Go Huel Yourself

The DIY ones seem superior to the purchasable ones (which are £60 on amazon and look rubbish)

Should we have a ‘fatdancing’ club on the internet, where we share our videos of ourselves? I always go back to this video, it makes me smile everytime i watch it. I don’t think I’ve got the moves this guy does though.

Big Bear Dancing

6 Likes

Cheers man, might just do that

1 Like

Exercise is definitley the way forward if you want to boost your weight loss i started huel on may 5th at 125kg and no i weigh 90kg at last weigh in i do work out everyday but you could find a happy medium

1 Like

Well done on the convert, hope HUEL give you something off your next order for that…love you posts BTW…Lin

Can we have a new year update? Cats? Gran? Has the wife tried pina colada? Don’t leave us hanging, dude!

Well happy new year my lovely Huelites, @Bellalasagne reminded me of my winter hibernation with regards to this little blog so a big thank you all for the kind words and your concern. So…where to begin?

I last told you that I subscribed to huel powder, unfortunately my estimate of amounts was a little off, this was only pointed out to me by my good lady when the kids started using unopened bags of huel as an impromptu wall in a fort they had built and we started having to remove real food from cupboards to find space for it all. I have therefore paused the subscription to work through the backlog. Tell you what though, the ‘tweak’ to the formula they made (which other forum posts can explain much better than I) means it doesn’t ‘clump’ quite so much, I no longer need to blend and its a lot easier to manage on the go as a result.

Regular readers will know that the hunger pangs in the late afternoon were consistently catching me out, with the ‘charity box’ of flapjacks at work being raided on numerous occasions each week. So with the advent of Huel bars v2.0 (is this really a marketing technique? mmmmmm I love a bit of 2.0) I thought I’d give them a go. So they taste pretty good, but the little card in the box suggesting they be eaten with a glass of water was surprising. Boy they’re not wrong, they taste good and are a great way to deal with hunger pangs, but good lord, it can be like trying to swallow a soggy breeze block. They are exactly what I needed, and I’d recommend them to fill the ‘gap’ but they aren’t cheap (even in bulk they are £1.50+ per bar) and make sure you are near a water source when you have them, otherwise your colleagues/friends/random strangers will wonder why your coughing up a hairball like a mangy cat.

I don’t think the Huel freebies are coming my way LOL.

Speaking of cats, our pair of lovely furballs have finally settled in and are now prowling the neighbourhood like the randy little teenage b*ggers that they are. I know you shouldn’t have favourite children (I don’t but cats don’t count), but the fat one sits on my knee, can open the ‘tap to open’ bin with his hind legs, and generally will eat anything with a bit of sauce on it…just like his dad :slight_smile:. We are currently concerned with just how many other houses on the street are feeding him, as everytime he comes in he seems to have grown!!

My lovely wife and I will have been married for 10 years this year, and as such we’ve started looking at the wedding photos. This has resulted in a combined effort to lose weight. (By which I mean, I was told we are both going to have to lose weight). She has started on a much better exercise regime and as I write is out on a run with the local running group. I meanwhile am drinking wine, waiting for arsenal v chelsea to start and avoiding working out how I’m going to pay the tax bill. We’ll see who wins :slight_smile:

I found a great article today about the relationship between stress and weight, and I am beginning to understand that perhaps my weight is perhaps a function of my lifestyle (NO S**T SHERLOCK says the guy at the back).

It’s really interesting isn’t it, how knowing what your doing wrong, knowing what the problem is, and knowing what to do about it still don’t give you any motivation to do anything. A combination of a sedentary lifestyle and stressful work environment (not the worst I can assure you, but moderately so) is likely to severely impede life chances in the next 20 years, but rather than fire a rocket up my bum, it causes me to reach for the rioja and say f*** it.

I took a facebook emotional types quiz on the behest of the good lady, and apparently I’m a rebel, which means I’ll not do anything I want to do unless I want to do it. (Its on facebook so it must be true). So perhaps its a mental thing? Do I want to get healthier, lose weight and expand my life expectancy? Perhaps not, perhaps I just want to see the world burn, or perhaps I just want to be an overweight teenage cat with hygiene issues.

@Bellalasagne mentioned my Gran, my gran is 100 this year!!! can you imagine? She was born near the end of World War ONE!!! She’s a foot and a half shorter than me, tells me I need to stop eating and shave my face and clean out my ears but can’t really mean it all because apparently I give her the best cuddles. (Somehow this still means a lot even as a 38 year old man, when your gran says it).

Anyhow, I’ve been avoiding the scales as I’ve just eaten a huge dinner and had some wine, but in keeping with my promise to you all here’s the stats:

Weight: 130kg Body fat:33.9% BMI 36.9

From the last update, this means I have put on 6kg, but have actually lost 1kg of fat, (7kg of muscle? really?) These body fat things can be a bit temperamental so its more direction of travel, The fitbit app tells me I’ve been putting on weight of some sort since october last year, I call this my christmas weight!

Here’s the thing though, for the first time in years, I’ve not picked up any bugs over winter (touch wood) and i put that down to a better balance of nutrients from the Huel. (Or the Gin advent calendar I got, which meant I spent most of December pickled).

I promise it won’t be so long next time. Have fun hueling you guys.

3 Likes

Just joined and enjoying reading through the blog posts, yours leapt out at me because, well it sounded like I’d written it! Flapjack lover, McDonalds fan, actually more of a KFC man (who doesn’t love the Colonel!), on the road a lot and struggling to stick with a plan and keep the hand out of the biscuit tin. Keep it up (you know what I mean!), I shall be keeping an eye out for your posts to motivate me and remind me we are all human (except the royal family, alien lizards don’t you know) and it’s not the end of the world if we over indulge occasionally just as long as we get back on the right path eventually.

