Nutritional profile and macro split

Dear all,

Let me start by saying that I am an absolute ‘fan’ of Huel. I’ve been using Huel for 6 months now and I am utterly satisfied. I used to have just one 3-scoop Huel a day. Now, I’m having 9 scoops (lunch and dinner + 3 scoops as a ‘snack’ throughout the day). I add a double espresso + the chocolate flavour pack and it is simply delicious.

As I am getting more and more into healthy eating and recently also Freeletics, I have been digging into the nutritional breakdown of my food. Here’s my question. On the website, it states that Huel is 37/30/30/3 split between carbs, protein, fats and fiber. When looking at the nutritional values, however, I find the following per 100g: 29.6g of protein, 13.1g of total fats, 37.1g of carbs, 7g of fiber and 1.3g of salt. For one thing, if you add them up you don’t get to 100g. What’s missing? Water, despite it being a powder? And secondly, from this I do not end up with 37/30/30/3 split, but rather a 42.1 (carbs) / 33.6 (protein) / 14.9 (fat) / 7.9 (fiber) split.

Could anyone please explain? I’m sure the website is correct; I just want to learn how it works.

Keep up the good work!

Tim

It is an energy ratio, not a mass ratio. “37% of the energy comes from carbohydrate, 30% from fat, 30% from protein and 3% from fibre.”

So if you want to do your calculation again, first of all ignore salt and other things that add up to 100g serving - just consider the carbs/fats/protein/fibre that is in 100g. Secondly, convert how much energy is in a gram of fat, gram of carb, gram of protein, and fibre. Lastly, create the ratio of carb:fat:protein:fibre.

Then let us know the result.

2 Likes

Thanks! I did not read that very carefully…

Assuming 4 kcal/g for carbs and protein, 2 kcal/g for fiber and 9 kcal/g for fats, I get to the 37/30/30/3 :slight_smile:

Thanks again,

Tim

Great job, it’s nice to see people are verifying the calculations and other numbers on the Huel webpage :slight_smile:

Every good answer gets rewarded with a new question :slight_smile:
Is this a industry standard? its a little bit confusing to be honest. my fitness pall an other tools use mass ratio or am i mistaken?

My Goal is to get a higher protein ratio for fat loss, and muscle retention.