First time flavouring - help!

I’ve been a long-time user of Vanilla Huel and (with the exception of one strange packet of v2.1) have always enjoyed it. I’ve just bought my first bag of U&U and a chocolate flavouring. I mixed the U&U and tried it - pretty tasteless, as expected, but so far so good. I then added some chocolate flavouring, blended it up and was pretty saddened by the gelatinous substance I found! It really was like a jelly, and totally undrinkable - not just bad tasting, actually undrinkable, like a mostly set jelly.

Now, obviously I am doing something wrong, as people are getting on pretty well with this. Any hints?

Cheers!

Interesting to hear your experience with U/U, as you’ve been using Vanilla before I assume you mixed it in the same proportions? Was it about 5:1?

Was the U/U OK in viscosity before you added the Chocolate powder?

I personally don’t use the U/U Huel but will try and get to the bottom of it. Oh and how much chocolate powder did you add?

Hi Tim,

Thanks for your reply. Reviewing my recent messages on here, it seems like I only appear to complain, which is unfortunate because I mostly love Huel!

Yep, the mix was fine before I added the chocolate, and yes, about 5:1 water to Huel. I was just wondering if anyone had experienced this before and realised they were doing something stupid.

Cheers,

Simon

This sounds oddly like something i’ve experienced adding pure cocoa powder to a 50/50 Vanilla/UU mix with a 5:1 water to huel ratio.

Blended up the huel by itself and the consistency looked normal. Added 2 heaped tea spoons of cocoa powder before blending again and it was looking surprisingly thick. I left it in the fridge overnight and i had to spoon it out of the bottle as it had almost completely set.

I didn’t think much of it at the time and just mixed it with a lot more water the next time around.

When I use the chocolate flavouring I only tend to use about half a teaspoon. 2 heaped teaspoons seems a bit much?

@Dave_Herod I was using 2 heaped teaspoons of normal cocoa power not the chocolate flavour packet. The flavour packet has cocoa power as one of it’s ingredients and if i were using it then, yes, i’d be using much less!

I’ve been drinking Huel for 3 weeks now as a convenient option for dinner that actually makes me feel full.
This week I have discovered the easiest flavouring option that is low effort and also helps with Huel’s consistency - add 1 tbsp of Nesquik to the 3 scoop in one protein jug and it helps Huel dissolve!
I think it breaks up the dry huel powder and is water soluble so helps break down the chunks.

Would 10/10 recommend

Was there any resolution to this as I found, also with the unflavoured and Chocolate flavoura adding, it would become far more thicker than I was used to.

It almost became like a thick yoghurt. I aim for a 5:1 ratio as discussed.

Nope - I’ve treied it again a few times, always with the same result. It becomes almost jelly-like if I add anything over 1/4 teaspoon. I have found, however, that I can add the flavouring to vanilla Huel and it blends well and is pretty tasty.