1 Like

Good to hear I’m providing (admitterdly odd) motivation :slight_smile:
Welcome, I’m just about to make another order so I must be doing something right.

Well folks, 11 months in ANNNDDDDDD…I’ve lost no weight!

So before you go off and start taking some pills that make your poo go orange, lets discuss whats changed for me in the time I’ve been using Huel.

I now take Huel 10 meals a week (out of 21) (Breakfast & Lunch Monday to Friday)

This has had general impacts on my health (please note no other major changes to lifestyle have occurred):-

1. For the first time since I was a child I have not had a serious flu/cold/virus over the winter.
  2. I no longer feel physically jaded, I positively bounce out of bed in the morning
  3. Gut health etc. is much better
  4. Mental Health is much more stable, never a real issue, but mood swings have reduced
  5. Lunch is cheaper

In terms of lifestyle:-

1. I enjoy it, with a couple of spoons of coffee
  2. I enjoy the taste
  3. on those occasions where I have an alternative for lunch, I struggle
  4. I sometimes need a top up on food and find the huel bars work well for this.

So, bizarrely, I am a real convert. It really has improved my life. My remaining 11 meals per week are admittedly, of variable quality and I would say that some calorie increase in remaining meals may be occurring. McDonalds and the pizza shop are still my friends on occasion.

So WHAT NOW? Well, I’ve only gone and joined a gym, and I’m going!!! 2-3 times a week for the last 3 weeks, and I am actually looking forward to it. I really do think I’ve made the next step here guys.

The first time I walked in, there were a load of Gym Bunnies showing off their physiques, whereas I was red and sweating just climbing on the cross trainer, but the moment I realised that they didn’t care, and I didn’t care, and I found some banging tunes on Apple Music it all started coming together.

So I am a work in progress, as I have been since this started, I reckon I am in this for the long haul. If you measured my considerable girth, it took 20 years to build this belly, so its certainly going to take a few years to shift it.

Well I guess thats what I’m going to have to do.

I hope that your Huel journey is a positive one, and will attempt to do a ‘Queens Speech’ at 12 months :slight_smile:

To finish here’s the latest stats

Weight: 128.5 Body Fat: 30.9% BMI: 36.4

Some improvement from January, but we’ve got to push it in one direction now…now where’s that Pizza…

4 Likes

Great reading bud and awesome to see Huel works well for you. Keep it up! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes very funny. (Entertaining)
Hope to see the Fitbit stats over time would be very interesting.
Thanks

Scratch that I see time has passed already and no miracles here but I can relate with the other seemingly improved nutrition affects.
I have had very similar results and know that more activity (good old exercise) will get the scale a spinning in the right direction,
Thank you for sharing

Don’t worry :stuck_out_tongue:

That will be April this year :smiley:

Well hello my lovely Huelites, it’s been a very long time. Firstly I must apologise, since my last post an awful lot has happened. Thanks to Mr. Hankly for waking me up.

Firstly and most importantly and probably for reasons unrelated to Huel, Mrs RBUK decided that living with a fat old miser was not the best option for her future and promptly up and left. It hasn’t been the easiest thing but we’re doing the best for the kids, and currently working through our separation. It’s been a sh*t time to be honest, but I’m through it now and looking forward to the next chapter of my life.

What else, we lost the dog, gained another cat, which then had 3 more cats, then the wife left taking kids and cats with her, but the two boy cats have come back (one of them did it 4 times!!) so somebody loves me :rofl:. The girl cat has had another 5 cats since so god knows what’s going on in the former Mrs RBUKs house.

Anyhow more huel related, so as part of the stress of the breakup of marriage, I ate nothing but huel for 6 weeks (ok the odd pizza and kebab). And lost 1.5 stone!!!

I then realised that I needed to occupy my time, and it was either drink or exercise!

As much as I could quite happily have a slutty affair with alcohol, I took the advice off a comment on this blog and went and got a weight training plan at the gym…guess what I love it, and it works!!! Cardio is crap, do weights, takes less time, more visible effects, and you lose weight too!!!

Now I’m on my own, I tend to huel all meals, and then just eat proper food with the kids or others when I’m out and about. I actually miss it if I go too long without it!

The other thing I’ve been doing is logging EVERYTHING that passes my lips on MyFitnessPal. Doing CICO has arguably been as important as the exercise. Now when I hoover up half a pack of biscuits (yes I still do) I know how many calories I’ve had and can make active decisions about my activity or other food intake. It’s actually quite empowering, and a phone in your pocket is a great tool to assist. (I’m using a combination of a RENPHO smart scale and app, Fitbit ionic, MyFitnessPal And a weights routine app called Strong)

So this isn’t a separation and divorce blog, but god there’s some funny stuff happens. I also tentatively have started dating, and good god, Tinder is the evil work of the devil, I’ve met some lovely people through it l, but I’ve never used an app that made me so feel so shallow and callous before. Deleted!!

Right so, down to the stats, I am rather proud of myself so here goes

Weight: 107kg BMI: 30 Bdy fat % 27.6

Here’s a pic from Fitbit, recent spike in stats above due to new scales, but you get the idea!
Anyhow love to you all, I’ll be back for a yearly update, if not before. It has been too long :kissing_heart:

10 Likes

That’s heck of an update :open_mouth:
Good to see you’re doing well, despite all the happenings in the past year.
As it seems, it allows you more personal development, which is worth a lot as well :smiley:
Actually making good progress in it too, that’s great. :muscle:

Wish you the best of luck and keep up the great progress :wink:

Great blog, I’ve just discovered this today and feel like I’ve been on an emotional rollercoaster after reading the whole thread! All best with your endeavours, Huel or otherwise. Keep us posted.

1 Like