Leaving Huel

They’ve lost one, whoever started this thread. Maybe they’ll lose me if decide on soylent

Instead of robot butlers and food pills we have Roombas and big shakes we have to chug down. And we got Captain Picard’s iPad but not his starship.

Thanks for pointing this out! That’s a mistake in wording. Huel isn’t “labelled” as GMO-free, you won’t find it on the product label but it is stated on our website. We will get that changed ASAP.

Not that I’m aware of Christina. It’s frustrating I know and we will continue to look into this.

I disagree that it’s disingenuous. Yes, for soy there are net positives for it being GM, but at the same time if you use soy as an ingredient you have little choice but to use GM - I’m not saying this is a bad thing by the way.

We are finalising the approval through third parties for halal but yes once this is completed it will be on the website, the same as “GMO-free”.

This is where I think the pro-GM and anti-organic crowds have done really poorly. There are legitimate concerns favouring the other side that are not acknowledged and actively shot down. Again, I am going to make this clear I am not anti-GMO but take restrictive end-user agreements that limited independant research of GMOs until 2009. This was not acknowledged by many pro-GM people when it was an issue that may mean people avoid GMOs. Organic foods can also result in fewer pesticides used (notice not zero) and higher levels of phytonutrients albeit at a higher cost. Let’s appreciate that there may actually be negatives to something that has strong benefits and although they may not be equally weighted is important to some people.

3 Likes

Did this forum actually do something?
surprised pikachu face

1 Like

We got a word in an FAQ changed! Congratulations everyone. It wasn’t the word we intended, but it IS a word and that’s a start.

Does Huel contain 5G? I make my tinfoil hats from recycled huel bags just in case.

5 Likes

On GMO by the way, you can be pro-GMO from a scientific standpoint but anti-GM crops from a current implementation standpoint. There’s evidence that in some parts of the world, farmers are forced to buy GMO seeds from specific big companies at ridiculous high prices as the non-GMO crops yield so little it squeezes them out of the market. So you could be anti-GMO based on the ethics of the current marketplace as opposed to being anti-GMO because you don’t understand the science

3 Likes

Yes, so the FAQ previously said “Huel is labelled as GMO-free” and we have changed it to say “We state ‘GMO-free’ on the website…”

Also, this forum is used as a hub of information about our customers. We have made a host of changes to the Huel experience based on feedback on this forum. From little things in the early days like adding black t-shirts, as well as conducting tests for customers that had niche allergies/concerns (some of which now form part of our regular testing), and even changes in micro-nutrients to different sources.

Sometimes, particularly now we’re bigger changes are slower or just way more difficult, but we’ll always listen to the opinions/feedback raised here and combine that with the wider customer base has said too.

Just my tuppence on “non-GMO” call-out on site. Huel ingredients have always been about being as inclusive as possible. If we can possibly avoid an allergen (like soy or gluten) then we’ll leave it out, if we can make Huel without using GMOs at no impact to the quality of our product - great. If we can get as many people to have Huel as possible then we can have a massive impact on the health/lifestyles of those people as well as the environment too, that involves letting people know these things.

@theajmsn if you are still leaving then we totally respect that, but we have the same opinion, we just aren’t going to throw GMOs into Huel for the sake of it. GMOs have a huge potential to change the world so long as they are used in the right way.

To clarify, discussion is exactly what the forum is for. In fact I think that is the definition of the word ‘forum’.

6 Likes

I expect @gtipug will be grinning from ear to ear at the sight of some proper debate in a thread. I’ll just ruin it by saying fart.

6 Likes

Wonder if @theajmsn will come back now?

Yup, I’m right here

Thanks, I’m still leaving as you’re still advertising it when it does not need to be mentioned, I didn’t suggest you add GMOs “for the sake of it,” but it’s scientifically illiterate to advertise non GMO and soy free when neither of those things are inherently bad, you’re doing it to drum up more sales, which is surprising when previously this appeared to be a scientifically conscious brand.

The snarkyness doesn’t help either :stuck_out_tongue:

Also, I don’t actually have any issues with it being in FAQ, if it’s a common question that completely makes sense, however it’s being advertised as a feature of Huel, which is a completely irrelevant point, and is very condescending to consumers.

Repent your soylent ways my child and join the brotherhood of huel. Father Tim has already explained we do not need science, we just need huel.

All hail huel.

4 Likes

Yes bring back the cult madness

2 Likes

I disagree in terms of soy: lots of people are intolerant or allergic. As pretty much every other similar product contains soy, I think it’s important to label it and advertise it as soy free, because it makes it accessible to those with allergies. For me, it’s Huel’s biggest selling point, being soy free. Not because I’m anti soy but because soy is anti-Christina and makes me very sick

6 Likes

Perhaps you’re right, maybe some essential oils in my huel will boost my immune system too, I’ll drink it next to a Himalayan salt lamp while taking a sound bath :joy:

1 Like

bye cupcake

I’m glad you’ve seen the light and decided to follow the righteous path.
Those heathens over at soylent with their “science” and “facts” know nothing of the true faith of huel.
Now if you’ll excuse me I need to take my homeopathic medicine and attend to my healing crystals.

1 Like

Perhaps some, but it’s so obvious that the majority of people are motivated by flawed beliefs that should be challenged rather than pandered too.

Take Complete Foods as an example. How many times have you read that they’re all full of highly processed ingredients and synthetic vitamins and because of that they’re not appropriate to replace any meals?

There are brands that capitalise on that and are marketing wholefood products, and others like Huel, that challenge that belief because it’s incorrect.

Vegan/Vegetarianism is someone wanting to not eat meat because they don’t want animals to die for their food. It’s a personal choice that makes sense to some people and I’ve no issue with because why would I.

Pro-organic largely ignores the fact that fertilisers, fungicides and pesticides are still used to grow crops. They’re just naturally occurring and tend to be less efficient than their synthetic counterparts. Of course the interesting thing here is that bone meal and blood meal are both used heavily in organic vegetable production, with no requirement for labelling. So I’ve no idea why vegans or vegetarians would favour organic veg.

Anti-GM, like anti-vaxx, is largely anti-science with no clue that we’ve spent thousands of years modifying foods already, or any acceptance that we have to increase world food production by 20% to 30% in the next 50 years or we’ll all starve. Should companies own the IP to a seed? Probably not, but that has no bearing on whether or not the produce is safe to use food.

We’re getting a bit deeper into this than we really need to. Great thread but I’m not really fussed either way what Huel contains as it’s worked so well for me as a product and I trust you to choose the right ingredients - but a pro-GM stance just makes more sense to me in the Complete Food category since to me, these food technologies rather than just food.