Has Huel considered using rapeseed oil?

I was just wondering today while using rapeseed oil to cook that it is actually really healthy and what were the main points that made Huel use sunflower oil instead of rapeseed oil?
Rapeseed oil is quite popular in Northern-Europe and I’d say it is preferred over olive oil.

Rapeseed oil is better to cook with as it doesn’t become toxic when exposed to high temperatures, unlike olive oil etc.
It doesn’t have as much nutrition cold as other oils though, as far as I know.
Coconut oil, sunflower oil and olive oil have more nutrients when cold pressed.
I’m not sure rapeseed oil is that nutritious - but it is one of the healthiest oils to cook in

Rapeseed has the lowest amount of saturated fats compared to every other possible oil and it has slightly more (45.8mg per 100g compared to 41.1mg) vitamin E than sunflower oil.
Also, it has an almost perfect omega 3 to omega 6 ratio while there’s too much omega 6 in sunflower oil.

They do, it is used in their RTDs

I would be devastated if they changed to rapeseed oil in Huel powder as I would no longer be able to consume it :fearful:

Avocado oil ftw!

1 Like

Coconut “oil” is almost exclusively saturated fatty acids. Doesn’t make sense to use it cold.

Apart from it being a tropical plant with everything that brings with it (same for avocado).

Avocado oil has too little polyunsaturated fats and too much saturated fat. Also, it is quite expensive.
Rapeseed oil has the lowest amount of saturated fats compared to any other oil that exists and it has a mono- & polyunsaturated fats. It also has a perfect omega-3 to omega-6 ratio. The price of rapeseed oil is most likely one of the cheapest, especially when compared to avocado oil.

Huel combines flaxseed and sunflower oil which most likely gives enough necessary nutrition but if I had to use only 1 oil and nothing else then rapeseed oil would be healthiest because of the ratios of fats, lack of saturated fats and perfect omega-3 to omega-6 ratio.

1 Like

If/when you have questions about certain ingredients it’s always good to do a search of the forum and also check on the Huel website for suitable articles. Lots of info both here and on the website.

Hope you will find James Collier’s article helpful:

1 Like

I read not so long ago that sat fat isn’t as bad as they thought, and avo’ oil is recommended by a couple of the US keto complete foods.

It’s a minefield though, getting good balanced nutrition is takes far more thought than it should do -which is probably one of the main reasons I’m so ready/eager to hand the worry over to products like Huel.

Thanks for the link.

I am satisfied with sunflower oil and I am satisfied with the ingredients in Huel. I was just curious what made Huel prefer it to rapeseed oil. :slight_smile: I didn’t find such comparisons anywhere.

Thanks for providing the link Bee.

For the Powders we use sunflower oil as it provides the omega 6 polyunsaturated fatty acids. It’s always good to remember an ingredient is one piece of the puzzle to create a nutritionally complete meal. So, in combination with flaxseed (which provides omega 3 polyunsaturated fatty acids) and MCT oil (which provides most of the saturated fats in the form of MCTs) we achieve a great fat profile and an omega 3:6 ratio of 1:1.

3 Likes