Anyone experimented with exogenous ketones?

I love Huel but noticed something: whenever I added something with sugar to my Huel I’d be more alert than if I consumed only Huel. I suspect that being low carb means that to the brain Huel sits between a full plate of white rice and a keto meal. As such, has anyone experimented with exogenous ketones to make the old processor work faster when on low carb meals?

Nice question, may I ask what do you eat normally when not eating Huel?

Our bodies are very flexible and our reactions to specific foods depends also on what we’reused to…

I’m also interested in exogenous ketones and MCTs but for now I’ve nothing valuable to say.

Same as everyone else, rice and pasta. But that has nothing to do with ketones.

-> https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17011713

You’re aware of this right? Ketones are psychoactive/recreational drug.

Ketones do NOT make your brain work faster, actually there is some evidence they make you less capable mentally. Ketones are mainly for the fun. :slight_smile:

They (exogenous ketones) also do NOT help with weight loss. They should suppress appetite, but they don’t make you burn body fat more efficiently or better.

You’re aware of this right? Ketones are psychoactive/recreational drug.

Did you read it? Because it’s a hypotheses.

Ketones do NOT make your brain work faster, actually there is some evidence they make you less capable mentally

No, it’s what your brain consumes when there’s no glucose. And I’m going to need some evidence on that claim, as you go against everyone who does the keto diet. Clear minds is one of the repeating claims by people who do that diet.

Ketones are mainly for the fun.

This is the first time I’ve heard of anything remotely like this.

They (exogenous ketones) also do NOT help with weight loss

You’re going against what everyone says about the keto diet and you provide no evidence.

Maybe not ketones by themselves but being in ketosis does cause weight loss.

Yes, but it seems very plausible and reasonable to me. How else do you explain the “euphoria” that seem to happen quite often when people do fasting?

Eheh, truth is funny and you don’t hear it often… :slight_smile:

About ketones slowing you down mentally, I’ve heard there was a NASA study proving that, but I don’t remember the exact name and I didn’t read the study.

Feel free to search for it. Or search another study that prove the opposite. The fact that everyone is saying the opposite isn’t saying much.

In general, when everyone say something about something new and exciting and spectacularly profitable, you can safely assume the exact opposite is right.

Anyway, personally I’m interested in ketones for the recreational aspect.

In general, ketones are naturally occurring during starvation/fasting. From what I’ve understood, they’re a natural painkiller and also a natural stimulant. They should encourage you to be more productive. This does NOT mean that you’re smarter. But you should be more hard working. :slight_smile:

That’s my interpretation of anedoctal evidence i’ve heard around.

Overall, you see, it makes sense. When one is starving, it’s obvious that nature has invented something to encourage us to “do something” to fix current mess… :smiley:

P.S: And during starvation your body goes into energy saving mode. It doesn’t go into “energy wasting” mode. It’s the exact opposite. Do NOT trust the hearsay. Trust your reason.

By the way, if you’ve some money, order one package and try?

Then you tell us how did you feel.

I’ve heard one guy reported that he did feel “like a robot” when in ketosis.

Yes, but it seems very plausible and reasonable to me

Cool story but we need evidence.

Eheh, truth is funny and you don’t hear it often…

Again, I need evidence otherwise it’s a theory and everyone has those.

About ketones slowing you down mentally, I’ve heard there was a NASA study proving that, but I don’t remember the exact name and I didn’t read the study.

You guaranteed me that everything I knew about ketones was wrong and turns out everything you know comes from a study you heard about but never read and can’t even remember the name? Are you serious?

Let me explain: it’s true. It’s actually true that when you first go into ketosis your brain slows down, it’s called the keto flu. But this is a transition phase that lasts from 2 weeks to 2 months and can be managed, ie, you only go through it if you can’t use google.

Anyway, personally I’m interested in ketones for the recreational aspect.

Stop fiddling with ketones. You’ve done zero research and show a very cavalier attitude to the whole thing. Don’t mess with anything until you take research a bit more seriously.

Can you at least do some light googling? Ketones are produced by your liver when your glucose levels get too low. They’re what keeps your brain going when the body runs out of glucose.

And when this happens naturally? Not even the eskimos (near 100% diet of pure polar animals) (the polar animals have more body fat than normal animals) were normally in ketosis.

My advice is to use your head more and to use google less. I also can recommend Wikipedia. It’s not particularly accurate but it’s very good for mental stimulation.

P.S: From what I’ve heard, normal people need at least 24 hours fasting to go into ketosis. From 24 hours to 72 hours. It takes that much time to run out of glucose for brain. It’s not common. It’s fasting. Fasting happens only during famine or when you run out of money or when you’re sick.

I give up.

-> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argumentum_ad_populum

You’re trying to employ this here but I don’t give much weight to this kind of argument.

1 Like

-> https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17717222

“Anesthetic properties of the ketone bodies beta-hydroxybutyric acid and acetone.”

And so it turns out that acetone is psychoactive too!

“Beta hydroxybutyric acid and acetone are anesthetics. Both ketone bodies enhance inhibitory glycine receptors at concentrations observed clinically in ketoacidosis. In addition, beta-hydroxybutyric acid enhances GABA(A) receptor function at these concentrations. Subanesthetic concentrations of these drugs may contribute to the lethargy and impairment of consciousness seen in ketoacidosis.”

This article also confirms experimentally the “hypothesis” of the previous article.

Another interesting link (you can find more by searching Post-exercise ketosis in google):

So it’s not just fasting, it’s also endurance exercise coupled with low carb diet.

Old age and untrained seem good for going into ketosis, it may be good news for you.

EDIT: Alcoholism is also “beneficial”: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4776050/