1 month in for an IBS sufferer

Hi All

After reading some frankly hilarious accounts of the effects of Huel on new users (thanks for the honesty guys!) I decided to bite the bullet and try it… as someone who is a lifelong IBS sufferer, generally leaning towards IBS-D, most of the ‘non standard bathroom experiences’ seemed pretty normal to me so I figured how bad could it get really?!

The answer was a pleasant surprise… actually loads better! I did introduce it very slowly to be fair, initially with 2 scoops for breakfast and then normal meals. This had only positive effects on my IBS and I was quite shocked to find I wasn’t getting bored, I’m using the v2.3 gluten free vanilla with a bit of cinnamon and its becoming as familiar as a nice morning coffee now.

I did try replacing my lunch a couple of times too, but weirdly found that after 2 scoops for breakfast and 3 scoops for lunch, my appetite kind of died for a couple of days both times so maybe that’s just a bit much for me. No nasty side effects on the IBS front, I just didn’t want to eat much of anything for the rest of the day or the day after.

I’m now pretty much settled into having 2 scoops for breakfast and a 1 scoop snack in the afternoon, along with a normal lunch and dinner and so far I’ve found it to be really helpful. My IBS is generally much more settled and I feel a lot more confident knowing that I’m starting the day with a good balanced meal. I just prep the night before and grab and go in the morning which is spot on. The fact that its low fodmap means that even if I have a flare up and need to go back to basics for a little while, I know I can keep up with my routine so thanks for that!

The only thing I’m really struggling with is working out how often my subscription order will need to be if I’m only sticking to 3 scoops a day! :roll_eyes:

Hope this helps if any other IBS sufferers are on the fence about trying it! x

3 Likes

Hi Lindsey :grinning: I too have IBS and Huel has helped me tremendously. I have Huel for two of my meals, occasionally three, mostly for breakfast and lunch. Good to hear it is helping you too. You can always adjust your subscription delivery dates according to how it is spinning out. I like to have a few bags in stock so I know I’m not going to run out and I can do 100% Huel whenever I want. Unopened, Huel powder has a best by date of 12 months, so no worries there.

3 Likes

Do you think I need the gluten-free version as an IBS sufferer? Or is the standard ok? Glad to hear it’s ok for you!

Hi Alex

I guess it would depend on how you’re affected generally. Tbh I’m not gluten intolerant but I find wheat messes with me so I’ve been sticking to GF out of habit just to keep that down. I’ve also read quite a lot on the site since I bought that batch and I’m seriously considering switching to just the normal version for my next batch as it appears that’s pretty much GF anyway.

If you have a genuine gluten issue though they recommend sticking to the GF version and for the sake of a few quid i’d say its better to be sure about it.

Hope it works ok for you anyway, just give your body a little time to adjust and take it slow in the beginning! Tbh I’m finding my cravings have pretty much gone and my appetite is much better and more consistant… I’m guessing because I’m finally getting some decent nutrients in my system!

Good luck :slight_smile:

1 Like

Great thank you. I have gone gluten-free for my first batch, will try my mate’s gluten one for a shake to see how that feels and maybe switch, it saves a fiver. :slight_smile:

1 Like

This is such good news! My first shipment arrived today and I’m going to replace lunch with it tomorrow. I too have IBS (usually the D as well) and the only thing that really works for me is low FODMAP food which is really difficult and time consuming! Fingers crossed it works as well for me :crossed_fingers:

3 Likes

Let me know how it goes with you and @Tim_Huel feel free to use any of this feedback to help market Huel. I can definitely say even with only a week of use that my bowel habits have improved drastically and when drinking Huel I get zero symptoms which is a completely new experience for me! I have been tortured with IBS since 16 and tried all kinds of voodoo treatments, this is the real deal. Thank you so much for the research which convinced me to buy!

4 Likes

Hi Alex

Awesome that its working for you too! I have also suffered since my teens and its crazy the stuff you try to avoid it isn’t it. My next batch is due next week and I’ve gone for the standard rather than the GF version so I’ll let you all know I get on with that. Here’s to not having to constantly wonder where the nearest toilet is! :smile:

2 Likes

Hi Nikki

I’ve also found that low FODMAP food is the only thing that gives me any sort of consistent results but you’re right, it can be a real pain if you’re busy, and it sometimes feels so damn restrictive. I really hope you have some good results with Huel as it’s nice to just not have to worry about it for that meal. The flavour samples pack also helps to keep it interesting and none of them have caused any issues either.

Good luck! x

4 Likes

I’ve found low FODMAP and sometimes for immediate relief a peppermint oil tablet can help, but the medications such as Buscopan etc don’t do anything and probiotics also didn’t provide a solution for me.

1 Like

Agreed! I have mebeverine prescribed and it does nothing!

I find peppermint tablets or peppermint tea the most helpful.

Anyway, I’m on day 4 and all is ok! :+1:t3:

2 Likes

Hello,

I’m a newbie and I’ve just started on Huel.

