Far too much sweetener and not enough sugar

I do agree with Lurka that the taste of the sweetener is definitely noticable. I heard the reason for the nasty aftertaste of sweeteners has to do with the molecular structure, as it clings to the tongue in a different way than sugar does. Like Lurka I can identify sweetener in anything I eat, and I personally am unable to drink soft drinks with sweetener. This is actually one thing I hate about the UK; a lot of products that are sweetened with only sugar in my home country have sweetener here, for example Fanta and Lipton Ice Tea. I canā€™t take the taste of them.

I will still take the current version of Huel over sugary Huel any day of the week, since I can tolerate it. :smile_cat: The current level of sweetness delivered is ok.

1 Like

I agree, absolutely avoid sugar at all costs - just saying Sucralose aint what yo mama would have recommended :slight_smile: All a silly argument anyway, Iā€™m happy with Huel unflavoured as the baby Jesus had intended it to be :wink:

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2007/feb/15/foodanddrink.ethicalfood

Good article about tastes and their changing over the years

1 Like

Having tested the unsweetened one multiple times, I can confirm that sweetener is then better option. The amount of sugar you would need to make it bareable would be a stupid amount. I used so much sugar I still couldnā€™t drink it. in which case it would be very unhealthy and high in calories. With sweetener being around x10 sweeter or whatever it makes sense to use sweetener.

Sucralose is actually 600 times sweeter than sugar! So it would be quite a bit of sugar.

3 Likes

@Lurka - just goes to show itā€™s a matter of taste, I find plain Huel quite sweet and the sweetened simply sickly. I start gipping if I try and get it past the back of my throat. When I started my Huel journey sweet was all there was, I threw out two whole bags because I couldnā€™t find anyone who could stomach it. The unadulterated version has a light nutty flavour, I drink it three times a day 6 days a week with nothing added :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi there

Iā€™ve just made my first order but was under the impression that the sweetener used in Huel was stevia which is a plant based sweetener. It is sucralose thatā€™s used?

Thanks

Sucralose comes from sugar which also comes from plants (e.g. cane / beets). The ingredients list is in the front page, you can see it uses sucralose.

1 Like

Stevia is used in the flavour packs.

I think it would certainly be possible for the taste of a sweetener to be genetic. The bitter taste is defined by your genes, some people taste it and some donā€™t so I donā€™t see why the same may not be true of the taste some experience with our Vanilla Huel.