Let the Huel Begin 2019

So, after a lot of thought and review reading my Huel order was delivered today.

I am super excited in what I can achieve. I am planning to use it for breakfast and lunch with a cooked dinner. I will use MyFitnessPal to track progress and intake. As I struggle to get the correct intake of what is required given my exercise routine and desk job.

I tend to work out 3 to 4 days a week with weights and cardio and I am looking at losing around 2 stone over a period of time to be defined. I am 6ft and 16.5st now and wouldn’t class myself overweight more carrying a bit to much timber, which can hold my training back.

Having done some reading it suggests if I am looking to lose wight I should be aiming for around 1800 calories a day which sounds low tbh. Any advice greatly received and I will post my experiences as I move forward.

Happy New Year all.

Hi and welcome!

Have you calculated your BMR and TDEE? Those numbers are great to figure out an idea of calories you can consume per day and still lose weight. I easily burn 2600 calories having a sedentary job but cycling to and from it (an hour per day) and going on a short walk during lunch (20 minutes). I’m 1.68m and 77 kgs ATM. Based on that, 1800 calories strikes me as quite low for you. Investing in a Fitbit might be a good idea!

• Edit: not implying that 1800 calories would be too little. Just saying if you do feel that doesn’t fill you up enough, you’re likely burning a whole lot more.

1800 a day is feasible. If you ease into huel and work up to 4 400c meals with no snacking you should find you are full enough to not be hungry. I found that when I did huel 100 percent I was eating that much and was never hungry despite being quite active. Thereby reached my goal weight quickly.

Thank you for the advice, running through the TDEE it suggest 2100 calories to maintain based on moderate activity. I guess its a trial and error.

Given I work from home, I am not moving a lot and I struggle to get close to 10k steps or the 600 active calories my iWatch is set to, so maybe the 1700/1800 is a good place to start and see how I get on to reduce weight.

On the days I go to the gym, the 500 active calories is typicallly always hit, so many more Huel on gym days?

:slight_smile:

That sounds sensible! On days I’m embarrassingly inactive I only burn 1700 calories too, so :sweat_smile: take it day by day.

So having reviewed my iWatch to my surprise it tells me the following:

Daily average active calorie burn is 550 Kcals and my resting Kcal is 1600 Kcal, if i am undertstanding it correctly this suggests on average I am burning 2150 a day.

So maybe my initial thought of 1700/1800 is in the ball park.

This has made me think I need to be move active :frowning_man:

@Moon try being 5ft nothing… on a day I do ‘nowt’ I’m lucky if I burn 1200 calories :frowning: which is a bummer when you love your food. On the bright side, although 1200 calories of food leaves me ravenous, 1200 calories of Huel, and I feel totally fine. God I love Huel

Thank you everyone. I will keep you posted and happy new year!

I’d ignore the watch. Aim for 1800…see how you get on after 2 weeks. reevaluate it then. i would imagine you should be losing a little. but yes, most people need to be more active.