Does contain Cysteine?

Apparently it’s an amino that causes bad smelling wind.

Also what’s the best way to add fibre to a huel based diet to avoid constipation?

Thanks

Brown rice protein (4th largest ingredient by mass in Huel) is high in cysteine. My speculation is that it is 4th, whilst pea protein is 2nd, purely to ensure that the 2 grams of SCAA (cysteine and methionine) requirement is met.

The best fibre source for preventing constipation I have found is psyllium husk.

Huel contains 139% of the recommended daily amount of fibre, so no additional fibre is needed. The fibre in Huel is a mixture of soluble and insoluble forms all naturally supplied from the food ingredients, mainly from oats and flaxseed, and provides more than most modern solid diets. The high-fibre content of Huel helps to ensure the formation of normal, solid stools in healthy users.

Fibre acts like a sponge, so it’s important to consume lots of water when using Huel. The Huel formula has been designed to maintain optimum digestive system health. Moreover, you may well have heard about the beneficial soluble fibre in oats called beta-glucan; well, Huel is loaded with this cholesterol-lowering fibre; ideal for a healthy heart.

1 Like

Thanks, Julian.

I have tried Huel before and find it bungs me up pretty quickly, which I think might be what causes the terrible wind I get from Huel? Could be the protein though?

I love Huel but the bad wind always makes me stop having it whenever I give it another shot!

1 Like

That is interesting! I wonder if the brown rice is giving me the bad gas when I have Huel?

Maybe I should try psyllium husk alongside the Huel? Is the physllium a power - can I put it in the Huel or have it seperate as a drink/

Psyllium husk does come as a powder. I found psyllium husk powder from myprotein gave me the best effects: http://www.myprotein.com/sports-nutrition/powdered-psyllium-husks/10530061.html

I found it worked with my DIY recipes (never used it with Huel), but as it is high in soluble fibre, if I left it too long and didn’t shake before taking a drink, it would feel like there were soft pockets of gel in my shakes. Soluble fibre absorbs water and forms a gel which aids with digestion, which is why this happened. I generally just downed my shakes, but I’d imagine shaking every time you wanted to drink some would break these pockets down (although they weren’t altogether unpleasant). I didn’t like having psyllium husk on its own or in water though, I needed some flavour to get it down (although it doesn’t have an unpleasant flavour really).

@JCW Huel doesn’t cause wind. The change from food source. For example if you switch from one diet e.g. vegan to paleo, you can experience flatulence and irregular bowel movements, tiredness and/or cravings, etc. It’s not that the diet is bad it’s due to changes in the gut’s microbiome based on their new food source.

We recommend that when you start your Huel diet, you first try replacing 1 meal with Huel, and then after a while (approx. 5-7 days) you could progress to replacing 2 of your daily meals (and then 3, 4, etc. if you want to go 100% Huel). This will allow your body to slowly adjust to Huel.

Thanks. I did taper up on my second attempt when I tried the gluten free.

On my first Huel attempt, I moved to near 100% pretty quickly so was sure to avoid this on my second attempt some months later.

With my second attempt, I just had one shake a day for a few weeks but even that caused problems.

I find it hard to believe that there isn’t something in Huel that I am ‘intollerant’ too which is causing the problem, whether that’s in general or from having lots of it - whatever it is!

My current diet isn’t that different to Huel. I don’t eat meat apart from fish a few times a week. I have oats most days. I do eat quite a bit of bread though and it’s quite low in protein overall, compared to Huel.

I take probiotic supplements.

The fact that you take probiotics will probably make it harder to truly isolate the source of your problem.
I for one am fairly sure that for me personally the source of gas is most likely pea or soy protein Finding the cause of bloating

@zoltan there is not soy in Huel.

The farts from huel are insane

I eat 400grams worth a day and it really is shocking

Im actually surprised by how bad the smell is,its like actual rotten eggs, which i dont understand atall basd on the huel ingredients

1 Like

Thanks. I wasn’t taking probiotics the first time around with huel.

Maybe I should get some pea protein and try it on its own.

I seem to be fine with oats cooked in water.

In the past I used to get bad wind from whey protein shakes. Don’t take them more though.

Thanks for clarifying that, however I was referring to product #2, which comes with soy protein isolate and has caused similar bloating that I tend to experience with Huel.

Personally I think it’s just a matter of time. I believe the vast majority will get used to it in the end.

Persevere. The wind / digestive upset does go away in time.
That said I work alone so maybe I’m not quite as conscious

I would persevere if it was just me, but my mrs and kids got really sad by the shituation.

Also, I do yoga and a close contact sport and farting during those sessions isn’t really an option.

1 Like

how long does it take to go away ? It’s been 2 and a half months so far with 100% huel and i still contaminate my environment.

1 Like