Why does Huel not include long chain Omega 3s?

@JamesCollier

Hello

I wonder if you could help me understand why Huel does not include additional long chain Omega 3s?

You define your approach to complete nutrition as providing ideal amounts of all essential nutrients as well as beneficial levels of other important nutrients for optimum health, energy and performance

Whilst ALA is the only technically essential omega 3; the myriad benefits of EPA and DHA specifically - to brain and body - make it incontrovertible that these essential to a ā€˜completeā€™ nutrition plan.

I know that Huel takes the time to specifically address this, and justifies that sufficient amounts of ALA are included to provide enough EPA and DHA via in vivo, but Iā€™m not entirely convinced that this is in line with the centre of mass of current research, which appears fairly unified that EPA and DHA need to be consumed directly and in sufficient quantities to achieve their effects.

Indeed, the International Society for the Study of Fatty Acids and Lipids (ISSFAL) statement five (http://www.issfal.org/statement-5) concludes that ā€˜With no other changes in diet, improvement of blood DHA status can be achieved with dietary supplements of preformed DHA, but not with supplementation of ALA, EPA, or other precursorsā€™.

My question then is why Huel doesnā€™t simply include EPA and DHA as part of its formula. The original source of these is algae, and so this could be done without compromising its vegan status, and surely this would give a more solid foundation to the ā€˜completeā€™ nutrition status?

Very interested to hear your thoughts.

2 Likes

Hi @nurserysafari

Thanks for this question!

Huel powders have a good amount of ALA from the flaxseeds. Most non-fish-eating diets donā€™t include sufficient amounts of ALA to address the poor conversion into DHA. Your quote mentions supplements of ALA. Huel is a food source and is very different from consuming ALA supplements which contain nothing else. Flaxseed provides lots of other great nutrition.

And also ā€¦

why Huel doesnā€™t simply include EPA and DHA as part of its formula

Keyword highlighted! Itā€™s incredibly complex to produce Huel products, you canā€™t just add/swap out different ingredients without it impacting something else. Namely other nutritional aspects, flavour and, of course, cost. These algae-derived ingredients are expensive so much so that they would make Huel prohibitive for many people.

5 Likes

Thanks for coming back to me James, very interesting.

Understand there would be a cost element to including algae derived EPA/DHA, although Iā€™m surprised that a brand as big as Huel couldnā€™t negotiate more favourable rates if desired?

Also, interesting you make the distinction between supplement and wholefood sources - do you know of research then that suggests wholefood ALA can be readily converted into DHA, where supplemental forms quite clearly are not?

All best

2 Likes

Understand there would be a cost element to including algae derived EPA/DHA, although Iā€™m surprised that a brand as big as Huel couldnā€™t negotiate more favourable rates if desired

Iā€™d hope we are in a position to negotiate more favourable rates, too! But, ā€˜more favourableā€™ than extremely expensive is still very expensive! And, of course, this would all be relative to the already ā€˜more favourableā€™ rates weā€™ve negotiated on the current omega-3 ingredients.

Also, interesting you make the distinction between supplement and wholefood sources - do you know of research then that suggests wholefood ALA can be readily converted into DHA, where supplemental forms quite clearly are not?

Thereā€™s a lot of research to sift through as Iā€™ve never been challenged on this issue before so Iā€™ll have leave this until time permits. This is quite interesting, though.

2 Likes

Thanks, I look forward to your synthesis of the current research. Also ā€“ not meaning to challenge, negatively at least, just to learn :slight_smile:

Why is i, do you know, that baby formula producers can fortify their products with long-chain Omega 3s (infact, have to, buy law), and it remains i) palatable ii) cost effective to the consumer and iii) doesnā€™t affect the taste (Iā€™ve not tried it, I assume it doesnā€™t taste of the sea). Do you know what source of powdered EPA/DHA they use in their products?

1 Like

Challange is good! :slight_smile:

I have no idea about baby foods, sorry!

1 Like

Understood. Gap in the market ā€“ Huel NewbornĀ® ???

2 Likes

I will also add from personal experience in testing algae powders that they taste and smell TERRIBLE.

I wouldnā€™t wish those powders on my worst enemy. I think until companies get better at masking the aquatic flavours that come with EPA and DHA, weā€™re not going to be able to include them into a Huel product.

My guess with baby foods would be that we need to pack more into Huel per 100g of powder, particularly fibre and protein, so this leaves less space for other things. So, we are often looking at higher concentration EPA and DHA powders, so there are less ingredients to be able to mask the flavours coming from these fats.

1 Like

Interesting, thanks

Interestingly enough, from my personal testing of algae powders, they taste fine. But Iā€™m also a person who prefers U/U, so maybe my tastes differ from majority.

2 Likes

Thanks @rikefrejut thats interesting + helpful.
Out of interest, which algae powders did you use and where did you buy them? Iā€™ve struggled to find any to buy for the consumer market.

I find everything that contains the term ā€œomega 3ā€ disgusting. And I think it is overrated regarding its benefit.

Iā€™m eating UU right now but to me the algae powders we tested had a really strong sea and salty taste/smell, itā€™s not something that I can see anyone enjoying. To me there was a big difference from something like fish oil capsules so itā€™s something we need to work on.

1 Like

Just thought Iā€™d chime in for those who have the same question and are in the US (I donā€™t think you can get this overseas): I am vegan and also care a lot about getting plenty of DHA/EPA in my diet. This started years ago when I noticed my focus and attention working better after every time I ate a big salmon dinner. Turns out itā€™s a thing. :slight_smile:

I have a solution that works great for me. Barleanā€™s sells a product called ā€œVegan Omegaā€ which is a flax+algae oil that comes in a bottle and is way cheaper than the algae softgels youā€™d have to buy to get an equivalent amount of EPA+DHA.

I give a squirt (about 1/2 tablespoon, judging from how long each bottle lasts me) in each bowl of hot&savory/instant meals I make. The flavor of the instant meals is strong enough that I donā€™t notice the taste of the algae oil at all, which is rather bitter on its own. (Iā€™ve tried eating spoonfuls of the oil straight up and itā€™s doable but unpleasant). I havenā€™t tried it in huel powder etcā€¦ I suspect a small but still adequate amount of it would blend into most flavors, but youā€™d definitely notice if you put a full tablespoon in.

I keep the bottles refrigerated to minimize the chance of it going rancid.

Loving the idea of baby Huel!! Is baby food subsidised by the government and therefore consumer cost vs cos to produce is skewed.