Improving the clarity of the nutritional info images on the nutrition page

Minor point here, but on the nutrition pages on the main site the info about each powder and the bar is obviously an image but when you zoom in that image becomes pixelated. The powder images are clearer than the bar image when zoomed in but is there not something better which can be done? Either something which scales with the rest of the text like a vector graphic or the ability to click on the image and have it zoom in in some kind of window in full resolution?

I know it’s a minor point but it would make it more professional than how it is at present.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback; we’re looking into it.

1 Like

Hi - I am confused about the nutritional info. The macro split says fat is 30% but in the nutritional info per 100g for the unsweetened version it says that it is only 13g. Why isn’t it 30g? I can see some fats at the bottom of the list like Omega 3 and 6 and perhaps they needed to be added on too but surely they are still fats and should be included in the fat total?

A visual infographic to go alongside this would make a clear break-down for a lot of people…

Hi

The percentage refers to percentage of total energy; ie the percentage of eenergy that fat contributes to total calories is 30%

The omega-3s and 6s have to be listed at the bottom like they are as this is labelling legislation - I’d prefer them to be next to the total fat too, but we’re not allowed! They are included in the fat total.

You are confusing how the macro split is calculated. It’s by calories, not weight.

Carbs and Protein are 4 calories per gram while Fat is 9 calories per gram. Fibre is 2 calories per gram.

Carbs: 38.2g = 152.8 kcal
Protein: 30.2g = 120.8 kcal
Fat: 13.2g = 118.8 kcal
Fibre: 7.2g = 14.4 kcal.

100g Huel is 409kcal so the split is

Carbs: 152.8/409 x 100 = 37%
Protein: 120.8/409 x 100 = 29.5%
Fat: 118.8/409 x 100 = 29%
Fibre: 14.4/409 x 100 = 3.5%

So 37 30 30 3 Macro Split

Edit: Looks like James Collier beat me to it

3 Likes

It may go counter to your US efforts, but if you class Huel as a supplement rather than a food, you’d be able to label it as you please I believe - certainly that’s the impression I got from the FSA.

I may have beaten you, but your explanation is better!

1 Like

This has come up before, but Huel is food and there are other advantages to it being classed this way. Legislation is so different in the EU and US as I’m sure you’ve found out!

Yeah, I suspected as much - for now we’re using the extra labelling freedom of supplements, though the benefits of being classed as a food are likely greater - I’ve been considering making the switch for a while.

Yeah, US requirements are surprisingly different, it’s quite a task going through!

1 Like

Hi. Thanks for all replies. I understand now.

This was really helpful. Thank you.

To summarise:
macro % = grams * calories per gram / total energy * 100

I decided to try and apply this to the Hot & Savoury product which states

A serving of Huel Hot & Savoury contains a balanced macro split of 38:25:30:7 (carbohydrates, fats, protein, fibre)

but I got a different result of 40:29:24:6.

It’s close, but that is a 4% difference on fats between my calculation and Huel’s, so I think that makes it note worthy. My first guess was maybe that we should be dividing by the sum of calories from carbs, fat, protein and fibre instead of the total calories, which would be 395 in this case, but that resulted in 41:30:24:6 which is even less accurate. My next 2 guesses are that the calories per gram that you provided are rounded or this is a simplified formula that gives a close but not exact result and the actual formula is more complex. Anybody able and willing to educate me on this one?

Energy: 400kcal
Carbs: 40g * 4 = 160kcal / 400 x 100 = 40%
Fat: 13g * 9 = 117kcal / 400 x 100 = 29.25%
Protein: 24g * 4 = 96kcal / 400 x 100 = 5.5%
Fibre: 11g * 2 = 22kcal / 400 x 100 = 24%
Macro split = 40:29:24:6

You’ve pretty much got it here Josh.

You can check out our article for more info.

1 Like

Thanks for pointing me to that article, Dan, it answers it all :slight_smile: It’s so great that you have these articles available!

Doing the same for the Tomato & Herb Huel I got 35:27:23:7 which leaves 8% unaccounted for, which seems like a lot?

In this article, you (Huel, not you personally) state:

We’ve designed Huel Powder at these ratios as they are not only within the parameters of the healthy eating guidelines…

What guidelines are you referring to? From my googling this afternoon, I’ve found out about the ‘AMDR’ (Acceptable Macronutrient Distribution Ranges) and these are apparently:

Protein: 10-35%
Fat: 20-35%
Carbohydrate: 45-65%

If I’m not mistaken, all Huel’s fall short of 45% carbs. Are these not the guidelines you’re following? Or is the information I found out of date?

If something I was eating had 45% carbs I’d stop eating it immediately and start eating fish or something.

Good question. We should possibly rephrase that as you’re right. However, there’s ample evidence that consuming less carbohydrate is healthy.

1 Like