Has anyone tried warm Huel?

Hi all. I’m new to Huel this week, and am loving it so far. I’m doing the breakfast and lunch thing, and having a normal meal in the evening. I’m loving the vanilla flavour though and am not wanting to mess with it at all. What I did want to ask on here was whether anyone had tried a warm version of Huel? Maybe mixing it up like a porridge, using less water? I’m just thinking now the cold weather is on it’s way it would be nice to have a warm breakfast now and again. I just wondered if it mixed well with hot water, and whether a porridge like consistency could be attained.

5 Likes

I’ve not tried it myself, but I have wondered whether to do it as the weather gets colder. I don’t know if heating it up would destroy many of the nutrients. No more than cooking any other kind of food I suppose, so maybe that’s the best way to look at it.

But Huel is mainly oats, so I would say why not give it a try, but maybe make it thicker than you would drink it.

2 Likes

I use warm water regularly to great effect (not using boiling hot water, of course). What I do ist, to start the mix with a bit of cold water and giving it a shake before adding some warm water. It really makes the shake taste much more rich.

2 Likes

I’m going to try Huel porridge tomorrow for breakfast.

1 Like

Good idea. Let us know how you get on and if you add hot water to the powder, or if you mix with cold water then microwave.

I just tried Huel porridge. I put 122g of Huel into a saucepan with about 600ml of water. I then gently heated it and stirred it until it was about the right consistency. It made for a very large bowl of porridge.

The taste was okay, but not great. I think something happens during heating that somehow ruins the vanilla flavour. It’s edible, but definitely not as nice as drinking it cold.

I think a better option might be to use the unflavoured version of Huel, then flavour it once you’ve finished heating it. But I do still wonder what the heating process does to the vitamins and minerals, and I wonder whether this is an expensive way to make porridge.

To be honest, if the weather was really cold, I would rather just drink room temperature Huel than make it into porridge. But I know Huel wasn’t designed to be porridge, so this is not a criticism of Huel. It was just an experiment that’s all.

1 Like

There may be some small losses of some lablile vits and mins; but not a lot.

I wouldn’t heat it to boiling hot as the flaxseed oil in the flaxseeds is prone to oxidation.

I’ve just tried putting some veggie stock in and microwaving it.
The protein seems to congeal into lumps, which I wasn’t expecting. It was nice, but is likely to need a second blending. The stock and the heating also makes the mixture thicker.

It was kind of like ‘scrambled Huel’.

When I am in the mood for warm Huel, I usually mix 114g of Huel with 400-500ml of water at a temperature of 70 degrees Celsius. I sometimes also add some Bertrand or milled flaxseed, sunflower, pumpkin, sesame seeds & goji berries to make it even thicker. Whether it is with or without such additions, I find warm Huel as tasty as when refrigerated.
What I have written above pertains to Vanilla Huel so not sure about the unflavoured version as, so far, I have just used the latter for baking.

I think it is time for me to finally try adding those chia seeds I have sitting in the cupboard.