Huel version 2.0 is now live!

I agree with everything you have said totally.

For me it would be perfect if there was no Gum Arabic, Carrageenan or any emulsifiers of any kind in it.

The thinner the better but obviously I realise some people do not prioritise quality over taste etc etc.

Maybe the UU should evolve to be the product people interested in nothing but quality go for, minus everything that isnt a plus.

With the recent state Huel got into I did purchase Nutberg, that is to be mixed with 350ml of water but trust me it is gross.

Huel is the first product of this kind I have used, after checking out all the rest I chose Huel because it is the best out of the lot. I hope it stays that way. I was worried for a while but today shows that they aren’t mad :grinning: after all!

2 Likes

Ideally with vanilla too!

2 Likes

I find the vanilla fine, the same as V1.2 if not thinner.

So this is also a good argument for removing the emulsifiers from vanilla- risks associated with the emulsifiers not worth the potential benefit. Best and cheaper to avoid unnecessary additions to the formula- keep it simple!

1 Like

I think there has been a misunderstanding here. Emulsifiers have always been part of the flavour system in Vanilla Huel. This is why v1.2 of Vanilla Huel was a bit thinner than v1.0 (due to the reduction in the amount of flavour system in it), and why Unflavoured Huel was initially a lot thinner than Vanilla Huel.

Please correct me if I’m wrong @Julian.

Thanks for the info! Just couldn’t see the emulsifiers in the ingredient list for v1.2 so assumed otherwise.

If I drank vanilla at all, I would.

A step in the right direction, but I’m not purchasing huel until you take out the sodium flouride too.
And I haven’t even started googleing the carageenan. Maybe that is one more of the things the huel team needs to “look into”, to see if mistakes were made.

3 Likes

I seem to remember a fair number of people complaining about Unflavoured being so thin. That’s why they added the emulsifiers. And I’m not sure the advice about just adding less water would have quite the same effect. Some people want to have a considerable amount of Huel in one go, with a certain amount of thickness to make them feel full, without having too many calories. For example, when I got my Nano Meal, that has no emulsifiers in and they recommended only 350ml of water for a third of my day’s calories, and it was still really thin.

1 Like

Thicker is better

The thicker it is the more like a meal it is and the more filling it is which are big factors

People saying to remove the thickeners and instead use less water, well this creates a smaller shake with less volume which is consumed quicker with the potential of feeling hungry faster because it didn’t seem like a meal

The people saying oooo use less water, hey guess what, you lot can simply use more water and make it thin as you like

Keeping the thickness and having people who want it thinner simply having to add more water is only a positive as it encourages more water drinking

Keeping it thick is the way to go

3 Likes

I replied before i read all the posts in here, Marcus’ sentiments are spot on

Yeah, loving my 3 liters of water a day so far…

2 Likes

Let’s remember what Huel is about - simplicity, convenience, affordability and portability. The addition of agents to make Huel thicker just so you feel ‘more full’ off lower calories isn’t what Huel is about - it isn’t advertised as a weight loss supplement. Making it thicker doesn’t make it more like a meal - we’re consuming a liquid meal at the end of the day which will never ‘seem like a meal’ in that sense of solid food.

For me it’s more about the use of unnecessary additions to the formula, especially ones that are used to simulate inflammation for drug companies (which is a bit worrying), rather than trying to ‘make it as thin as you like’.

4 Likes

I didnt suggest it was for weight loss

But it is a meal replacement, so it should have the ability to keep you full after drinking it, as a meal would

If it is thin like water or a protein shake then you could drink it all day and still be starving hungry for food

It needs to have a thickness and fullness to it

2 Likes

Surely thickness is a personal preference. What works for one may not work for another.

Sometimes adding more water won’t work. Some of us can’t tolerate that much liquid in one go, and spending the best part of an hour consuming a huel when you could have eaten a meal in less time goes against the convenience of Huel, doesn’t it?

1 Like

The difference in water used as a result of the emulsifiers will be a very small variable in the satiating power of Huel, in comparison to the real constituents of the food such as the protein and carbohydrate content of it. Everybody digests food at different rates and works differently, but the actual thickness won’t make as much difference to the satiety you’ll feel. If you’re getting hungry after only a couple of hours, you clearly need to be eating more rather than worrying about small differences in the thickness of your meal drink.

Above everything, it’s quite concerning that you’re not considering the potential dangers associated with the emulsifiers added.

3 Likes

Although this never happened to me while it was thin as water. I was still full for three-four hours on the same calories, but less mass.

I’d love to hear from a Huel user with a much higher TDEE than the 2k recommended.

2 Likes

It just goes to show, you can’t please all the people all of the time. They created the Unflavoured version for those who wanted it, and the gluten free version for those are sensitive to gluten. Obviously there are some things we’re just not all going to agree on.

Those who like it thinner, like it thinner, and those who like it thicker, like it thicker. They already added the emulsifiers into Unflavoured because some people didn’t like it so thin. But they can’t really keep changing it back and forth. They also probably won’t create two versions, Thick Huel and a Thin Huel, because then they would actually have to have 8 versions:

• Thick Vanilla Huel
  • Thin Vanilla Huel
  • Thick Vanilla Gluten Free Huel
  • Thin Vanilla Gluten Free Huel
  • Thick Unflavoured & Unsweetened Huel
  • Thin Unflavoured & Unsweetened Huel
  • Thick Unflavoured & Unsweetened Gluten Free Huel
  • Thin Unflavoured & Unsweetened Gluten Free Huel

What next?

• Thin Gluten Free Low Carb No Fluoride Unflavoured & Unsweetened Huel With Extra Fibre?
  • Thick High Carb With Fluoride Vanilla Huel With Less Fibre But More Vanilla Flavouring?
  • Etc…
4 Likes

By the way, the issue of the safety of the particular emulsifiers being used is definitely worth discussing, and could even be thought of as a separate issue. If you like it thin and are also concerned about the emulsifiers used, that’s two different reasons that you don’t want them in Huel. But it would be possible to have a conversation about the safety of the ingredients used, and still accept the fact that most people seem to like it with something in it thicken it. So it then becomes a discussion about what that thickener should be, or whether the existing ones are indeed safe.

It’s a bit like if a few people were to complain about the level of protein in Huel, then question the safety of rice protein. It’s two separate issues - the level of protein and the type of protein used. So you could say, “I want a version of Huel with less protein”, and Julian/James might say, “Not going to happen”. But if you were to say “I don’t think rice protein is safe”, they might say, “Okay, we’ll look into it…”

Which was already adressed by Collier, with the carrageenan levels mentioned to be well within safe levels.

Otherwise concur, there probably won’t be more than the three products we already have and that are on the way; Vanilla, UU and the bar.