Huelwear launches today (19th April)

I don’t want to be a prophet of doom but it’s hard enough to get people to wash out a carton of milk or a bottle of sauce before recycling it, or even to recycle stuff in the first place. There was a big thing made in the 80’s of just bin it and get forget it so without tarnishing everybody with the same brush getting that generation onboard is all but impossible but the generations after are more receptive.

2 Likes

I’ve always recycled - especially my jokes.

I used to recycle before it was a thing and even my parents did - my dad used to save all the newspapers and cardboard until he had an estate car load and then take it to the recycling depot and they’d give him cash for it. He then did the same with glass and metal.

I do think that many of the younger generation are more receptive to the idea the planet is shafted and there’s no Planet B. Probably too late now though.

Having said that CONTROVERSIAL STATEMENT ALERT the most unethical thing you can do is have kids so I haven’t and won’t. The planet will be much better when humans have gone.

4 Likes

I like pullover hoodies and was assuming that these have female specific shaping like you mention. But it seems I may be wrong…

Which is nice.

@Tim_Huel any plans for a popup shop type affair in that there London?

100% with you on this. https://youtu.be/IFJT4Ibz_Mk

Too many humans with too much stuff eating too much food wearing too many clothes.

3 Likes

Personally, I think the prices are more than fair. Many of us have distorted views on what constitutes as ‘value’ - to which fast fashion and the likes of Primark/PLT etc are partly to blame. I would much rather pay £60 a t-shirt knowing they are high-quality and sustainable, and the 5-year warranty on these should speak for itself :relaxed:

2 Likes

Same here!!!

yeah - with you on that one too

bf4de2a0-f0f8-419b-b482-a0d8986471f3_text

1 Like

My fella worked as transport manager for the counties recycling plants & they do not recycle anything you put in your blue bin, they used to but councils do not have the money to sort through absolutely everything you dump in that blue recycle, they ship it away to other countries who claim they will recycle :woman_shrugging:t2:

1 Like

Brilliant :roll_eyes: My council accepts loads in a single bin. They removed the separate paper and cardboard caddy a few years ago, and now everything including crisp tubes, plastic films, bubble wrap, carrier bags and the type of film on loo roll and frozen foods all goes in that one bin. I naively put the effort in with recycling ensuring only what is supposed to go in goes in and it’s all washed beforehand (like sauce bottles) and then I see these clips on TV and YouTube of it sailing to somewhere in Asia to end up on a beach or in the sea or on fire.

Sorry Huel, whilst I understand the ethical and eco message behind the clothing, some of us just don’t earn the kind of money that allows us to buy products of this cost. I’m the kind of person that wears things until they fall apart - I still have perfectly wearable shirts (that I still wear) that I wore when I was at school that came from Primark, I’m 33 now. I’m currently wearing a hoodie that I’ve had for years that came from Matalan, it’s still fleecey. I wear my jeans until holes wear in them and then I buy a new pair. You get the picture. But I’m on the lowest pay banding in the nhs and already have plenty of clothes.
If we don’t pay the money to buy the expensive clothes as well as the food products does this mean we’re not welcome in club Huel?

3 Likes

unfortunately these days - most countries out here in Asia have their own garbage disposal issues and more often than not, you see stories of ships from Europe being turned away these days - not sure where they end up or if they (more probably) just dump their cargo at sea on the way back.

That’s a bit of a paranoid stretch of logic don’t you think? What brand do you know that has ever cut off its customers and said they aren’t welcome to be a brand customer if they don’t buy the branded merch?

5 Likes

My approach to sustainable ethical clothing is never to buy a new garment. Shop second-hand, buy from charity, so no new clothing needs to be produced, and the money spent goes to support good causes. Whilst the second-hand charity market exists there’s no reason to buy new. I’ll never in my life spend forty pounds on a t-shirt, it’s a wacky idea.

T-shirts, hoodies, joggers and jeans seem like the most dull, generic and uninspiring kinds of clothing anyway. It suppose it makes commercial sense to go for the lowest common stylistic denominator but it’d be more interesting to see something innovative.

2 Likes

I would love to do this of course, Hot & Savoury launch event was one of my favourite days working at Huel.

This is it really. I’ve certainly shifted my mindset as I’ve gotten older to focussing on quality and cost per use. Trying to opt for brands that make essentials (year round style) in the best way they can. We’ve made some big decisions around sourcing and fabrics to do this in the best way we can.

What?! Goodness no. What do you mean? We love our whole community and I expect food will always be our main business. Whether you’ve bought just one RTD and loved it or a whole wardrobe of Huelwear it doesn’t matter. Our community is our community.

2 Likes

And that’s great if you can afford it. I think more people would love to switch to a more sustainable way of life, I know I would and I am trying but unfortunately it comes at a price and the way things are at the moment I can’t even afford to fill my car fully each month.

I love what Huel are doing, just because I can’t afford it doesn’t mean I don’t respect it.

1 Like

I take it the old line up of clothes and accessories are not longer available. I was waiting for one of the team to let me know when the old hoodie was back in stock, that was 2 months ago :frowning:

I ordered a pair of the jeans and a performance tee shirt. Both seem of good quality and the sizes were spot on compared to my other clothing. I have sent back the jeans as I’m not a young person and therefore I cannot get away with slim fit (I made the error of not spotting they were slim fit when ordering). I will definitely make another order (possibly the joggers) in the future.

Are the original Huel clothing items now gone? What T-shirt do new customers get now?

1 Like

[quote=“Darrenbryan10, post:37, topic:23100”] I
cannot get away with slim fit
[/quote]

Mick Jagger still wears slim fit…in front of loads of people. Age is just a number. Even if it’s a large number

1 Like

I’m no where near his age, but also nowhere near his coolness level either, I know my limits. :+1:

4 Likes