New plastic bottles

I’m not sure storage is the issue? The RTDs don’t seem to go off if left in the heat as long as they are sealed. And they are all properly sealed…
I have no idea what the issue is. Maybe one of the ingredients is sourced from a different supplier and is of inferior or different quality.

Someone from the EU did post that the taste of the RTDs has not changed. I know this is only one person’s view, but it would seem to suggest that the EU product has always tasted this way.

3 Likes

So, volunteers to go to EU/ UK for a taste test and settle it scientifically? One rtd preflight, one upon landing.

With the greatest possible respect, these two sentences are hugely contradictory.

This is a good general rule of thumb but clearly not totally accurate because your sense of smell can’t detect microbiological problems (unless they’re really bad). Since you are not comparing like for like (we’ve already established the EU RTD and the UK/US RTD tastes different due to different production methods) then what you’re experiencing is down to a different product, not out of date stock.

The reason I can say that with certainty is that of course the first thing we have done when receiving these complaints is to micro-biologically test affected batches we have been returned (as long as they are sealed). So far none of the reported ‘off’ batches have failed micro testing so far. In addition, all batches are tested on manufacture too.

8 Likes

To be clear, the printed best before date on this batch says 13th September 2020. These are not expired in the sense that I waited too long. They’re expired in the sense that they were stored incorrectly, or transported from Europe incorrectly, and now they’re no longer fit for human consumption.

On RTD website is states the shelf life is only 3 months. Is this a guarantee that the products customers receive will have at least 3 months shelf life left @Tim_Huel? I am getting lazy and want to increase the amount of RTD in my life but I find 3 months to be quite short of a time when compared to your competitors.

@Nwolc I’ve received RTD with well over 6 months before the printed bbe date. It might even have been as long as 9 months I can’t remember exactly. Definitely way longer than 3 months though. This is for the US RTD. I’m not sure if the EU one is different

2 Likes

In case anyone cares, I found an errant bottle of RTD Berry that had BBE June 2019. I drank it last week. Nothing smelled or tasted wrong and I am still here to tell the tale.

5 Likes

You are now a Huel zombie :skull:

3 Likes

Sorry I missed this one. I think that section has missed an update it should read:

The shelf life of unopened bottles of Huel Ready-to-drink is a minimum of 3 months.

As it does on the UK site. It all depends on demand but the RTD you order will have at least 3 months on the shelf life.

Thank goodness for that! We would have missed you.

2 Likes

I’ve noticed the same thing. I’ve complained and asked if I can return them. I heard on another feed that they are from Europe and not US due to supply issues. I hope they sort it soon as I will cancel my subscription otherwise.

I have used the European version for 12 bottles now. I have got used to the tast and texture but did not feel it tasted bad. I found it to be chalkier and less sweet.

1 Like

I’ve got into the habit of having a RTD every morning, this morning I’d unfortunately finally finished my stash of ‘old bottle’ so started on the new stuff. As others have said, immediately the taste and smell of gone off milk, quite urea-y and an unusual texture. I check the bottle, is this a new formula? No, out of date? No… I persevere drinking about half the bottle thinking maybe I’m imagining it, but no - could not finish it, left feeling a bit nauseated that I even tried…

Now I’m in quite the pickle because I want to return this stuff because it’s vile but a) I’m in isolation, having just returned from an effected ski resort b) My other box of new stuff is in the office c) I was banking on Huel being part of my 2 week isolation plan.

Great. @Tim_Huel - any help? Is this a one off batch or should I cancel?

Shower thought: Everyone loves Heinz Ketchup because it never changes, surprises or disappoints them.

It has changed recipe and also has different recipe in different parts of world.

I understand the different parts of the world thing, different countries generally have different palates.

I have used RTD vanilla lots in the past and I love it. I picked up a bottle today in a petrol station to satisfy my curiosity about this horrid new flavour and texture! It was the one they are currently using to fulfil demand (US or European bottled, not really sure but different to what I have used in the past anyway) with the foil top etc. I have seen so many people say it is gross but to me it was still delicious and I would say almost identical both in taste and texture.
I hadn’t bought any recently as I was put off but I have immediately put in a new order today instead of waiting for the other one to come back.
Thought I’d just put my thoughts forward as I’m seemingly in the minority on this one.

Ps
Also didn’t find the slight change in style of bottle opening difficult to drink out of either.

3 Likes

I think those of us with problems have been delivered a particular batch that’s rancid - I have the same batch number as other posters here who are complaining so unlikely to be a coincidence…

1 Like

Surely if there are so many complaints from this batch it would have been tested by now and this issue would have been resolved in some way?Maybe this has been done but would be good to clear it up.

Did you try the green ketchup a few years back? shudders

we have two types of Heinz ketchup here - imported from Australia which is pretty much like the European one and a locally produced one that is sort of a weird orange colour and only vaguely tastes of tomato.

The have Jon

so we’ll just have to put some of the more extreme reactions down to wildly varying taste receptors. I was like you - barely noticed any difference apart from the texture which was fixed with a quick blend.

1 Like

Does it not stop being ‘ready to drink’ if it requires another blend?