Questions about saturated fats and MCT coconut powder

Hi!
Why do you use MCT coconut powder as fats source, and not other like sunflower or a mix of oils (algae, blah, blah, blah, I have seen in other recipes)?

I read palm and coconut are a very undesirable source of fats. What are your reasons behind?

Thanks! :smile:

1 Like

Hi there
Thanks for your question.
Where did you read that coconut oil is an undesirable source of fat?

MCTs are medium chain triglycerides. MCTs are digested and processed in the body very easily, making them a useful and energy-dense source of energy. But their most endearing quality is, they can’t be oxidised. This means they do not contribute to plaque formation in cardiovascular disease aetiology and are just used for energy.

Huel does contain sunflower oil from the lecithin which provides essential omega6 fats.

1 Like

Hi, thanks for answering!

I think I explained myself badly. I commonly read about how much saturated fats have coconut oil and palm oil which are bad for cardiovascular diseases and increases cholesterol, and the benefits of getting rid of them.
I must say that I don’t have really knowledge about nutrition, so I look for answers :smile:

By the way… I find that 75g of Huel gets me too much full that I even can’t think about eating 100g. Is that normal? I have been eating Joylent for 2 months and Mana for 1 month and didn’t happen that.

Thanks again! :smile:

MCTs are saturated fats, but aren’t treated in the same way. Also, saturated fats as a whole have been unduly maligned over the decades. It’s more oxidised fats we need to worry about.

How regularly are you consuming 75g Huel? Do you make your Huel with lots of water or quite thick?

I eat it for breakfast, and now at lunch I am not hungry :
I make it with 1 part of Huel and 4 of water in volume (not 5 because I can’t shake it with that much water :P). 1 part in this case = 75g. I usually add extra water after shaking, so near 1 part of Huel to 5 of water.
I don’t know exactly, but for 75g I end with 650-700 ml of shake.

Oh, I think this time I made 85g because I used a spoon, fall more and “who cares”.
85g for a total of 650-700ml of shake.

@alfonson Have a read of these:

@alfonson feeling full is good, it means you are less likely to eat or crave junk food.

Joylent main carb source is maltrodextrin which is low is fibre and high GI which is probably the reason you don’t feel full on joylent.

“Maltodextrin is classified as a carbohydrate but that is just part of the story. Maltodextrin is actually just sugar. It’s processed, man-made sugar with a higher glycemic index than table sugar. It will spike your blood sugar and insulin higher, harder and faster than a spoonful of sugar.” Warren Pole. Read more here: http://intelligentrunning.com/maltodextrin/

Thank you both! :smile:

@Julian Your first link says:

The major adverse effect that is noted by beginning users of MCTs is nausea and gastric discomfort

Maybe that’s why I find too much full after eating. I will give it time :smile:

Oat powder has a lower glycaemic index than maltodextrin. This means there is a slower, more steady influx of energy. This, in turn, keeps you fuller for longer because the sensation of fullness is not just directly related to the volume in your stomach, but also to some hormones which are controlled, in part, by your energy levels.

Being full isn’t a bad thing, as long as you’re managing an adequate nutritional intake.

I started yesterday, so I will give it time :smile:
Thanks!

I would suspect the reason you are feeling full is the Oats. The MCT is only about 2% of the Huel formula.

Is it true that coconut oil has got ketones which are good for the brain? It also helps aleviate/prevent dementia too apparently.

HI Rach

Although coconut oil has a lot of health benefits, there’s no evidence that it prevents demenia.

2 Likes