Overeaters Anonymous?

27 Nov 2021
Daily Huel ft. carrots that were expiring, thanks to the person who recommended carrots for chewing!

Carrots that were expiring? Reminds me of this:

I wish to complain about this carrot what I purchased from the very shop not one half an hour ago.

If you swirl the shaker like side to side or in a circular motion to mix the powder into the water before shaking it up and down, it means there’s no powder sitting on the top anymore so it can’t get stuck in the cap when you shake it up and down.

2 Likes

How are you doing @ooboo, like, how are you feeling?

Quick technical Huel question: Do any of you get that weird powder clump that stays in the top of the shaker?? I have no idea how to make it mix with the rest of the shake… :face_with_monocle:

I’ve had this. I fill a little water into the shaker, add Huel then top up with water.

BTW, well done on Step 1, the most important step

1 Like

29 Nov 2021
Had a lunch out with friends yesterday and it’s so tempting for my all our nothing self to go “ok fk it i guess we’ve failed”, but nope, right back onto today’s Lunch Huel! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:
Seriously love the caramel Huel flavour. brought it to my lecture, such a convenient way to get a meal in with minimal prep time needed

1 Like

Aww thanks for asking Tim! Not too bad, still struggling with emotional eating since it’s such an ingrained habit, but at least I’m starting to get a feel of what proper meals are and having some successful meals with Huel. Tiny win but I’ll take it 🥲
How’ve you been yourself? :slight_smile:

1 Like

30 Nov 2021
Lunch Huel before an absolutely packed day for work! Back to back 10am to 10pm I am exhaustedddd. So glad to have Huel on days I can’t be bothered with cooking or cleaning up.

Ohh and thank you to everyone who gave the tip about swirling and adding more water on top of the powder before shaking! It worked! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

• After this shake, I noticed that I wanted to keep eating even though I felt satiated. But I guess the benefit of Huel is that it’s pretty clear that I literally just ate like 400 nutritious calories—what I need isn’t more calories or nutrients, it’s most definite NOT eating until I’m stuffed that I’ve gotten used to, but maybe it’s another need that I’m not addressing.

I’ve started trying to, whenever I eat, try to pause and think “Ok what do I ACTUALLY need right now?” because this is something I noticed (and not gonna lie, I laughed; you’re allowed to laugh at me too :P)—

thirsty? eat
cold? eat
stressed? eat
tired? eat
sad? eat

Does anyone relate or is it just me :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I can relate! I’ve started to reach for water, or some sort of herbal tea instead, which kind of helps.

1 Like

1 Dec 2021
Happy new month!

Was tempted to “save calories for later” since my weakness is night eating, but I know I’d be setting myself up for failure so here we go, lunch Huel! Consistency is key and helps my body learn to trust me one day.

1 Like

2 Dec 2021
It’s so disheartening because I’m still steadily gaining weight—I mean obviously, if I’m having massive binges at night and consuming thousands of calories on top of my regular meals…so I’m always tempted to skip my lunch Huel—“hey that cuts 400 calories at least and maybe you’ll gain a bit less weight?” but I know logically that’s not the solution.

The solution isn’t to cut out this perfectly nutritious and satiating meal, it’s to tackle the emotional eating and night binges. And so we continue with lunch Huel:

3 Likes

Hey @Hawky! Hope you’ve been well and hanging in there. That literally sounds like me—so solidarity, you’re not alone!

I’m still finding my way around OA, but it’s actually pretty insane because in the last month or so I’ve now met so many people who face compulsive eating too (and many who’ve recovered) and it’s finally given me a shred of hope.

This link’s been really useful for me (it has all the info, tools, meetings, resources and support), thought I’d share it if it could help you too! OA.org

There’s even a “Am I a Compulsive Eater” quiz (Take the OA Quiz - Overeaters Anonymous), to which I basically found myself responding “yes” to all :sweat_smile: :woman_facepalming:

2 Likes

4 Dec 2021
Lunch Huel before going off for a long day of recording a work presentation, it kept me satiated for the day! Glad that I can just drink my Huel and move on with life, honestly that’s the biggest draw of Huel for me—I can just continue to concentrate on whatever other activity I need to do after fuelling up.

2 Likes

5 Dec 2021
Daily Huel :slight_smile: As much as I’m struggling with my eating, I’m still trying to at least get my Huel meal in.

