Fecal impaction

I’ve been eating one Huel meal every two days for the past month and been diagnosed with a light version of this a few days ago: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fecal_impaction
I’m not saying there’s a correlation between the two, as I also drank less water, went to the gym a bit less and started a more sedentary job, but I just wanted to know if anyone had similar problems?
Again, I’m not blaming Huel, just want to examine all the possible causes and change my habits accordingly. I’m also aware that drinking a Huel every two days couldn’t have changed my digestive process too much.

No I certainly don’t have the same problem. Fine and regular.

Dear god I wish I didn’t read that. Definitely going to buy some fruit now…
I wouldn’t have thought that drinking one every two days could possibly be the cause or even a big contributer.
Get well though, aye :3 How is it being treated if you don’t mind?

I imagine increasing your Huel meals would actually help avoid this, assuming you don’t pay a great deal of attention to the fibre in your ‘normal’ meals. Anyway… good luck :hushed:

3 laxatives/day for 5 days - that should loosen things :slight_smile: Hope it works. I didn’t know this problem existed, which is why I want to identify the cause.

I have a Huel-alternative two meals a day. My poop is nice and regular. But beige.

I also increased water intake; I’ve read too many people on different forums who incorrectly assume that since they are drinking their meals, they don’t need additional water.

1 Like

I’m sure the water discussion comes up time and time again. The best advise seems to be - if you’re thirsty, drink. If you’re not, don’t.

"So where did the great water myth come from? It’s generally believed that the source is a 1945 Food and Nutrition Board Recommendation that declared, “a suitable allowance of water for adults is 2.5 litres daily in most instances. An ordinary standard for diverse persons is 1 millilitre for each calorie of food”. As you might have guessed, 2.5 litres more or less works out to be around eight glasses. But what’s usually ignored from that report is the crucial next sentence: “Most of this quantity is contained in prepared foods.” "

1 Like

The article you’ve linked does raise an interesting point about some obvious flaws in the recommended guideline amount for water intake. However, with any government recommendation like this, I think the keyword here is “guideline”. There are literally hundreds of things that could effect an individuals water intake needs.

I would also (in my opinion) try to avoid referencing articles from sites with little to no evidence of there statements. It’s all too easy to get caught out by these “Broscience” type articles these days.

If you are interested in seeing some scientifically backed statements on this all too common discussion, I would go to the following links on NHS or World Health Organisation.

Cheers,
J

1 Like

Were your bowel movements previously fine? Have you changed anything else in your diet?

Yes, they were fine. Actually, I thought they were normal right until I went to the hospital with lower abdominal pain and an x-ray showed that I was, ermm, full of shit. The doctor said most people are surprised to hear the diagnosis because their bowel movements seem normal.
I didn’t change anything else in my diet. Maybe it’s because of a new job where I sit on my butt most of the day?

1 Like

Hi @equi - it’s really strange and I can’t see this being down to Huel especially as you’re using so little. But please do keep us posted.

Don’t know if that is related to Huel at all but I had something, which may be similar. I have started with 2 Huel meals for a week, which went without any problems. I have then increased it to 3 for the next and at the end of that week I had a funny experience of being constipated but having softish stool at the same time. It’s now gone and I am still a happy Huel user. Maybe it was a moment of adjustment or the fact that I have fallen back closer to 50% Huel.