Double-Barrel Question: Long Term Use & Sugar Intake

Hi Everyone,

I’ve just started using Huel as a complete food replacement. For my lifestyle, it’s perfect, and is a great improvement over my current diet. I’m curious about a couple of things though;

For those of you using Huel exclusively, have you noticed any problems? I’m worried about my oral health over a long period of time, and wanted some feedback on what to expect.

Keeping my aim focused on those only consuming Huel, I’m also interested to know how you account for the lack of sugar in the product? It’s only 7% of the recommended daily intake, and while in our obese society sugar is considered the devil, I want to give it a little ‘top-up’. I was tempted to add a spoon of sugar in a couple of shakes a day, although fruit would seem like the most healthy option, and could also negate my concerns about oral health if I’m chewing an apple a day. I’d love to hear your thoughts!

Thanks
Ben

Hi @Failwin,

I don’t think you need any extra sugar. Your body will make enough sugar by digesting the other ingredients. No need to top up with a dose of actual sugar. However, it might be good to get qualified nutritionist @JamesCollier to give his take on that, just to confirm.

Regarding oral health, I think my teeth feel generally cleaner when I’ve been eating “normal” food. It must be because there aren’t big solid bits of food that are likely to get stuck between the teeth. But again, I’m no dentist.

All the best,
Marcus.

Hi
Welcome!

Oral health. Huel doesn’t contain mush sugar and is not very acidic so there should be no orla health issues. Of course, we recommend you maintain good oral hygiene and follow your dentist’s advice.

The ‘recommended daily intake’ of sugar is based on levels the Health Education Authority are trying to reduce to. We don’t need sugar in our diets.

There’s no need to add any addtional sugar, but it’s your choice. Including extra fruit in your diet is always a good thing, however, whilst I would NEVER discourage people from consuming fruit, chewing an apple per day is not, contrary to popular belief, good for your teeth: apples contain acetic acid and it’s acids that dissolve enamel. If you do consume fruit, then remember to clean your teeth well.

1 Like

Hi James,

That’s reassuring, thanks for the info. I used apples as an example, but in reality I think it’ll be berries, grapes, and melon.

Thanks again
Ben