Bitter aftertaste - is it the sucralose?

Hi all,

Had my second Huel today - original vanilla with a strawberry flavour shot.
The first Huel made me feel a bit sickly and I struggled to finish it.
After having the second one, I’ve realised that it’s the bitter aftertaste that is making me feel sick.

I’ve seen lots of comments about Huel being too sweet or too protein-esque in flavour, but has anyone else struggled with the aftertaste? It seems to get worse the more I drink of it and if I think about the taste too much it makes me want to gag. Any suggestions on what to do?

I’m thinking of trying fresh fruit to hide it, but as it’s an aftertaste I’m not sure if this will help!?

Thanks in advance!

Sorry to hear you aren’t getting along too well with Huel. Bitterness is quite a weird one as some people really taste it and others don’t. The only way to try this would be to get the Unflavoured Huel and compare it. For now try refrigeration or adding ice. Blending with fruit may work too. Let us know what you think.

Do you drink coffee? If so, you might want to add a couple teaspoons of instant coffee to your Huel.

Won’t that make it more bitter?

Theory goes the ”natural bitterness” of the coffee masks the ”artificial bitterness” of the sweetener. But if you don’t like any bitterness whatsoever obviously it’s the wrong solution.

1 Like

I’ve put raspberries in my Huel today. The bitterness isn’t completely gone, but the taste is so much bettter! Once I get through the Huel I have I’ll try the unflavoured and see if I prefer it. Thanks for your help!

1 Like

Thanks for the tip. I do like coffee so I might give it a go :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like