POLL: Pre-bottled Huel, Yes or No?

Mainstream people won’t mix powder to make a meal, but they’ll happily buy a shake from a store and drink it.

Just look at slimfast, arguably one of the biggest “meal replacement” brands ( though clearly not full nutrition). They have powder for their die hard / bulk users and ready to drink for casual purchases.

Wow, this is a crazy result! Why the heck would a majority vote no to this? The question is whether or not to offer pre-bottled in addition to powdered, right?? The fact that Huel does not come pre-bottled is by far the prime reason I’m still hesitant about switching from Soylent.

To those who think not selling Huel pre-bottled would hurt the environment:

1. It’s arguably more wasteful to send the power or bars because their containers/packaging are not recyclable or bio-degradable whereas bottles could easily be. [EDIT: I did not consider the negative effects of more energy wasted due to the transport of increased volume of bottled Huel vs powdered, so this point does is not all that true]

2. What’s worse for the environment, a traditional western diet or Huel in a bottle? Because by advocating for no bottled Huel, you are actively promoting the continuation of people consuming a traditional western diet. How? Because bottling the Huel is how you reach a mass market. Think of it this way: what percentage of global beverage GDP is spent on pre-made drinks in a container vs the percentage spent on powdered drinks that need to be hydrated? My guess is that the difference is large, definitely over 50%, but likely closer to a 70% difference. If that’s the case, Huel is likely missing out on many times more customers than they currently have because this poll decided that they won’t put the formula in a bottle with water added.

No, it’s not.

The volume of space required to ship say 10000 calories is going to be insanely high compared to shipping 10000 calories of Huel as powder, pre diluted.

Not only will it take up more physical space, it will need more lorry space during logistics, hence more toxic diesel used on its transport. Once it reaches DPD, it then takes up more space in each and every van.

Due to its smaller calorie per unit volume, the user must order more often, hence the process repeats.

I’ll be disappointed if Huel make this switch, although I’ll still purchase my Huel once a month.

1 Like

Wow.

No.

Just no.

You should probably remove that line. It makes you look stupid. Hint: it is grossly wasteful to courier water around the planet.

Despite this you ought to be happy as I understand Huel announced a rtd product months ago, presumably justified by your second point &/or the lure of increased market share. I’m not aware of a launch date yet however.

Yes that was silly of me not to consider the energy expended by increased volume, and that much of said energy is likely generated from a harmful source.

Glad to hear about the upcoming RTD product though. I’ll make the switch and maybe bring some friends along too!

1 Like