Lethargic After Drinking Huel. A Possible Explanation

I’ve been a big fan of Huel for a while. But noticed that quite frequently I needed a post-Huel nap if it wasn’t followed or accompanied by a lot of caffeine.

I had pretty much exhausted the suggestions made in other threads.
Possible gluten intolerance - ruled out.
Allergy to any other ingredients - ruled out.
Other nutrient/mineral intake requirements not being met - ruled out.
Not enough sleep - ruled out.

I will now state that Huel helps me as someone with a less than ideal relationship with food. But I feel I may have come to a conclusion on what may be giving myself (and others) that post-Huel slug.

Sunflower oil.

Vegetable oils, although touted as being much healthier than their animal counterparts, are nothing of the sort. If you look at the shady history of vegetable oils, you can quickly see that polyunsaturated fats have a poor impact on heart health and health in general. The uptick in use of these oils goes hand in hand with the first appearance and rapid rise in heart attacks. (Please look at Procter & Gamble’s history in…well, just about every industry they’ve touched and their shady ‘science’ practices).

Both coconut oil and sunflower oil are ingredients in Huel. Coconut oil is 70% (healthy) saturated fats. Whereas sunflower oil is exclusively polyunsaturated fat.

The research is out there. My question would be how high is the sunflower oil content in Huel but also - why is it in Huel to begin with. For a long time I saw Huel as a good, all round healthy way for me to meet my micronutrients with ease.

But if not for the sole reason of it being cheaper… is there another reason for it’s use in Huel?

I’d like to hear others’ thoughts on this.

Hey Kyle,

I’m sorry to hear you’ve been feeling lethargic.

How often does this occur, how long after you consume Huel and does this happen with any other foods?

I’m not going to comment on sunflower oil/polyunsaturated fats too much but this myth that they’re unhealthy and using correlations to support this has been floating around for a while. We have an article on fats that you may be interested in: Good Fats & Bad Fats – Huel and also one on sunflower oil too: Health Benefits of Sunflower Oil – Huel

If you have any questions or articles you’ve read that you’d like me to take a look over, please let me know.