Gamechangers and thoughts

Watched the film, also some of the debunked ones. It’s truly a shame that there is so much misinformation. Cameron has invested heavily on vegan foods. Could be because he believes in it, but also for commercial gain.

I also understand that some athletes should have gone into the movie. But did not, because they have given up on vegan diet because of performance issues. And that the other athletes made their gains while being a omnivor, and now credit began lifestyle to those gains.

I really wish there was one truth…

I agree because the film doesn’t need it. There’s plenty of evidence and benefits that can told at face value.

I would like to think it’s the former, a lot of what he says in the film I agree with like “planning ahead” makes a plant-based diet a lot easier.

I know less about this. I will agree with the film on this that they portray you don’t need meat to hit top performance, which I think is true. Plant-based diets are still a small percentage of a population and then put that into an even smaller population that is athletes and it may take time to see results. Hopefully in 10 years or so we will see such athletes that developed on a plant-based diet.

The big question i and probably a lot of people have is. Is a vegan diet better or worse For fitness goals than a omnivores diet.

And how to become a vegan.

OP’s post got me thinking . I have a bag of vanilla unopened dated June 2019. Realistically how sound is the nutricional value of that powder still do we think ?

Unopened - I’d say it’s close to 95% as good as it was fresh. Dry powder keeps pretty well.
The bars do deteriorate a bit once past their bbe date and so does the RTD. The powder doesn’t seem to change at all in taste and I reckon the nutrition is still pretty good too.

If it had been opened then that’s a different story, as air, moisture etc can all affect it pretty quickly. But sealed - I’d definitely still eat it with no concerns

1 Like

Handy to know . Will have to find someone to donate it to

1 Like

It’s not a straight forward question. It can be either or the same. I come back to it time and again it’s more about diet quality than fitting what your diet is into a category like vegan. Focus on whole, nutient dense foods, look at calories if you’re thinking about weight and for muscle gain, protein and in particular the amino acid leucine.

Hard to say. The nutritional value will deteriorate after the BBE but will still be fine to consume. Your more sensitive nutrients such as vitamin C are more of a concern than the protein content for example.

3 Likes

Would you agree with the statement that protein from animal lowers testosterone ?

Nope. If there’s any evidence it’s likely to be association rather than animal protein causing a lowering of testosterone.

There is a joe rogan podcast about debunking gamechangers. with James Wilks and Chris Kresser.

https://youtu.be/s0zgNY_kqlIThe game changers debate.

My personal take on future foods and plant based diets is that they are a (good) partial solution to food security. However, the elephant in the room that is continually ignored is food waste. As others have mentioned – solutions like Huel offer very low to nil food waste but generally speaking and on a global level, waste is really out of control. We do have the capacity to produce enough food for everyone regardless of their diet – but we are terrible at managing it.

It’s literally criminal that in 2018, there were an estimated 820 million people globally who did not have enough to eat, up from 811 million in the previous year. This is only a 1.1% increase and is easily outstripped by the increase in food waste. Food waste is currently increasing by roughly a third every decade. Its estimated at the current rate of waste, by 2030, we as a race will be throwing away 2.1 billion tonnes a year (currently we’ve gone past 1.6 billion tonnes), equivalent to 66 tonnes per second. Literally, a third of all food produced is thrown away.

In real terms that equates to $1.2 trillion USD wasted every year while 10.7% of the global population suffers from chronic undernourishment. Food waste and loss also accounts for 8% of all global greenhouse gas emissions across the total lifespan of its creation and ultimate disposal/decomposition.

Fruits, vegetables, roots and tubers have the highest wastage rates of any food. Global quantitative losses and waste per year are roughly 23% for cereals, 35% for root crops (inc. fruits and vegetables), 15% for oil seeds, meat, dairy and fish is 27%.

Commentators in developed countries find it very easy to apportion much of the blame on this waste to less developed nations however, the statistics tell a very different story. Every year, consumers in rich developed countries waste almost as much food as the entire net food production of sub-Saharan Africa. Per capita waste by consumers is between 95-115 kg a year in Europe and North America, while consumers in Africa, South and South East Asia, each throw away only 6-11 kg a year.

6 Likes

This is a very good point indeed.
There’s always a lot of discussion of the impact of packaging and food miles, but the issue of food waste rarely gets shouted about.
And yet, it has an enormous environmental impact.

You’re right - there is virtually no waste with Huel. I’m sure there are a few people who leave the odd bag in the back of the cupboard for years and then throw it away. But I’m sure it’s minimal in comparison to other waste.
Personally I don’t waste any food at all - literally nothing. I don’t peel veg unless it’s inedible, and then the peelings go in the garden compost. I never throw cooked food away - if I cook extra it goes in the freezer for another day. And if I l buy something I don’t like, I give it away.
But righteous as I may feel about this, there is still waste within my food chain: at the production stage or the shop stage.
Supermarkets in my area are getting much better at donating unsold food to food banks and homelessness charities, but still, this is a big problem.

3 Likes

I’m trying to do my bit by using

And

I think retailers have a lot to answer for too in the escalating issue of food waste in the West – incentivising consumers to buy more food than they need, or want, through promotions such as BOGOF type deals.

Perhaps more countries should adopt legislation like the French who have a requirement under law that bans grocery stores from throwing away edible food. Stores can be fined $4,500 for each infraction.

That was brutal. James made some great points, but he went into this too much like it was a fight. He won the fight, for sure, but it made for a difficult listening experience. Far too much time spent destroying Chris’s reputation. James seemed frustrated towards the end that he still had more points he hadn’t addressed. That’s because he wasted too much time beating down Chris’s reputation like his life depended on it. The way he bullied Chris here, I wouldn’t be surprised it there was somebody hidden under the desk with a gun to James’s groin ready to blow his balls off if he loses the argument.

I listened to the podcast version while out walking. I had to split my listening over 3 sessions. There’s no way I could tolerate the whole thing in one go. James was like a verbal battering ram.

2 Likes

Late to the party I know but I finally got around to watching this and I’m disappointed. The sensationalist approach coupled with extreme black vs. white arguments and poor science meant that in my opinion the credible parts of the argument that the film was trying to put forward were lost.

It relied heavily on anecdotes and individual experience alongside poorly conducted small scale “experiments” like the blood plasma burrito meal example which were just laughably inadequate as evidence.

It’s a shame as there was the potential for a good film in there if the premise had been better handled. As it was the whole base argument wasn’t properly put forward. How was the film defining a “plant based diet” - vegetarian, vegan, pescatarian or just predominantly plant based food with occasional meat and dairy? This was never properly defined. The examples shown seemed to feature a lot of processed meat substitutes (veggie nuggets, burgers, etc) rather than a more whole food plant based diet.

It was also quite sexist with the emphasis on meat being “manly” and oestrogen being bad. Not sure why they felt the need to include the rubbish “how many hard ons do 3 college students get in one night” section.

I’d also question whether all of the strength athletes featured are natural bodybuilders. There was no discussion on steroid or testosterone use and certainly Schwarzenegger has admitted to using anabolic steroids in the past. I’m not sure using footage of him from when he was a steroid using omnivore really adds anything to the argument.

So overall there was too much bad science, poor data and badly constructed and irrelevant arguments to take it seriously. A wasted opportunity.

2 Likes