Red/Orange bits in the Huel?

Hi,

Is anyone getting these bits in their latest Huel?

I’ve never seen them before, and need to understand what they are… they seem very out of place!

I don’t have the batch No to hand as I’m on my travels, but it was purchased within the last few weeks.

Thanks

That is the Lycopene.

To quote the Huel guys:

"Addition of Lycopene

Lycopene is a naturally occurring carotenoid phytonutrient. Lycopene is especially high in tomatoes and is partly responsible for their red colour (meaning that Huel may have some small slight red flecks). Lycopene is a potent antioxidant with a range of benefits (2). Antioxidants are required to quash free radicals, and can slow the aging process, reduce cardiovascular disease risk and reduce the risk of some cancers. There is particularly good evidenced that the long term use of lycopene reduces the risk of prostate cancer (4,5,6,7). We’ve added lycopene to Huel v2.0 as we feel its inclusion is of significant benefit to health."

Further info: Huel version 2.0 is now live!

3 Likes

thanks…

I haven’t had the time to read and digest that post…

The post is fairly buried now. Hope you are now less worried by the red bits!

Just disappointed that it’s not spiders, flies and other delicious insects to be honest Tim…

lol :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Haha you joke but cochineal is actually used extensively in food products :slight_smile: - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cochineal

1 Like

Hopefully not vegan ones lol

I’ve never actually noticed the red/orange bits before… In other brands, the lycopene dissipates as you mix and turns the yellow powder into a pink shake. A bit weird when you can taste banana but it looks like strawberry :confused: