Huel and dental health

Hi all,

I just had my first three-scoop serving of Huel. Didn’t have issues with clumpiness or taste. I actually thought it tasted quite nice, even with no external additives.

This may be a mickey-mouse question, but I thought it would put my mind at ease to here it from the masters. I assume there’s nothing in Huel that could possibly damage our dental health, assuming bi-daily brushing?

This is most likely a stupid question, given that the other stuff we put in our mouth probably impacts our teeth even worse.

Thanks in advance.

I was initially wondering the same thing, as during my first week, my teeth weren’t feeling great, they were quite sensitive and felt dirty after drinking Huel, but then I realised I was making the Huel mixture too thick. Now that I’m weighing the powder and adding the correct amount of water, my issues seem to have gone away. Still I do intend to discuss it with the dentist at my next appointment.

The primary causes of tooth decay are sugar, poor oral hyiene, dry mouth.

Huel is extremely low in sugar, less than 4 grams of sugar per 2000 cals. That is less than a teaspoon, and only 4% of the EU reference intake.

1 Like

I think it’s a good idea to drink plain water in between portions of Huel, and to swish it around the mouth to give it a bit of a clean.

Helps get rid of the flaxseed if nothing else; even so, I usually have a quick check in the mirror as there’s usually a few bits here and there, but then I am drinking it quite thick.

Whenever I prepare a Huel meal I also have a glass of water to drink shortly after. That seems to get rid of any remnants. If it’s a thick mixture it does stick to the teeth a bit so I do sometimes give my teeth an extra brush after my lunchtime drink.

1 Like

I was going to start a topic on this but found someones already started it so I’ll continue.

For those that are long term users of Huel, how have you found your feedback from the dentist?

My teeth are fine apart from I have a problem where they are being worn away because I grind my teeth. I now wear a guard on my lower teeth to help with this.

So, no problems caused by Huel in 16 months of use.

i’ve read in another forum that an user of powder food lost a tooth as he was a long term user of this feeding and he wasn’t chewing for a long period of time, any studies about this? shall we get worried (heavy consumers)… thanks

I’d recommend chewing some healthy gum, just in case. https://www.peppersmith.co.uk is fantastic.

I’ve been wondering about the lack of chewing with Huel, rather than the pure dentistry side. We’re designed to chew! So if we’re not chewing - the 100-percenters especially - what are the potential long-term effects of that? Jaw muscle wastage? Less saliva production?

I might reintroduce the lumps, just in case… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

People who lived in early city states often suffered from premature tooth loss. It is thought that a soft diet (mainly a porridge or gruel) contributed to this, but poor hygiene, disease and malnutrition were also factors.
I think long term, the jaw muscles would get weaker, but to what extent is hard to determine as we would still be using those muscles for talking, yawning, etc.
Chewing stimulates saliva, and people with a higher saliva production generally have better oral health.
There aren’t many studies because it’s not ethical, and rat studies aren’t reliable because we have quite different teeth to rodents.
But replacing teeth is expensive, so if on 100% huel it would be sensible to include something to chew on, to be safe.

1 Like

Here’s a funny thing; I retail Forever Living products, I don’t do pushy sales or anything so don’t worry! However, both hubby and I have been drinking the gel for 3 months and using their toothpaste. He had his dental check up 2 weeks ago. The last few times he’s been there, he’s been told off for receding gums and them being ‘stage 3’ and ‘close to gum disease’ (I don’t know too much about it as I’ve always had strong oral health).

He went a couple of weeks ago to be asked what he’s done, as his gums health has reversed and there’s nothing wrong with them now. We couldn’t work out what had changed until he was pouring his bed time aloe and then said he reckons it’s been the gel and toothpaste! I’ve spoken to a couple of dentist friends who have intimated there are properties in both that could well be aiding oral health, but because it’s a natural/holistic product and not medical, then no absolute tests have been carried out.

And that’s my only offering on dental health, haha! x

forever living is one of the better MLM product lines to be honest. I used the gel for several months earlier this year and I loved it. Especially the peach one! I bought from a rep but she called me up 4-5 times trying to recruit me so out of annoyance I stopped buying from her and bought on ebay instead. Aloe vera has a ton of beneficial properties, though forever living products tend to be on the expensive side of the market.

1 Like

Completely agree. I’m happy to pay the cost as I know that the products are cruelty free and their plantations in Texas and the Dominican pay their workers a great salary, plus health/social care and they invest in education for their families, so for me the cost contributes to the human element too. And of course the high quality of the stuff.

I am not interested in recruting anyone as I HATE that! I think enthusiasm for the products and people seeing the benefits are what attracts people.

I have a whole bunch of Festive deals on the go, so if you ever want a look to compare prices, let me know.

Absolutely loving my skin now that I drink aloe and use the propolis creme!

I did make myself laugh here - you’re right, but then if I go to 100% Huel, I won’t need teeth!!

2 Likes

Well, they also help for pronunciation, so I wouldn’t want to give them up.

1 Like

Where would I look for this particular type of toothpaste, FeeRa? (my dental health isn’t superb) I’m quite intrigued by the idea of this gel also - although the idea of a gel that you drink is new one to me :sweat_smile:

That’s unlikely. Stage 3 means bacteria has destroyed the connective tissues and bone that support the teeth, specific dental treatment is urgent at that point to stop the teeth from falling out due to lack of support - aloe and toothpaste won’t ‘cure’ it in a couple months.

There is peer reviewed research in a few areas that show how helpful aloe can be in dental health, but the sample groups are small and so far it’s only classed as “encouraging”.

Also worth noting it really needs avoiding if someone is pregnant or breastfeeding.

2 Likes

That’s why it was in inverted commas. His words were ‘stage 3’ but when I googled it, it reads to me that it was likely to be a 3mm receding as you are correct with the medical definition of Stage 3.

He has been told for the past 6yrs to use the interdental floss pokey-things, which he’s never really gotten into the habit of.

But genuinely, his dentist told him his gums have gone from being at risk of gum disease to nothing wrong with them.

I would put it down to either the Aloe or us going veggie, although he’s been at the dentist 4x since going veggie and once since drinking and brushing with the aloe stuff.

Making no claims at all as it’s not a ‘medical’ product, but equally it won’t harm our health :slight_smile: