Chick'n & Mushroom Pasta, which mushrooms?

So the Chick’n & Mushroom Pasta in ingredients for the mushrooms all its says is “Wild Mushroom Powder, Dried Mushroom”, my wife has been having some recently and has started to feel nauseos, stomach pain, bloating and upset stomach. She only gets these symptoms has her mushroom intolerance flairs up, as far as we know, Shitake and Porcini mushrooms cause it, we are currently unaware of others due to not wanting to risk it.

So I was just wondering if there is any information on which mushrooms are used for these two ingredients.

No idea, maybe it varies according to what’s available on the global mushroom market?

Suppose if Huel used specific mushroom types they’d advertise the fact, but if I had a mushroom intolerance I’d steer clear, wouldn’t want to risk it, as you say.

Enokitake, Button, White Beech, Brown Clamshell and Oyster Mushrooms account for more than 85% of global edible mushroom production so chances are, it’s one of those but who can say – the marketing spiel just says ‘wild’ mushrooms.

1 Like

The wildest mushrooms I ever had were picked by the television mast in the Mendip hills. I was tripping for hours. They should put them in Huel

1 Like

Hot & Savoury with added background radiation? Ready Brek glow in the dark snacking!

1 Like

I fear you are taking us a bit off topic Phil. But I’ll run with it. Not The Nine O'clock News Ready Brek Spoof - YouTube

1 Like

guilty

At the risk of ageing ourselves for those of you who don’t know what Windscale is – it’s a British nuclear power plant that leaked like a sieve – over a 50 year period they averaged a serious leak every two years (including deliberate and accidental leaks) of plutonium and irradiated uranium particulates. In time honoured tradition, they didn’t fix it – they just rebranded it as Sellafield.

1 Like

I should have taken a detour to do a bit of sightseeing as I drove down the M6 yesterday and was only an hour away.

I did look across to see if the sky was glowing.

Hey there, welcome to the Huel forum! To help, this flavour uses mushroom flavouring, not an actual whole mushroom itself, however, the details from the flavouring itself are confidential- I do apologise for that! Please shout if I can help out with anything else :slightly_smiling_face:

Mushrooms in Europe also seem to have a relatively high contamination with radon - but I guess you were refering to a different kind of mushroom, one that is not legally available.

Back to topic: As epicure said, with an intolerance it is always better to stay off something that might cause problems. Umami taste often comes from glutamic acid, an ingredient that may also cause problems for sensitive individuals. Is there another flavour or product you could imagine having instead?

Maybe the Huel team is even nice enough to give you a free bag to try - as some kind of compensation for not telling you the exact ingredients. Sometimes you get something from the company for free; the excellent customer service is one of the main benefits of Huel.

Companies aren’t obliged to divulge any information beyond what’s required by law, & it’s likely to be in their interests to avoid doing so. We shouldn’t expect to be compensated for the fact that they keep their commercial information confidential, including what exact materials they use.

1 Like

They don’t have to publish it for a general audience, but for people with allergies the information should be provided.

Nope. Only so far as legally required to. Food allergies is a minefield.

People are allergic to so many things and not all need to be listed. They’d run out of space on the packaging.

1 Like

correct :slight_smile: Labelling has to identify what are classified as major and/or life threatening allergens - so the FDA for example requires eight foods to listed: milk, eggs, fish, Crustacean shellfish, tree nuts, peanuts, wheat, and soybeans. The EU is pretty similar but also adds celery, gluten, lupin, molluscs, mustard, sesame and sulphites.

They didn’t exist when I was a kid. We just got on with it.

Now I know someone with a kiwi allergy and another with an allergy to latex. I said to the latter, don’t have anal sex with a man wearing a condom as you may die from anal(pro)phylactic shock.
Another has an allergy to pineapple…but hopefully won’t shove that up their arse.

unless they are big fans of Adam Sandlers’ Little Nicky - and TBH, big fan and Adam Sandler are not words you often see in a sentence.

Hitler enjoyed it

indeed

1 Like

I think you’ve gone off topic again. I’m in.

1 Like

Hitler enjoyed Adam Sandler? The more I hear about that guy the less I like him.

2 Likes