When Did the Flavour of "Original" Powder Change?

I’ve been away from Huel for a while, but decided to try it again, and tried the “Original” powder.

I remember the original “Original” powder (in 2015), and the first few updates to it. I liked that flavour.

This version does not taste like that. It tastes more like the Vanilla flavour which was later introduced, and which I did not like. It’s actually left me wondering whether some bags of Vanilla have been mislabled as “Original”.

Of course, taste is subjective, and there may be customers who like it. But for me, this is disgusting. I can barely stand to drink it.

No. It did change a few years ago and original now is not as good as original original. Can’t remember when it happened but at least 2 years ago.

yeah it was 2021 I think - during the pandemic time blur :slight_smile:

for me it was the increased sweetness that was masking the oaty taste but probably down to other factors in the 3.1 formulation too, I found that mixing it with some U/U brought it closer to the Original/Original - can’t remember the breakdown - maybe a third of the mix being U/U?

It was done because Huel moved all their flavours across the board to be based from natural sources and this is as close as they could get to the original original with using natural sources. It is quite different to original original, now it is quite malty and oaty IMO. It was quite a shock at first but I prefer it to original original.

1 Like

I’ve been experimenting with a variety of meal replacement products, so I might try mixing it with one of the others I have.

What about adding sweetener to unflavoured/unsweetened? Or some flavor drops? That way you could also choose the sweetener (as some seem to critical of sucralose here).

We made the changes quite a while ago, you can find all the deets on the change - What changes are we making to Huel Powder v3.0?

Would you say that this has been a recent change for you or have you been a come-and-go user of Huel? By that I mean did you used to use Huel and have now come back?