Coronavirus and shippings

Disagreed, if you react this way to this strain of flu you should react this way to every virus. They all work the exact same. But it’s pointless arguing about it if you’ve made up your mind so i’m going back to the shrug ¯_(ツ)_/¯

They don’t all work “the exact same”, otherwise we wouldn’t need words like “strain”.

This one has a low(ish) mortality rate, and often mild symptoms, so it spreads easily and people don’t take it seriously. It also has a very significant hospitalisation rate for at-risk groups. If we had a vaccine, it would not be a serious problem. We do not have a vaccine yet.

Hey you thought I thought you were 100% serious? a) it clearly is a sensitive subject some people care more about than other. b) you’re also clearly being a bit overly relaxed about the virus. Of course there’s some hysteria, probably too much even yes. But we don’t close schools or borders for the common flu, so clearly it is not “the same”

So I think you are the one who made up their mind.

1 Like

Maybe read back over your post, i’ve not thrown any insults at anyone, you’ve just thrown two at me, take a breath, maybe take a 5 minute break from the internet or something.

Using your shrug emoji and talking down upon others is not a matter of opinion.

3 Likes

It’s hard for anyone to know what they “should” do without clear guidelines.
For example
If I stay at home, how do I feed myself?
Do I stock-up? Apparently not
If yes… how much? How long am I expected to stay inside and not have contact with anyone else?
Do I do an online shop?
What if I’m a picker and packer at a supermarket? I could unknowingly infect every item I pick up.
What if I’m a delivery driver?
So who stays at home and who doesn’t?

If everyone stays at home, there will be no healthcare, no pharmacies, no food, no toiletries… all these things rely on people still going to work.

I don’t follow the news, but it’s been impossible to avoid all this concern around the virus.

People do seem to be in two camps: panic or carry on as normal.

The problem is real. I have a friend who’s parents are in lock down in northern Italy and she may never see them again if they get ill.

Dismissing it and saying it is scaremongering is being insensitive to all those genuinely at risk and all those who are going to lose loved ones.

Panicking isn’t going to help either.

What’s the middle ground? What’s the most sensible thing to do? It’s hard to know

8 Likes

At this point I think

It’s bait

I don’t know. A lot of people are very invested in believing everything is ok. I can understand it, but it’s not helpful.

3 Likes

Yeah but Boris has to act on that advice

Guess what Spanish flu was a strain of; 100 million dead.

3 Likes
1 Like

Not necessarily, I’m talking about a separate phenomenon whereby they seem to get it about a tenth as often, relatively. I’m clarifying this to explain the possibility that they might carry it less, but as said before, last I saw it felt inconclusive. However it seems there may be evidence that this was a known element of SARS and MERS as well, which will have been better studied.

1 Like

I hope that turns out to be the case.

Yup. Which is why I say it has to be about personal responsibility. So to take this example, which is based around the decisions I’m currently making about managing risk and what I can do to slow down the spread.
So my profile, I’m single, live alone, no children, work from home the vast majority of the time (as in I might go into the office once every 3 weeks). I have no living grandparents, parents in their 70’s who are both fit and healthy and don’t live locally and I see them about every 6 weeks.
So, last night I went to the theatre as public events are still happening and I didn’t want to lose the ticket. If I was still immunosuppressed like I was after my cancer treatment I wouldn’t have gone. If I was seeing either of my parents in the next two weeks then I wouldn’t have gone. If I was due to be in the office in the next two weeks, and could potentially infect someone else I wouldn’t have gone.
So it’s a balance. If you move to full lockdown too early then compliance suffers and it isn’t effective. It isn’t realistic to say to the entire population don’t leave your house except to go to the supermarket in case when you are at the supermarket you end up stood next to a vulnerable person. Those who are more vulnerable are also responsible for managing their own risk. If people I work with are more vulnerable then I’d expect them to work from home and manage their risk.

The sad thing is as soon as you rely on people to use common sense things start to fall down.

4 Likes

Why do you keep going on about the flu? It’s not the flu at all. Please stop spreading misinformation.

3 Likes

It is a strain of flu. That is literally a fact. I’m sorry that you consider facts misinformation.

I’m out of this topic now, this is silly.

No it really doesn’t. Like I said, it’s about personal responsibility and managing risk. You know your dad is at risk so you have to take responsibility for actions you take that affect him if you are going to be in contact with him. So either, you go to the pub and don’t spend time with your dad, or knowing you will spend time with your dad, you don’t go to the pub as that increases the risk that your actions will increase his chances of becoming infected.

That doesn’t mean we should close all the pubs. The entire population cannot be responsible for everyone else’s risk. It doesn’t work unless each of us takes personal responsibility for our own risk and that of our immediate social circle.

Hey everyone. Can we play nice here. Keep the conversation on topic. Please see the Rules

Please treat this discussion forum with the same respect you would a public park.

Please avoid:

• Name-calling.
  • Ad hominem attacks.
  • Responding to a post’s tone instead of its actual content.
  • Knee-jerk contradiction.
1 Like

Half the symptoms are different, different mode of spreading possibly, different mortality rate. it’s not the flu! All the experts are saying it isn’t the flu. I’m not quite sure why you are so blaise about it and strong arming others into being this way also.

The susceptible will die. They will fast track to pneumonia and those with lung or heart conditions don’t fair well with respiratory failure.

I don’t think people should panic, but I do think they should be sensible and realistic. People die if others don’t help restrict the spread of such things.

6 Likes

sorry i posted before I read this. Pls delete if appropriate.

1 Like

I am, I’m wearing a flasher mac and have dogshit on my shoe as I type.

3 Likes