Shoutout to the Huel flavour engineers!

When I started with Huel I ordered one bag of each flavour, confident that (though I’d probably enjoy some flavours a bit more than others) I’d find them all pleasant enough and no disappointments. So it was.

The only clues to the flavours I needed (or wanted) were in the names: ie 'Banana, tastes like bananas, 'Mint Chocolate tastes like mint chocolate, and so on. Happy about that! No surprises!

I don’t pay much attention to marketing descriptors like ‘fresh’, ‘indulgent’ or ‘delicious’, though they’re nice words to read. I like to make up my own mind by trying.

If I’d been less confident and wanted to try some flavours in smaller quantities I’d have gone for selection packs of RTD. Admittedly they’re not exactly the same as the powders but it would have been reassuring that Huel flavours overall are accurately described and all delicious.

The big surprise was how really excellent Original flavour is, my favourite by far. That’s the one with no clue in the name, a very pleasant surprise! I wish it was available in Black. :wink:

2 Likes

Couldn’t agree more. Best flavour out there. Will never get tired of it

3 Likes

It’s my favourite too. I would say the original Original was better but hey can’t please everyone.

I wish pot noodle would give a more in depth breakdown of their flavours. That would be amazing.

1 Like

Pot noodles have a lot of umami factor which is somewhat missing for me with the hot huels. I think i might try adding soy sauce.

I add msg. Controversial but msg has a bad rep when it’s harmless

2 Likes

Me too! I add msg to most h&s flavours and it really helps make the flavours pop. I always have a Tupperware full of msg on the go so I can add a little bit to meals.

1 Like

I would like to quickly reign this in. Please do not shoot down another member of the forum for offering their opinion when that opinion is very reasonable and within the rules of the forum. They are the OP here too. If you want your questions answered by Huel staff and Huel staff only then you need to contact us directly, not come to a public forum.

I’m not sure what your agenda here is, but we are essentially talking about what our opinions are about flavours, which has already been acknowledged as entirely subjective. Perception of taste has a huge amount to do with genetics, it isn’t as clear cut as you suggest. We don’t have some big conspiracy to hide the ingredients from you or something. Flavours are commonly intellectual property, but of course abide by all food regulations.

I’ve already said I think a 1-5 sweetness grade is useful and will pass this on.

Me too, and a little does go a long way.

Thanks for this, off the back of your comment i have just ordered some MSG! How much should i add?

Not much. Taste varied from person to person but for one meal maybe 1/4 TSP. Try a bit less than that first and see how it is…not sure how much @Herbivore uses.

1 Like

I would say about the same. You need a lot less than you think. The first time I used it I put a tiny amount on some courgettes, they tasted amazing so I added more, and instantly regretted it. 1/4 teaspoon is a good amount!

1 Like

OMG! This MSG is an absolute game changer! It has massively improved the chilli

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.