1 Like

Nope. Coffee and chocolate do, the others do not.

2 Likes

The difference would be that what you were told initially was a general response - kombucha in general does contain caffeine. However we went about getting it tested and this was the result

2 Likes

Just a quick one, does this also apply to Huel Black? So Vanilla is caffeine free but Chocolate has some caffeine? (Although presumably the Caffeine in Chocolate is relatively low)

Yes - it’s just the small amount of caffeine naturally occurring in the cocoa powder.

Edit: and the green tea. Don’t listen to me listen to Dan :laughing:

There is a small amount of caffeine provided by the green tea extract that is present in Black Edition but not v3.0.

Chocolate has been tested and contains around 5mg per 400kcal. We expect vanilla to have less than 1mg, for reference a cup of decaf coffee has to have less than 2mg per cup.

4 Likes

do you have the numbers for black as well? would appreciate

That is the numbers for Black I think.
Read Dan’s answer again!

2 Likes

Oh right, dummy me

Wait what I’m confused, Chocolate Huel contains caffeine? o.O

(Trying to stay away from regularly consuming caffeine)

Chocolate (there’s cocoa powder in chocolate Huel) naturally contains caffeine @AllBecomesGood
It’s a really small amount though - small enough to not get any caffeine buzz (I’m really sensitive to caffeine and I don’t notice it)

1 Like