Gluten/Low carb/ Packaging

Hello Ladies and Gentleman,

Received my first order today. Tried it, is not bad, do not envisage any problems getting it down me. I used two 38g scoops to get approx 300cal meal with about 500ml water and mixed it in shaker. a little chalky and lumpy but fine. Felt full and no hunger cravings after first shake then a few hours later had second shake and did still feel a little hungry but will monitor and see how I feel after first week of doing 1200 calories a day from Huel and remaining 6-800 cals from normal meals.

It really annoys me when you get that seal at the top of the bags as they are awkward as hell and rarely effectively seal the bag and therefore allow air in etc! I kind of put up with it from Myprotein.com as it is as cheap as it gets. For Ā£45 a week Would like one of those plastic zips that lock the seal easily and effectively.

Also would definitely like this to be gluten free and would even pay more for a gluten free option.
Also would like to see a Low carb option.

Ok thanks for your time

Rich

I agree with the zip lock, but if they are trying to keep packaging to a minimum it would be a bit wasteful. I tried transferring it to a protein tub, but that made a massive mess so I donā€™t recommend it! I now use one of those large document clips; just roll the top of the bag over a couple of times and clip that on it. Not perfect but does the job.

I would happily return my bag for them to refill my orders perhaps

1 Like

this has no gluten in ?? its made of oats and peas and coconut and none of them contain gluten?

Oats are not gluten free unless they are stated as gluten free oats as far as I am aware?

So, oats do not naturally contain gluten, it is just contamination during processing etc that introduces gluten

I believe @JamesCollier commented about GF oats but I cannot remember which thread it is but from what I remember oats do not contain gluten but are sometimes processed or stored along side wheat. Oats that are specifically GF are processed in factories that do not store or process wheat but these can be a bit more pricey.

1 Like

Oats are not related to gluten-containing grains such as wheat, barley and rye. They donā€™t contain gluten, but rather proteins called avenins that are non-toxic and tolerated by most celiacs (perhaps less than 1% of celiac patients show a reaction to a large amount of oats in their diets).

@RichUK1 Once I have sealed my bag, I roll it up and put an elastic band round it, just to make sure.

The oats in Huel are not ā€˜gluten-freeā€™ by definition. They are probably ok for most Coeliacs, but the ruling from Coeliac UK is oats which are labelled GF should only be consumed.

Oats do not contain gluten but to be labelled ā€˜gluten freeā€™ they need to eb grown in special conditions away from wheat and/or other gluten containing cereals and stored away seperately in order to prevent potential cross contamination.

Definitely agree that the resealable mechanism is a bit dodgy. On new bags Iā€™ve had to de-clog them first before they will seal at all, as the fine powder gets stuck under the plastic piping. But the ā€œroll &clipā€ method should be a perfectly good workaround, as the bag is large enough that even a new one can be easily rolled plenty of times to prevent airflow. So long as you can find a good, strong clip (I use two clothes pegs), thatā€™ll work just fine. The ziplocks can be very temperamental, and if the zipper comes off, which can be quite easily done, then theyā€™re almost impossible to reattach

just run a knife inbetween the gap where the seal sits to get rid of the soylent. I do this with myprotein and huel and both seal fine. itā€™s just because powder gets stuck in there in transport.