Carbonara - my wish came true!

Hey everyone!

I got my carbonara yesterday I had a bowl straight away, just tucking into my second bowl for today’s lunch and wanted to share my thoughts.

Firstly, my hopes were high for this one, as its one I’ve requested and I’m a massive carbonara fan. Obviously I wasn’t expecting it to be the same as when bought in an Italian restaurant, but regardless I was excited.

First impressions

When you first get the bag, it’s likely going to need a really really good shake. My first shaken wasn’t enough, all my pasta was at the top, but on shaking at all angles for a good 20 seconds there’s a nice balance of pasta to sauce powder and vegan bacon.

The smell is nice and creamy, I did wonder if it would be heavy on the vegan cheese smell / taste, which would put my partner off, but he agreed it smelled good.

Cooking

When cooking I found it needed quite a bit more water than other h&s options, personally I like to add enough water that it’s like soup and then microwave until cooked and a nice consistency so this might be different depending how it’s cooked, but the amount of pasta in there is likely what soaks up most of the moisture.

The consistency of the sauce once cooked is beautifully creamy and smooth, and it isn’t at all skimpy on the pasta which is great.

Taste & Texture

The taste and texture of the carbonara is extremely creamy, with just a hint of vegan cheese flavour, but not enough to stop my vegan cheese averse partner from demolishing a bowl just now!

The vegan bacon is delicious too, the flavour reminds me a lot of bacon bits (those little crunchy bacon flavoured things if you know what I mean) a little salty, a little smoky and overall really tasty. Texture wise it reminds me a lot of a thick cut ham.

The Verdict

What can I say, I love it. I did find it needed a little salt and pepper, and today I did also add a small pinch of msg to bring out some of the flavours, but that’s just my personal preference and I tend to add a little seasoning to all my h&s.

Overall I think this is going to take the top spot as my favourite h&s yet. I was a little worried it might not keep me as full as the others due to the amount of pasta in a serving but honestly I’ve had no problems other than wanting a second bowl because I enjoy it so much.

My only regret is that I only ordered one bag!

Hope you’re all doing well!

Aura

Ps. Thanks @JamesM_Huel for the Christmas wish come true!

2 Likes

Good to know this one is decent, as I’d only just seen it and curious to add to an order.

Is there any particular reason why this bag costs more than the others though?

Awhh, so pleased you like it Aura!

It’s defo my favourite too. And probably the most popular Huel product for lunch at our offices. Some of our savoury range needs a bit of skill doesn’t it in order to get the right ratio of ingredients in your bowl/pot and the way you prepare it for your own preference on texture. But when you crack it, it’s amazing : )

Open to any more suggestions on the range - thanks!

James

Absolutely, h&s have been an absolute game changer for me, but you definitely have to learn to prepare them to your own tastes.

I was on huel for every weekday main meal for a few months so definitely got my practice in!

Will be sure to add to the h&s suggestions post I made as I have new ideas! Amazing to know the suggestions are actually being heard, I didn’t actually think anything would come of them in all honesty!

@MCalavera I’m not sure sorry! I hadn’t even noticed, I’m so far into my huel obsession I don’t even notice the individual prices now as I know they’re worth it! :see_no_evil:

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.