6.4g of salt per day in v2?

We want people to scrutinise our label. That’s how we make Huel better.

We certainly haven’t blown off the communities complaints. Indeed, many of the changes to Huel that we’ve made come from us listening to the community. James is continuing to work and review 2.0, it’s certainly not something we’ve just ignored.

3 Likes

I really appreciate the way you guys listen to feedback, but from what I’ve seen there’s been no explanation for the high salt levels? So it certainly seems that concern has been blown off, for now at least.

The response that “only a little has been added” doesn’t really hold when the numbers disagree.

5 Likes

OK, maybe if I rephrase this all as a few direct questions?

V1.2 had a footnote on the nutritional info label saying that all salt was due exclusively to the presence naturally occurring sodium. V2 no longer says that, the implication being that the extra 3 grams per day it contains do not occur naturally in the ingredients and are being added. You’ve explained some of this is a tiny amount of sea salt, but as sea salt is listed last on the ingredients it is, by weight, the least of everything making up Huel. So I’m assuming sea salt doesn’t make up very much of the extra content.
All I’d really like to know as a customer is

1- which ingredients does the extra salt come from?
2 - is the extra salt something that could be omitted from the blend ?
3 - Are we likely to see the salt level drop to a safer level of, say, 4-5 grams per day in the foreseeable future?

If you could provide answers to any or all of those questions that would be great, as I need to figure out if I’m going to have to start looking for an alternative to Huel (which honestly I don’t want to do)

3 Likes

It’s certainly something you’re feeding to people. It may be a better idea to work and review it BEFORE you put it in the bags and sell it, not afterwards once they’ve noticed.

2 Likes

“The fluoride is of no health concern and there is simply no need to worry.”

This absolutely is blowing off community complaints.

4 Likes

With all due respect, its only a couple of months since you were saying Huel needed more salt in it, isn’t it?

It’s arguably a little disingenuous to then complain about it when they do go ahead and produce a mix with more of what you wanted shortly after.

Seriously though, I’m just after a little nutritional info from the Huel team that effects a preexisting health problem I have, and I kind of feel this thread keeps veering of from what I need to find out.

3 Likes

Please remember that precise dosage is vital to any argument here. It’s not so wrong to want “more salt” and then be appalled when someone goes crazy adding piles of salt to your meal.

You are dead right to want a more detailed breakdown of the sources of Sodium in Huel.

1 Like

I’m more interested in whether the sodium levels are likely to be lowered to be honest - if not I’ll move on, no fuss, no drama.
Look, the way I see it Huel produced a new version of their product, announced it, and put the new nutritional labels online in plain sight for everyone to read and make an informed consumer decision from. From my point if view they haven’t done anything wrong and I struggle to understand the viewpoint that they have that seems to be being voiced by some. Nobody is “going crazy and adding piles of salt” to anyone’s meal - and I don’t think that kind of hyperbole really helps anyone in the long run - is it really too much to expect people to read about what they’re buying before purchasing it?

Some of us had subscriptions for one product (v1.2) and had another product (v2.0) replace it with no notification.

1 Like

Oh. I assumed everyone with a subscription receives an email 3 days before shipment, the same as I do with my subscription. The most recent one explained there had been a change in the formula, provided links, and even refered to Huel V2 in the email title. There’s a screenshot of the email I received here (click the preview image for the full thing obviously…)

http://imgur.com/OszuyMv

That said, if people with subscriptions genuinely didn’t receive notification of a change before shipment, it should be a very simple matter to return it for full refund with the manufacturer paying return fees, having sent a substantially different product according to Consumer Contract Regulations.

2 Likes

We did change the emails and that notification goes out to everyone. I changed it on the Friday once we started shipping 2.0, so everyone who was going to receive 2.0 received that email.

@sanovine, if I said there was no conspiracy going on here, would you take my word for it?

Adding sea salt and fluoride to Huel costs us money.

1 Like

I’m sorry you feel this way; I was merely trying to reassure consumers not ‘blow them off’

Hi - happy to answer

1. sea salt
  2. yes, it could
  3. as per other threads, this is something I’m looking in to. However, I will be looking at information and weighing up both sides carefully and objectively.

Guys, I am taking these issues seriously, and I will address them. However, you only have my word on that.

4 Likes

Save money, and keep customers happy, don’t add them. They are not completely necessary and those who want them can add them to their diet themselves.

3 Likes

Yes, I rather thought you might have.

Look guys, you can’t blame a manufacturer if you don’t read the info in emails they send you. With the best will in the world it’s really your own fault if you’re not paying attention to what you’re buying.

Thanks for the answers, and I do appreciate this isn’t exactly something you can address overnight. If you could get the salt equivalent down to about 5g (or below) a day that would be great for me - as I mentioned, because of a preexisting health problem -, but again I appreciate you’ve got to do what’s going to satisfy the most customers. The way I see it I’ve got enough v1.2 in the cupboard to be able to mix it with v2 and keep my salt intake at something appropriate for a couple of months, and I’ll see what’s happening then.

OK, great then. As far as I’m concerned you can lock this thread now :slight_smile:

I can take your word for it that there’s no conspiracy, but I’m still waiting for an explanation as to why you thought it was appropriate to increase the salt level to unsafe amounts. The reasoning behind fluoride is understandable, even if it’s weak and misguided. But there is no excuse for the salt fiasco, and no excuse for the poor communication when pressed about these issues…

5 Likes

One of Huel’s competitors - Nutberg - have a novel solution to an analogous problem:

Why not just add a bunch of Salt sachets to every order? Heck you could do it with Sugar too. It’d be cheap and users could opt-out of receiving them if desired anyway.

Edit: You should also add a small tube of toothpaste. For those desperate to consume Fluoride.

7 Likes

Haha, I thought of the same thing the other day. Throw in one little sachet of salt per huel bag, with a note that says “if you eat 100% Huel, throw one sachet into the bag”. Solved.

As someone who is Sodium deficient and has to remember to add salt to my food to avoid the mental degradation and depression it causes I’m glad Huel has the RDA of salt. Sick of people with half baked ideas claiming it’s best to have little to no salt in their diet; we need it for healthy neuron function.

2 Likes