Huelwear launches today (19th April)

Will there be shorts in the making? I wear shorts way more than pants but didn’t see any on the site.

1 Like

Fully expect every last member of Extinction Rebellion to be decked out in these garms going forward :eyes:

Been thinking on this while I gym - Would it be better to have a logo without Huelwear in there? Some of the cooler and better quality clothes I wear (maybe say All Saints?) have a recognisable but discrete logo. Only when I felt the quality did I think “Wow who’s this brand?”.

With Huel Wear already visible I can see there’d be a lot of “Oh Huelwear? Isn’t that that vegan stuff? They make clothes now? Huh?” rather than a punchy “Damn Daniel, that’s quality. Not heard of this brand before!”

1 Like

Same here regarding slim fit :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

All Saints isn’t particularly ethical tho. I’ve no idea about their branding. I thought the Huel branding looks quite discreet. It’s not emblazoned across the clothes like many other brands.

I’m also not aware of people saying Huel - that vegan food brand. People don’t automatically assume it’s vegan - they are more likely to say that gloopy meal replacement food company do fashion now. I hope their clothes isn’t as beige, bitty and weird tasting.

I rarely hear people dissing it for being vegan and someone who’d notice that.

I still think many people would not recognize huelwear as a brand…but give it time and they might.

2 Likes

Do the Huel jeans have n opening at the rear to let the noxious fart gasses out. (asking for a friend - well he’s no friend @Coup)

Huel chaps? thats a whole new fashion demographic right there :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Yeah, I get that, but what I mean is, I wouldn’t move away from current brands to Huel just because it’s ethical. The more expensive clothes I buy now last years, I don’t really feel like I need to buy Huel Wear to achieve that.

This is probably the first Huel product I’m not really understanding. If the USP is ethical clothing, then I question whether that’s enough for it to survive. Unless we can defeat the HUGE budgets of clothing brands and even more so luxury brands, this isn’t really taking off.

I’m in no way a supporter of fast fashion etc, just don’t see how this could be a solution to that.

If someone is spending £100 on a hoodie, it’s because it’s “cool”, not because it’s ethical.

2 Likes

I agree. There are a lot of ethical brands out there, but many of them are niche and I’ve probably never heard of them.

Many companies with an appalling track record are trying to have ethical credentials in some respects. Nike and Levis for example; but I’d rather support more ethical companies. I do have some Levis jeans - but bought second hand. They do last well and I like the fit. I wouldn’t buy them new.

The most important thing is that the clothes last a long time. You say your more expensive clothes last for years…if you’re wearing them often and they last a long time then that’s a good investment for both you and the planet. If you have a £100 t-shirt and you wear it once a week and it lasts 10 years, that’s better than a £20 t-shirt you wear 3 times and throw away.

The fast fashion clothing brands have massive budgets and are everywhere. Huelwear is definitely niche and whether it can survive long term remains to be seen. I would buy it but I personally don’t need to at the moment.

Some ethical clothes are cool. I bought my Hoodlamb coat because it was cool (as well as very warm i sub-zero temperatures) and ethical. A lot of people have commented on how great it looks. I wouldn’t have bought it just because it was cool, but at the time I did buy it I couldn’t find any warm ethical winter coats that were vegan friendly. Hoodlamb did actually go bust during the pandemic, but interestingly the founder has restarted his business selling some of the same products.

I’ve not seen any Huelwear in real life, but it does look quite good from the photos. The few reviews have been favourable so it will be interesting to see how it progresses.

How about Huel underwear? - less appealing second-hand, and worn by (nearly) everyone, at least sometimes. Not so good for flashing the corporate logo; but ethical, sustainable, vegan, long-life ‘performance’ undercrackers would be just the thing.
Socks too!

1 Like

Looks like your secrets out @hunzas

Don’t choke on your cake.

I don’t think there are as many ethical fashion brands as you think. I think there are many brands which have lines of eco-clothing but this feels like greenwashing if the rest of their clothes are not, imho. Huelwear has really been made from the ground up with sustainability at the front of our minds and will give people more options to buy clothes from ethical manufacturers.

And we certainly want to make cool clothing, we know that people won’t buy our apparel based on eco-credentials alone, so it’s got to look good and feel good. We think our range achieves that.

Oooh I don’t know, but honestly wouldn’t be able to say even if I did. Consider it noted!

Yes that’s right, our line of merch is now gone (hoodies, t-shirts, joggers). Our first-time customer t-shirt still exists and will be sent out for free to all first-time food customers, but it just isn’t available on-site to purchase another. The t-shirt isn’t the same as the Huelwear t-shirt, the Huelwear t-shirt is very much an upgrade on all fronts.

1 Like

Devils advocate…

Does the free t-shirt align fully with the 8 pillars of sustainability?

I obviously wouldn’t expect a £45 t’ to be sent out for free with first orders, but at the same time if the pillars are genuinely as important to Huel as they sound; presumably even the free t-shirts will be made to their standards?

Were you able to run stock down to 0 across the ‘old’ merchandise before the new release? If not, hopefully it’s not gone to landfill (Pillars 3, 6) - any chance of a secret sale, or have these be donated to charity/provided to staff/kept back for events perhaps?

2 Likes

How do the T-shirts compare in terms of size and fit? I like my ladies M free shirt, although the new ladies shirt seems to be straight instead of tailored?

I am here for the fire sale…

1 Like

It is not cheap, but considering what goes into making cheap clothes (and food, and other things) it’s well worth it. For me it’s perfect because it makes it easier to buy ethical and of high quality when it’s from a brand I already know and trust and already have a monthly subscription with, also I hate shopping :smile: I added a tshirt to my next delivery. Will probably buy more later but wanted to check it out first.

1 Like

@Tristan bear with me, I will find out from the right people. I know that some of the merch has come back to Huel HQ for the team and that we have been running down stock for months. You might have seen people commenting about hoodies and t-shirts not available on various forums, this was in preparation for Huelwear launch.

Edit @Tristan
So yes the t-shirt still adheres to our strict standards of ethics and sustainability and is made from fabric certified by the Better Cotton Initiative (BCI). But doesn’t use as higher quality fabrics and construction as new Huelwear, as such it doesn’t have a 5 year guarantee.

Obviously the free t-shirts didn’t need to be run down to zero as we still offer them. What was left was very low :raised_hands: but not zero. The remaining merch will not be thrown away of course, but what is left is being brought back to Huel HQ for the team, and new starters, to have at. Anything after that we have a few ideas for, but no nothing being thrown away.

That’s right, the Huelwear t-shirts are regular fit and not as tailored/tapered as the v2.0/v2.1 Huel t-shirts we gave for free.

:hugs: love to hear this, please let us know what you think of the t-shirt!

2 Likes

Just received a hoodie and 2 tees - initial impressions are that they are very comfortable to wear and have a nice premium feel too. definitely have a good quality heft to them, especially the hoodie. The grey marl style fabric colour is very nice too.

2 Likes

Thanks for the feedback Phil!

That’s great to hear, ethics, sustainability and certification is what I was hoping for - didn’t expect you’d guarantee free shirts regardless.