Huel version 2.0 is now live!

that would make it 18.24mg of Fluoride per day

Bizarrely this article by the NHS

suggests

ā€œIs fluoride safe?
There have been some concerns that fluoride may be linked to a variety of health conditions. Reviews of the risks (see above) have so far found no convincing evidence to support these concerns.ā€

and makes no mention of limits

The previously referred to article ā€œhttp://www.nhs.uk/news/2013/07July/Pages/do-fluoride-levels-in-cheap-tea-pose-a-health-risk.aspxā€

mentions

ā€œHowever, as the authors themselves say, in the US the ā€œupper tolerable limitā€ of fluoride is 10mg of fluoride daily. The researchersā€™ calculations are not based on this maximum limit ā€“ but on recommended daily intake.ā€

refers to the US NAS DRI

whereas the document (May 2014)

Fluride toothpaste - NHS Evidence Search

actually states

"Limitations

ā€¢ There are no UK recommendations for safe levels of fluoride ingestion in adults."

Iā€™m struggling to find a UK limit.

I believe both Huel and the UK use the EU RDAs, so I looked for them.

http://ec.europa.eu/health/scientific_committees/opinions_layman/fluoridation/en/l-3/1.htm

This suggests the upper tolerable limit of Fluoride is lower for most people (depending on your bodyweight) than the NHS article i linked before at 10mg/day.

An upper tolerable intake level (UL) of 0.1 mg/kg BW/day for fluoride has been derived by the EFSA Panel on Dietetic Products, Nutrition and Allergies (NDA) (EFSA 2005)

So someone weighing 70kg would have an upper limit of Fluoride at 7mg/day.

1 Like

Good link - Iā€™ll give that a read.

I have been drinking a gallon of tap water a day for the past 2 yearsā€¦so my pineal gland must be calcified to fuck, no wonder my chakra is out of line with the universe.

Are we allowed to say ā€œfuckā€?

Are we allowed to say ā€œchakraā€?

4 Likes

I am saying I donā€™t want it. It is poison, verily I say unto you.

1 Like

James (Swift), you might be interested to learn that there is not one mention of the word"chakra" or other new age nonsense in this serious academic paper entitled ā€œThe effect of fluoride on the physiology of the pineal glandā€ from this dissertation for the School of Biological Sciences, University of Surrey.

The pineal gland is important in the production of melatonin (which is essential for proper sleep function, for example, and the regulation of other bodily organs). The paper above references quite a long list of other related studies.

The conclusion made in that particular paper:

ā€œIn conclusion, the human pineal gland contains the highest concentration of fluoride in the body. Fluoride is associated with depressed pineal melatonin synthesis by prepubertal gerbils and an accelerated onset of sexual maturation in the female gerbil. The results strengthen the hypothesis that the pineal has a role in the timing of the onset of puberty. Whether or not fluoride interferes with pineal function in humans requires further investigation.ā€

ie. Fluoride accumulated in the human pineal gland (which is not debated) interferes with functions in a way that we are not 100% sure of and has been demonstrated to at least cause the effects listed above in tested animals.

The National Sleep Foundation in the USA, which according to The National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke is ā€œa national nonprofit organization that works to improve public health and safety by promoting public understanding of sleep and sleep disorders. Supports sleep-related education, research, and advocacy; produces and distributes educational materials to the public and healthcare professionals; and offers postdoctoral fellowships and grants for sleep researchers.ā€

The National Sleep Foundation recognises the pineal gland as the part of the body that produces the hormone melatonin which aids healthy sleep and suggests that an imbalance can lead to disorders and even talks about a link with melatonin levels and an increased risk of type 2 diabetes.

Alsoā€¦

ā€œSome studies show that the degree of pineal gland calcification is significantly higher in patients with Alzheimerā€™s disease vs. other types of dementia. Pineal gland calcification may also contribute to the pathogenesis of Alzheimerā€™s disease and may reflect an absence of crystallization inhibitors.ā€
(Mahlberg, R.; Walther, S.; Kalus, P.; Bohner, G.;Haedel, S.; Reischies, F. M.; KĆ¼hl, K. P.; Hellweg, R.; Kunz, D. (2008). ā€œPineal calcification in Alzheimerā€™s disease: An in vivo study using computed tomographyā€. Neurobiology of Aging.)

"Calcium, phosphorus, and fluoride deposits in the pineal gland have been correlated with aging, showing that, as the brain ages, more deposits collect. By old age, the pineal gland contains about the same amount of fluoride as teeth. Pineal fluoride and pineal calcium are correlated."
Luke, Jennifer (Marchā€“April 2001). ā€œFluoride Deposition in the Aged Human Pineal Glandā€. Caries Res. 2001.

So, there you go. Meditate on the scientific information behind that, perhaps. No cosmic realignment or chanting required! :wink:

3 Likes

Ha, owned.

1 Like

Is there any possibility of getting a version of Huel without added salt?

1 Like

@JamesCollier @Gulliver_Huel
Mind sharing your thoughts on the fairly valid points raised here in regards to fluoride?

Hi guys
Thanks for your continued input. I will continue to look at all angles and will update my thoughts in due course

2 Likes

:slight_smile:

I found this article about water fluoridation very informative and entertaining, thus I would like to recommend reading it: http://www.theguardian.com/cities/2016/apr/13/is-fluoride-good-for-cities-newcastle-hull

2 Likes

Blimey, havenā€™t been reading the forum for a couple of weeks but looks like Iā€™ll need a couple of weeks to catch up on all this !!! Does v2.0 taste any different ? Thatā€™s my only concern :grinning:

I received my first batch of v2.0 yesterday. Batch 2434.

It tastes worse to me than v1.2.

Thereā€™s always some variance between batches, but the taste difference between this batch (v2.0, 2434) and what Iā€™ve been eating most recently (v1.2, 2308) is night and day. This batch of v2.0 doesnā€™t taste like vanilla ā€“ itā€™s some other strange and completely different taste.

Anyway, Iā€™ll still eat this batch of v2.0. Iā€™ve been eating Huel for almost 10 months. Hopefully newcomers to Huel eating from this batch wonā€™t be put off. And hopefully future batches/versions will taste better.

1 Like

Iā€™ve been using Huel 2.0 all last week and I canā€™t tell any difference in taste over 1.2. The only way I know itā€™s different is the red bits in it.

1 Like

I noticed a difference with v2.0 when I first stared drinking it this afternoon, probably due to the extra salt. Iā€™ve just finished off the last bit of it from the shaker and I couldnā€™t tell the difference anymore by the end of it. However, this was after more than 2 hours of it sitting in the fridge.

1 Like

There is a slight taste change. This is due to the main ingredients being at different ratios.

1 Like