Me comparing GlycoGenesis to Huel

At first glance Glycogenesis looks to be a good replacement for those moving away from Huel, but I worry about the 100% soy protein isolate in the vegan version. Your nutrition page promotes the cancer reducing properties of soy protein, but the source you link to specifically states that soy protein isolate can be harmful, stating:

Overnutrition
Soy products are typically high in protein. Some manufacturers have exploited this fact, packing isolated soy protein into shakes and turning it into meat substitutes. However, it may be prudent to avoid highly concentrated proteins from any source, including soy. It has long been known that cow’s milk increases the amount of insulin-like growth factor in the bloodstream, and this compound is linked to higher cancer risk. Some evidence suggests that highly concentrated soy proteins (indicated as “soy protein isolate” on food labels) can do the same. Simple soy products, such as tempeh, edamame, or miso, are probably the best choices.

Summary
Evidence to date indicates that soy products may reduce the risk of breast cancer and breast cancer recurrence. They do not appear to have adverse effects on the thyroid gland, but may reduce the absorption of thyroid medications. The benefits of soy products appear to relate to traditional soy products, not to concentrated soy proteins

https://www.genesisfoodsolutions.com/glycogenesis-nutrition

Ah yes, someone else has pointed this out before and I responded here (it begins a little way into that post). In brief though, the article linked, for ease of reading, is not direct scientific studies, but does instead link to the studies it references.

In short though, the issues with IGF-1 are not exclusive to soy protein, instead being present with other types of high-protein foods, including rice and pea such as those in Huel, though animal and soy proteins are thought to increase this slightly more, but this should be balanced out by the fact there is overall less protein in GlycoGenesis than Huel, so both should have an approximately equal effect on IGF-1 levels.

There are some other quotations and references in the post I linked above that may be of interest to you, but for the sake of keeping this post brief, I’ll leave it at that for here.

Over the years there has been a lot of contradicting articles regarding soy. The ‘experts’ don’t seem to agree. A few studies find this and a few others find that, but they all ‘seems to’ or ‘may’ and not definite. Vegetarians for many decades have consumed soy products in place of meat, and they didn’t all die of cancer within 10 years. In fact I have vegetarian friends who were raised vegetarian on soy products and still consume them today. Also of course vegan and lactose intolerant people, including new born babies, have been using soy milk for many decades now. Well, that is just my observations, but what do I know? I’m no expert. LOL :smiley:

Thank you for the quick and informative response.

While I accept your point that soy protein isolate is comparable to animal based proteins with regards to IGF-1 production, I’m afraid that from a personal standpoint it doesn’t fully win me over. The potential health benefits of a plant based diet have recently helped me to take the leap from vegetarian to vegan, but it’s looking as if a soylent based diet could lose those benefits. It seems there are no quick fixes for healthy eating. Even a vegan shake filled with all the body needs isn’t 100% healthy :frowning:

So, I guess it’s back to meal planning and food preparation for me. Damn. Maybe I’ll learn to enjoy it.