Pre diabetic and Huel

Hi,

@JamesCollier @Tim_Huel or anyone else from Huel :slight_smile: (hope i don’t disturb)

I’ve had my blood analysis and it seems my glycemy is a bit too high. I have to have another one to check if it was just an exceptionnal thing or if it is pre diabetes.
What about eating huel in such situation?
Is the glycemic index of huel power of 27 (i’ve read that on the internet)? If yes, it means the glycemic load for 600 kCal is (27 * 150g)/100 = 37.2?

Isn’t it too high?
Is it safe or dangerous to heat huel for people like me?

Do I have to be careful to something else (fat?)?

Thanks

Hey @vanquish. I presume you’re talking about glycaemic load (GL), which is the total glycaemic effect of a meal.

You’re nearly there, but you multiply the glyaemic number of the food (27 for Huel Powder) and multiply by the grams of carbohydrate per serving & divide by 100. So for example, if you have a 100g serve of Huel, which has 37.1g carbs (based on Vanilla) you will get a glycaemic load of 10.

For reference, a GL of 0 - 10 is considered low. Whereas, a GL of 20 + is considered high.

If you want to read more about glycaemic index and load, head to the article here.

Hope that helps!

3 Likes

Oh yes, you are right thanks!
So Huel has a low GL and is suitable for me?
Are there any other things that can cause insulin spike? Other things in Huel such as fat?
How can Huel have such a low GL with the use of the oats flour?

Is the GL the same for all recipe (I heat U&U but hate it, i wanna try vanilia)?

Thanks

Hi @vanquish
You will be fine with Huel - from personal experience (and all the science - as quoted above by Rebecca), Huel doesn’t spike blood sugars, in fact you will find it a nice slow source of energy that will help you in your attempts to reduce insulin sensitivity and reverse your pre-diabetes (it can be done! I’ve done it myself).
Feel free to choose any flavour - they are sweetened with sucralose which does not affect blood sugar levels.

In answer to your question, it is the good fats, the high protein content, the complex carbohydrates and the high fibre that all contribute to Huel being digested slowly. Read the article linked to above and you will understand a bit more.

But, to put it simply: Huel will be very beneficial to you and so don’t worry about it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks

@RebeccaOfficialHuel what is the glycaemic index for Huel Bar v3?
Is it still 24 as said here for v2 https://eu.huel.com/pages/what-is-glycaemic-index-and-load ?
Meaning it has a glycaemic load of (23.7*24)*100 = 5,7 ?

Has it been tested WITH water? The final product that you eat?
Does the quantity of water have an influence on the GI score?

Hey @vanquish. Bar v3.0 is being tested as we speak! It takes a few weeks for results to come back but we don’t imagine it will be too different from the results you referred to with bar v2.

Take a look at the following article which shows the blood glucose response when 125g Huel (with ~500ml water) is consumed…https://uk.huel.com/pages/blood-glucose-response-to-huel-vanilla-v2-3-and-huel-original-v2-3

So to sum up, if i already have an high glucose rate in my blood (but not in the diabetes range), I can safely eat huel powder and bars? Without needing any medication nor having to fear to aggravate the situation?

What about protein? I’ve read that taking powder whey protein and or BCAA was not recommended as it creates a spike in glycaemy even if there are no sugar on it and because of leuecine.

I’ve stopped taking whey protein and BCAA but don’t really know what to do with highly proteinated food such as huel. My doctor has never heard about huel but he is not a nutritionalist. I’ve asked for seeing a nutrition expert but the first availability he has is in a month.

Come up quite a few times here about BCAAs and aside from a few anecdotes from visitors, there’s been an underlying consensus that BCAAs are unnecessary on a Huel diet.

Think the only time I’ve seen them endorsed was for fasted training and that was sketchy at best.

Most whole protein sources are sufficient.

Someone who has time to find links has already done so before, I just can’t find them. :frowning: