Is fuel safe to use when taking Warfarin

I’ve just been diagnosed with Atrial Fibrillation and been prescribed warfarin - Is it safe to use Huel when taking Warfarin

1 Like

Why wouldn’t it? Its literally just food at the end of the day, if you break it down ingredient by ingredient.

The only food I’d avoid on warfarin would be grapefruit to be honest, as it slows the metabolism of the drug.

Huel on the other hand is fine.

Hope this helps :slight_smile:

1 Like

You will no doubt be working with a medical person on getting the right coumadin dosage to “stabilize your INR” (clotting factor number). The significant thing is vitamin K intake. Some foods (like Kale) are high in vitamin K, and you may be counseled to avoid them. (Read the brochure they probably already gave you…)

Anyway you should show that person the nutritional profile of Huel (here is the US version, sorry I’m blocked from the UK site…). That US nutrition panel shows that 2000 calories of Huel has 120% of the RDA for vitamin K. That’s not a huge overage, and if your diet is consistent they can easily adjust your dosage to get the right INR against that intake of vitamin K.

Thank you - It was just the Vitamin K issue I was interested in, and as I’m starting warfarin this week in connection with A Fib, It’s all very new to me and when I read that I had to avoid Broccoli and Greens and some salad I thought hell the things I hit to stave off hunger when trying to lose weight are not on. Then I thought about Huel, and asked the question. However I’ve had a chat with the clinic and logically they said if you eat loads of something regularly it will show up in your blood test and we will set the dose accordingly, so no need to make drastic changes to your diet, carry on. Thanks for your reply.

1 Like

Thanks great help. I am amazed at how well organised the international support system works for the taking warfarin, I am about to start and had absolutely no idea about it all. Then I noticed the Vit K greens issue etc. but I’ve since resolved that all with a chat to the clinic, so all good.

It has come to my attention (via eatcomplete.co) that there is a Huel blog post all about vitamin K. You might want to read it here: https://huel.com/blogs/news/the-role-of-vitamin-k2-in-the-human-diet

I can’t read it myself of course because being in the United States, any attempt by me to access huel.com – yes, even the blogs – is redirected to the impoverished U.S. site which doesn’t have the blogs or recipes or all the informative and helpful articles from James Collier. (here insert string of angry and insulting emoticons…)

I made an archive link that you should be able to see here. I like James’ blogs. Useful and to the point and always helpful.

Thanks for the compliments on my articles. The vit K2 one is actually on the US site: https://us.huel.com/pages/role-of-k2-in-human-diet

I know my colleagues are working on the tech issues.

First, I would like to complement the contributors to this forum and Huel as an organization for providing thoughtful and accurate advise for people taking warfarin. You are head and shoulders above your competitors in this arena and I appreciate your attention to detail. I am also a warfarin user (artificial heart valves… 5 years ago).

I am going to try Heul and here is why…

Vitamin K in Huel is my main concern on how it will effect my INR to stay within my prescribed range. When I make a change like this, I talk to my doctor and we monitor my INR weekly for a while. Seeing that Huel has 133% of NRV does not really concern me. If my INR increases, they will adjust my dose of warfarin accordingly. The saying goes, “adjust the dose to the food, not the food to the dose.” Consistency with vitamin K is the main goal… not elimination of Vitamin K from your diet. Vitamin K is an important vitamin to have in your diet and it is easy to think that eliminating it will solve your concerns. It wont. Consistant amount of K is our goal and then the doctors can adjust our dose of warfarin accordingly.

I was more concerned with two other factors… the source of the protein and the amount of vitamin c.

1. protein source. Soy is a source of protein in many powders, however Soy is very variable in the amount of vitamin K it has from scoop to scoop. I have both read about this and experienced it personally. On the other hand, I have found that plant based proteins are much more stable in their amount of vitamin k and have been using a plant based protein powder for more than a year without ill effect. Since Huel uses a plant based protein, I am optimistic that my results will be similar.

2. vitamin C. Early in my recovery I took two tabs of vitamin c daily. My doctor had me stop this practice because there have been reports of Vitamin C interfering with the effectiveness of warfarin and we were noticing an effect in my blood tests. Huel, I notice, has 330% of NRV of Vitimin C. Although this is a concern, my research shows that for C to be a problem with warfarin you need to take amounts upward of 1000 mg per day. At 330% that puts Huel at 264 mg per day. Thus I feel that is well below amounts that will be a concern.

Therefore, I’m going to start with replacing 1 meal per day with Huel with a goal of replacing 2 to 3 meals eventually. The key to success with warfarin and diet is consistency, monitoring, research and communication with your doc. I cant imagine any more consistent dietary solution to vitamin K than Huel, so I am optimistic with this approach.

For any of the readers or contributors of this forum, please read… respond… fact check my information… correction of any factual errors you find… any and all responses would be greatly appreciated.

Reading the Huel nutrition panel, it does not appear that it contains any soy whatever. “Oats, Pea Protein, Flaxseed, Brown Rice Protein” are the macronutrients.

Id direct your post to @JamesCollier as well. He’s responded earlier up thread and will probably do so again

Hi @Weissarthur

The vitamin K in Huel comes from the oats and the flaxseed as well as what we add in the vitamin mineral blend, the latter is in the forms of vitamin K1 and MK-7 vitamin K2. Like any food, the amounts naturally occurring can vary - this is nature. I can confirm, that lab tests we’ve had on Huel have shown a pretty consistent amount of vitamin K1 though.

I’m not particularly au fait with the vitamin C - Warfarin interaction, so I can’t really comment, I’m afraid.

1 Like

Thank you for asking this question, I’m on a selection of painkillers and I find the doctors over here in the UK don’t always make connections with nutrition and medications so I’ve never been given any advice.
It’s good to confirm these things!