Probiotic? Which is the best one to take?

From my first and recent post I was wondering if someone can tell me the best probiotic they’ve taken since having issues with huel
Especially when it comes to the stomach pain/cramps and very bad flatulence :confused:

Let me know your thoughts - would be great to hear what’s working for people.

When I had those issues I stopped huel and take the udos choice probiotics from the fridge.

Got me back to normal eventually!

Probiotics probably won’t do anything for you.

They are definitely useful when taking antibiotics…not that you should be taking antibiotics if you can help it…but if you are taking antibiotics then you may not be healthy at the time. At other times I am not convinced.

Fruits, veggies, legumes and cereals are the best pro-biotics. Huel already has legumes and cereals even if they’re in powder form and so the sensible and obvious thing is to add some fruit and veggies.

You need to look up the definitions of ‘probiotic’ and ‘prebiotic’.

Good point, i had forgotten that distinction. Anyway plant food will provide some of both. If you know something extra that is good as probiotic, then tell us and it’s even better. :slight_smile:

Not sure any advice is still required but here’s a pretty useful article on choosing a probiotics. I’m not entirely convinced about everything Jon has to say…anyway…things to look for can be found about halfway down the page.

"A good probiotic formula is absolutely essential for long-term intestinal health, and long-term parasite control. When choosing a probiotic, look for the following characteristics:

Not all strains of beneficial bacteria are created equal. For each type of bacteria, there are recognized super strains. Choose a formula that uses only recognized super strains of beneficial bacteria – clearly identified as such on the label or in the company literature.Make sure the probiotic formula you choose includes the all-important supernatant – the medium the culture was grown in. The supernatant, contains a multitude of beneficial byproducts of the growth process, including: vitamins, enzymes, antioxidants, and immune boosters.Then there’s the question of how many live microorganisms are left in your formula when you actually use it. Pick up any probiotic formula, look at the label, and you’ll see something like: “Contains 13 billion live organisms per capsule at time of manufacture.” And that’s the problem: “at time of manufacture.”

The die-off rate for probiotics can be astounding. Most formulas will experience a die-off approaching log 3 within just 60 days of manufacture. That means that the 13 billion you see on the label may be down to 13 million, or less, by the time you use it. Heat and moisture accelerate the process, which is why most manufacturers recommend keeping your probiotic supply refrigerated.

There are many beneficial bacteria that can be contained in a good probiotic, but two are preeminent. To maximize the probiotic benefits, look for a formula based on these two:

L. acidophilus resides primarily in the small intestine and produces a number of powerful antimicrobial compounds in the gut (including: acidolin, acidolphilin, lactocidin, and bacteriocin). These compounds can inhibit the growth and toxin producing capabilities of some 23 known disease-causing pathogens (including: campylobacter, listeria, and staphylococci), as well as reduce tumor growth and effectively neutralize or inhibit carcinogenic substances.

It’s also important to note that L. acidophilus is the primary beneficia bacteria in the vaginal tract. When the presence of the acidophilus is compromised, this allows the bad guys such as Gardnerella vaginalis or E. coli or Chlamydia to take over.

Many researchers believe that declining levels of bifidobacteria in the large intestine actually mark the eventual onset of chronic degenerative disease. Bifidobacteria benefit the body in a number of ways. They consume old fecal matter, have the ability to remove cancer-forming elements (or the enzymes which lead to their formation), and protect against the formation of liver, colon, and mammary gland tumors.

More is not always better. Too many beneficial bacteria in one formula may find the bacteria competing with each other before they can establish themselves in separate areas of the intestinal tract. On the other hand, there are several other bacteria that are extremely beneficial in any probiotic formula.

L salivarius helps digest foods for a healthy intestinal tract and makes vital nutrients more assimilable. It also works to eat away encrusted fecal matter throughout the entire colon; it helps repair the intestinal tract by providing needed enzymes and essential nutrients; and it adheres to the intestinal wall, thereby forming a living matrix that helps protect the mucosal lining.L. rhamnosus is powerful for immune system support. It can increase the natural killing activity of spleen cells, which may help to prevent tumor formation. It boosts the ability of the body to destroy foreign invaders and other harmful matter by three times normal activity; and has been shown to increase circulating antibody levels by six to eight times.L. plantarum has the ability to eliminate thousands of species of pathogenic bacteria. It also as extremely high adherence potential for epithelial tissue and seems to favor colonizing the same areas of the intestinal tract that E. coli prefers – in effect, serving to crowd E. coli out of the body. At one time, plantarum was a major part of our diets (found in sourdough bread, sauerkraut, etc.), but is now virtually nowhere to be found.Note: a good probiotic formulation will usually contain fructooligosaccharides(FOS) which help promote the growth of beneficial bacteria. For some friendly bacteria, such as the Bifidus, FOS can increase their effectiveness by a factor of 1,000 times or more!!Guidelines For Taking Probiotics

One final note: start slowly. When you first start using a probiotic supplement, there is a chance that you will precipitate a die-off of bad bacteria in your intestinal tract. This can lead to gas, stomach rumblings, and cramping for up to three weeks."

In my experience the best probiotics are a healthy mix of probiotic foods i.e. Sauerkraut, kimchi, kombucha, kefir, yogurt etc. That way you make sure you are getting a good spread of bacteria.

If you go down this route you need to make sure you get versions from the refrigerated section of the supermarket or make your own. If they are shelf stable then they have been pasteurised, removing any probiotic advantage.

For the tablet options I have heard good things about prescript assist.