Following a PT nutrition plan - Replace some meals with Huel?

Hi everyone,

I’ve recently invested in a few PT sessions and a nutrition plan has been included. I’ve been really enjoying using Huel for the past year and due to my laziness around breakfast/lunch during the working week, I was hoping to keep using Huel for these meals IF it will provide the same nutrition offered up by the plan.

The plan follows below. Could someone offer advice on whether the breakfast and lunch/dinner is easily replaced with Huel yielding the same results? And if so, how much Huel?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!

BREAKFAST

• 3 Whole Eggs
  • 2 Egg White
  • 40g Porridge
  • 1 Banana
  • 80g Pineapple
  • 1 Coffee (if you want)
  • 7g BCAA

GYM - Post workout straight after
25g Prot ISO Whey 25g protein
7g BCAA
1 Banana

LUNCH

• 60g Rice (Basmati, Brown, Black or Whole-wheat Pasta)
  • 200g of (Chicken Breast, Turkey Breast, Lean Beef (not over 5%fat), White Fish)
  • 1 small portion of Vegetables (Broccoli, Kale, Salad, tomatoes, Squash)
  • 1 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
  • 1 Coffee (if you want)

MID AFTERNOON

• 1 Apple (if hungry)
  • 1 tbsp Peanut Butter

DINNER

• 60g Rice (Basmati, Brown, Black or Whole-wheat Pasta)
  • 200g of (Chicken Breast, Turkey Breast, Lean Beef (not over 5% fat), White Fish)
  • 1 small portion of Vegetables (Broccoli, Kale, Salad, Tomatoes, Squash)
  • 1 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil or 1 medium Avocado

ALTERNATIVE

• 40g Rice (Basmati, Brown, Black or Whole-wheat Pasta)
  • 200g Salmon or Mackerel, 240g beef (10-15% fat)

PRE-SLEEP – If more than 2.5hrs between dinner and sleep

• 1 tbsp Peanut Butter
  • 7g BCAA (Always take)

@TimOfficeHuel

Hi Tim,

Could you advise on this at all? Sorry if it’s already been covered. I’d find any help incredibly usefull.

Thanks!

I guess you’d have to calculate how many calories in the breakfast for example, along with how many grams of protein, fat and carbs are in it.

Then see if you can swap this for a corresponding amount of Huel. You may find Huel isn’t high enough in protein for you, so you might need to add some protein powder to it.

That nutrition plan is pretty damn good. If you’ve got the time and patience, I’d follow that. It’ll be much better than Huel!

Thanks guys, I guess it’s mainly the breakfast one I’m looking to replace as that’s a lot of work (and food) for an early start!

I’ll weigh up Huel vs the food and see what the best option is.

In case anyone cares, I’ve worked it out for the breakfast section:

Huel Per 100g
Energy: 400 Calories
Protein – 29.7g
Carbs – 37.4g
Fat – 13.1g

Suggested Breakfast Total
Energy: 693 Calories
Protein – 47.3g
Carbs – 56.9g
Fat – 30.6g

Huel 175g - Roughly 4.5 scoops
Energy: 700 Calories
Protein – 51.78g
Carbs – 65.45g
Fat – 22.93g

Slightly different, but not far off. Also sounds like it’ll be quite a lot to stomach! Good to see it laid out though. Will do the same for the lunch/dinner and post for reference.

You’ll need a bloody big shaker for 4.5 scoops, trust me!

I just bought a 900ml Nutri Ninja cup, that can just about handle 5 scoops.

That’s great you’ve worked out the comparison, and it doesn’t look bad at all in terms of difference. However, you’ll need to mix 175g of Huel with around 875ml of water and if you drink all of this in one go it’s a lot to stomach! But, give it a go and see if it works for you :slight_smile:

Alternatively, you might want to either sip it over an hour or so, or split it into 2 smaller meals.

Sorry for not seeing this one. I actually couldn’t have worked it out for you as I no longer use the program I have done in the past. Really interesting seeing it laid out like you have done. Obviously one of the key bits of Huel is the vitamin and mineral profile, I’d love to know how these meals compare on VM.

I would definitely split any Huel meal that is over 500kcal into two meals. My lunch is usually 2 x 4-500kcal meals, maybe one at 1pm and the second between 3 and 4.

I think Huel would be a great resource for you when you can’t make the breakfasts as planned, I’m just imagining preparing this breakfast everyday and thinking about the washing up!

Thanks for the tips! Might split it into two, one before leaving the house and one on the commute to work, which should make it a bit more manageable.

Trying to cut out meat/dairy as much as possible, so I think this is a good option. Managed to get a vegan blend protein powder too.

Cheers!