I have quite a sensitive stomach, not sure if it’s actually IBS, but basically stomach aches and having the runs at least a couple times a week is completely normal for me and I’ve been the same ever since I can remember. I’m one week in on pure Huel (plus coffee and fruit/mint teas) and I’ve had no issues whatsoever, zero! This is a pretty HUGE revelation for me and I’m feeling great! More energy, happier, my other half says I’m more chatty and smiley and I’m generally in a better mood.

I do want to start having an actual meal in the evening, my plan was to be pure Huel for the first week then start to introduce food although I’m a bit nervous as I don’t want to stop feeling this way but I can’t live on nothing but Huel forever! I just need to find the right balance I guess…

2 Likes

Hi Drew!

Fantastic that you’ve had such a great response on Huel! Its awesome not to have to worry about it and it does make such a difference to how you feel generally, I swear its been like a miracle for me, I’ve hardly had any issues since starting it!

I feel like I need to say that long term stomach/digestive issues are never really ‘normal’ but I know exactly what you mean by normal for you, as I was in the same boat, probably from even before I hit my teens although the severity has varied over time. Might be worth at least considering having a chat with your doctor just so they can look at ruling out the more serious stuff but that’s obviously totally your call.

With reintroducing real food again, try sticking to low FODMAP stuff to start with, there’s quite a lot of info on the internet but try and stick to UK based resources if you can because the food lists can vary a bit depending on where/how produce is grown. At least you know that you’re getting complete nutrition for your first couple of meals with Huel so you can concentrate on introducing different higher fodmap foods and see how you react, then you’ll know what to avoid in future.

Its definitely worth taking it slow as I’ve personally found that I can tolerate quite a range of the higher fodmap foods providing I keep the amounts small and relatively spaced out. Just remember to add them in one at a time, and if something triggers you off, go back to your baseline until it settles again for a few days before trying something new otherwise you might end up cutting out more than you need to.

Best of luck to you anyway, I have no doubt that you’ll be able to introduce food back in and you’ll probably be able to enjoy it a lot more too! x

Regarding low fodmap food to be difficult and time consuming, I do agree that it can be. I ended up following elimination for over a year because I was too scared to reintroduce any foods and I didn’t have follow up appointments with the dietician. Eating out and travelling was always stressful but for my evening meals at home, I’d tend to eat normal things like chicken/beef/fish with various safe vegetables, so it wasn’t too awkward.

I always see poor newbies online going way overboard on the overpriced and mediocre gluten free stuff when it isn’t that necessary. Unless they’re coeliac, would be better spending the money on some proper sourdough!

I wish I knew about Huel when I was following elimination, would have made breakfast so much easier. Used to always have cocoa pops or Frosties with rice milk. Can’t stand the stuff now (the rice milk, not the sugary cereal :wink:)

If you need any tips for following LF, I recommend downloading the Monash app and joining some of the groups on facebook, if you haven’t already. Always great ideas there.

Yeah I’m all good thanks and fully checked out! Doc used to call it intolerances, basically if I cut out nearly all fruit and veg I’m fine but I can’t live like that personally! To be honest it’s actually been getting so much better as I’m getting older. :smile:

Anyway, into my second week now, getting through the first weekend was hard, usually a time when I eat non stop but I did it. I had my first meal on Saturday night and I was absolutely fine so I don’t feel so anxious anymore and I’ve planned 2 meals in for this week.

I tend to stick with the foods on the low FODMAP Food List. High, red; Low, green.

Update a few weeks into Huel: the initial euphoria seems to have worn off, I’ve found if I drink too much Huel in one go I can feel very bloated and I even had a little stomach ache the other afternoon having eaten only Huel. Think I need to make more of an effort to have regular, smaller Huel meals. Sigh. IBS is so difficult!

The positive news is that I haven’t gotten ill when everyone else is ill! Feel like the vits in Huel plus using hand gel more often is helping me!

2 Likes

Hi Alex

Yeah I find that, I feel like dealing with IBS is just a constant moving target tbh.

I tend to stick to 2 scoop portions and I find that having it for breakfast/lunch is just a bit much for me, although I’ve not tried breakfast/dinner with normal food at lunch to break it up if I’m honest. It does still have a massive impact on how settled my stomach is though, even if I only have one huel meal a day, providing I don’t eat rubbish at the other meals of course!

1 Like

It’s a drag sometimes and often I resign myself to the idea that i’ll suffer for the rest of my life! But then I get the odd streak of motivation and I start trying to cure it again, thus Huel being my latest venture.

I know what you mean re IBS. I get the same things happening even with Huel. Nowhere near as bad though, so am happy to stick with it. I find if I put too much water/almond milk in with my Huel I tend to get reflux as too much liquid in my stomach at once. I had increased from 400/450ml up to 600ml (with 2 scoops/76g) and had started to suffer, so have dropped back to 450ml.