Coronavirus can improve your diet

Oh I knew before this no chocolate stash lasts long in my house, stocking piling is me lying to myself. I was in the confectionary aisle last week and saw the sadness and dismay on the faces of those who ate the months stash of choccy in two days.

Can I just say thank you to Huel!

This corona time would be a lot more stressful without Huel.

I know I’ve got a few weeks worth of food (Huel) should the shops really run out or I can’t go out due to illness etc.

If someone really wanted to self isolate, without even going out for food, I’m sure the Huel products could help with that.

Huel is literally a life saver (unless I die of Corona;)!

1 Like

I went to Tesco today for my parents, and they have plenty of everything. Except pasta! I held off going last week to avoid the dipstick throng, and it seems like things are back to normal, at least in my neck of the woods.

My local Morrisons today is fairly well stocked. Haven’t been myself but heard through the grapevine. They even have flour which has been hard to find recently. They have a new queueing system in place and it’s not particularly busy.

I reckon enough people stocked up last week to keep the supermarkets quiet for the rest of the month.

The supermarkets are the only ones doing well out of this.

Disney must be doing exceptionally well, specifically due to this. People who might otherwise question spending money on another streaming service are forking up the cash readily.

There was still no toilet roll or reasonable analogue at my local supermarket. By ‘reasonable analogue’ I mean closer than spinach.

2 Likes

they certainly are here - no mad panic buying as such but that didn’t stop the stores from preemptively increasing the prices 50-70% on everything. Tesco are charging almost double the price for the bottled water I usually buy. Every little helps - scumbags.

It’s not quite like that here in the supermarkets, although I see that Tesco has stopped all of its offers (you know the BOGOF things etc) and there has been a small increase in some things. Price gouging has happened but not by the major retailers.

I think there are regulations here which prevent Tesco etc. from profiteering. And without that, I don’t think they’ll make much money from this. A big surge in spending right now, but a big dropoff in the next few weeks because everyone has a kitchen full of food, and bog roll that’ll last into 2021.

Most profiteering has been arseholes buying up stock and then selling it on. Also my friend told me about the garden centre her son works at. They brought in a load of pet food they don’t normally sell, so they can can justify staying open, and employees are still expected to go in.

I wonder how Huel will do. They’ll be selling a lot more right now, including to people who never tried it before. Will they retain those customers, or will they all associate Huel with the year everything went to shit?

“Tell us about Covid-19, grandad.”
“Ah yes. That was the year everyone had to stop being selfish bellends for a bit. We stayed in and watched every single episode of Star Trek: Voyager, and we had to live on fucking Huel.”

I just did a quick check on the local store delivery service – compared Tesco (supposedly the cheapest domestic supermarket) with one of the more high end ones. They are still taking the piss massively. That’s about £2.60 for a 1.2L bottle of water – a 1.5L bottle of the same brand at Tesco in the UK is 90p.

They are in the process of selling their businesses in Asia, so I guess instead of having a fire sale to clear inventory they’ve decided to capitalise on the current situation and gouge as much cash as they can.