@JamesCollier — Question About Sweetness And Satiety

@JamesCollier?

Among dozens of Google hits on the keywords “sweetness and satiety”, I came across a lot of scholarly literature on the topic.

The summary of one 2009 PubMed article in particular published by The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition says…

That piqued the following question in my mind about the extreme sweetness of Huel that a lot of Huel drinkers report

Q. — What role does the level of articial sweetness in Huel play in achieving the perception of satiety a person feels from drinking Huel?

Thanks in advance for your transparency and your candid reply, @JamesCollier.

1 Nonnutritive Sweeteners. A.K.A. “Artificial Sweeteners”.

Well, if you liked that try, then you’re gonna totally :heart: this next try even better

[quote=“The Journal Of Nutrition - Sweetness Satiation and Satiety”]
…Food intake meets homeostatic needs in terms of energy and also reward. For instance, the association of sweet taste with the intake of carbohydrates elicits rapid satiety signals in conjunction with a potent sensory reward…[/quote]

It would be awesome if an actual real-life nutritionist [e.g., @JamesCollier] would chime in with their 2¢ to remove any doubt or clarify any misinterpretation of the nutrition science literature. Pretty please?

Hi @LeggyMountrumpian - I have seen this. I am v busy at the mo, but I will, of course, reply when I can set aside some time.

Thanks

I have come across this before. Satiety is a complex mechanism with endocrinological, neurological and psychological involvement. Sweeteners will have an effect on both the endocrinological and psychological aspects.

A lot of people do not feel Huel is too sweet - remember you’re looking at our forum, which is has enthusiastic Huelers. And, whilst some may feel it’s a little sweet, very few would describe it as ‘extreme’.

To answer your question directly:
Q. — What role does the level of artificial sweetness in Huel play in achieving the perception of satiety a person feels from drinking Huel?

Sucralose has very little role here on their own. The sweeteners are included so people enjoy consuming Huel; it’s the whole formula which helps reduce satiety.

Thank you @JamesCollier. I sincerely appreciate your taking the time to reply. I respect your expertise as a dietician/nutritionist even more now than I already did before.

So, if I’m understanding your answer correctly, it’s sorta like what I paraphrased in layman’s terms back here a few months ago

Or to rephrase my parents’ oft-repeated old saying more scientifically…

[quote=“The Journal Of Nutrition - Sweetness Satiation and Satiety”]
…Food intake meets homeostatic needs in terms of energy and also reward. For instance, the association of sweet taste with the intake of carbohydrates elicits rapid satiety signals in conjunction with a potent sensory reward…[/quote]