Stoic life hacks

Hi, I see Huel as part of living a Stoic lifestyle. Along with cold showers and intermittent fasting. Does anyone have any other ‘life hacks’? I was thinking of sleeping on the floor one night a week…!

4 Likes

Suspend yourself by the testicles once a month…while being flagellated with barbed wire.

8 Likes

We call that ‘Tuesday’ in my house.

Well, I say ‘house’ but It’s more of a basement.

I say ‘basement’ but it’s more of a dungeon slash torture chamber slash testicles with barbed wire

8 Likes

I think part of stoicism is about removing life’s comforts, and I see how Huel fits in with that if you use food purely as an indulgence. I’m sure you could see it the other way around though, depending on your outlook on health. But I think there is more to living a stoic life than purely welcoming discomfort. Pursuing a good life, living virtuously and not getting caught up on the things outside of your control but rather focusing on those that you have the ability to change.

3 Likes

After this weekend’s craziness, no one knows how seriously to take anything anymore!

1 Like

Don’t bring your silliness here, we’re talking philosophy.

3 Likes

Sorry Master. I throw myself most humbly at your divine lotus feet and beg for your forgiveness with a thousand repentant obeisances.

3 Likes

So this is the first time I’m hearing about “living a stoic lifestyle”, but I just want to say, the rest of the things you described sound like difficult and miserable things you do because they’re good for you… but I see Huel as a yummy shake that I look forward to because it tastes good and makes me feel full and healthy and energised. I can’t imagine ever looking forward to a cold shower :joy:

3 Likes

You clearly haven’t been living in England this summer - cold showers were the highlight of my day at one point! :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Huel- check
Cold shower - check
Sleeping on a hard bunk bed - check
Living in a confined space - check
Hanging by the nuts (maried) - check
The barbed wire I’ll have to pass, ruins my tattoos

Do i qualify

5 Likes

Haha! I think that it’s a common misconception that Stoicism necessarily involves any kind of hardship whatsoever. Several ancient Stoic philosophers were known to be very wealthy people, living what would be considered extremely luxurious lifestyles. Stoics could range from people living in poverty to emperors! Here’s a book recommendation that dispels some of the myths for any potential Stoics willing to scrape together a few denarii… :laughing:
SX355_BO1%2C204%2C203%2C200

3 Likes