1 Like

7 Dec 2021
Slipping up into bad habits again a bit. Dang this is tough.

Also I forgot to bring my lunch Huel to work yesterday so I made sure to have it today—I ended up having to spend 3x the amount buying lunch yesterday, so this is another upside of Huel! Pity they’re raising the prices soon though :cry:

1 Like

9 Dec 2021
I might still be struggling with overeating, but I’m not going to stop trying to have proper nutritious meals.

And hence we’re still gonna Huel.

2 Likes

I don’t know what your personal situation is, but I can tell you what really helped me, and that was simply this - don’t have food in the house that is going to tempt you like that. Most of what I eat these days is Huel, but I do still need to go to the supermarket for thinks like milk and coffee, so I try to never go in a supermarket when I’m hungry, so I don’t get tempted by impulse buys that will sabotage my goals. I don’t keep any food in the house that will sabotage my goals, but this is easy for me because I live alone with 2 dogs, and dog food has never been something I crave!

1 Like

Physiological hunger is one thing - getting enough calories and nutrients in a healthy way is just part of the story. Sometimes even a surprisingly small part. Emotions are the problem. Like an inner emptiness, lack of perspective, unsolved problems in live, feeling alone or desperate, having no interests, boredom, craving for something “nourishing” - if that is not available otherwise it is available in form of calories. Although this is a bad surrogate. It can’t replace what one really needs, so the emptiness and desperation remains and has to be “filled” or “cured” again - just with the wrong medicine; because an alternative does not seem to be readily available. Not available in a convenient form.

If often wondered whether convenience is the problem. We prefer it, we look for it, but maybe it is not as good as it seems to be in the first place. Maybe we have to invest into something, not always choose the easiest way. I don’t mean that with regard to food alone - but everything else. Convenience is a way of life. Always looking for the easiest way - or hoping for it - is a way of life; but maybe also one that promotes an inner emptiness?

I ask it because I don’t know it. I haven’t found an answer myself.

2 Likes

15 Dec 2021
Over the last week I realised my main problem seems to be the night eating/bingeing, not just the sugary junk. I can overeat on literally anything at night, it’s just been serving the function of zoning out and decompressing after the day through mindless eating. So unfortunately I gotta tackle that and find alternatives and a new routine.

From today, I’m going to try not to eat after 8pm (after dinner), and have 3 square meals. Back to basics.

To kickstart this new plan, let’s have some Huel! All prepped for tomorrow’s Meal 1 :relaxed: I know it’s going to be a struggle so stay tuned!

Meal 1 (Salted Caramel)—

• It was a struggle to stop after the meal instead of continuing to graze, but I tried to enjoy my Huel mindfully
  • I was pleasantly surprised at how much time was freed up for me to not constantly keep having to obsess over food, and prep, and that let me be able to do other important basic life stuff like take out the trash, look around and get some stuff done
  • It’s ~1.5h after I had the Huel and I’m still decently satiated. Not full, not stuffed, not hungry. That’s where I want to be at.

Meal 2 (Mint)—

• It’s 3.23pm and I’m feeling brain foggy and tired. Not sure if it’s just because I’m used to having sugar for the quick and temporary energy, or if Huel isn’t energizing(?) Not sure how this works tbh.
  • 4.42pm: Since I’m finally not grazing constantly, I’m actually enjoying being able to look forward to trying my Mac & Cheese dinner Huel for the first time!

Meal 3 (Huel Mac & Cheeze w extra veggies)—

• Had exactly the 102g serving and made it exactly (250ml boiling water and let stand).
  • First time I’m trying it, here are some thoughts: It’s not bad, I love how cheesy it was and can’t believe it’s vegan? Very saucy, almost too much sauce (I like that though). Are you sure it’s vegan and nutritionally complete??! No way, it tastes too indulgent to be true. I’m considering putting some breadcrumb topping on it and baking it, would make such a lovely casserole Mac&Cheeze too!
  • Overall, it’s really nice having this Hot & Savoury option, the prep is so quick and it feels less weird than “just having a shake” for a meal especially in winter and around my housemates.
  • But I would say the mac part seemed undercooked and too chewy, any tips on how to prepare this better?
1 Like

I haven’t read the whole thread so don’t know if anyone mentioned this already but you could try an intermittent fasting routing to get you into the habit of regulating your eating times.

Perhaps the less stressful one is a 16/8 fast where you consume your daily calories within an 8 hour window and the 16 hours part you have no calories so only water, black tea/coffee etc.

I found this one the easiest to do as the 16 hour slot can run overnight with the majority of it while you are sleeping. If it is too much to begin with you could balance out the periods a little more and work down to the 8.

You soon get used to it and it really helps you with self-discipline once you get into the routine.

2 Likes