How do you flavour your Unflavoured & Unsweetened Huel?

For a warm dinner Huel Im blending 2-3 scoops og Huel with 150g spinach, stock cupe, curry and hot warm water (add stock cupe to boiling water, top up with cold and out in rest and blend).
This week Im going to try some different Savory options

The cappella sounds interesting…I just looked at their UK website but cannot see if suitable for vegans…I guess I could have looked harder…but thought I’d ask you.

Capella flavours are vegan friendly. At least they write so on they main US site. See under “About Our Flavours” in the drop down menus in the link. https://www.capellaflavors.com/sweet-strawberry-flavor-concentrate-13ml.html

I bought the Capella flavours at rainbowvapes.co.uk.

This morning I had a very, very delicious chocolate Huel for breakfast that was alot like a milkshake - using Chocolate Fudge Brownie and 2 gram of cacao powder.

1 Like

Ooh…that sounds lovely…

1 Like

…and it says they are vegan on the rainbow vapes site.

1 Like

Those Capella flavours sound great, Susanne. Thanks for the links. I’m looking at ordering some to try. How many drops do you use at a time?

Anyone else tried these?

Anyone else discovered that U/U is best drunk immediately and when made with room temperature water?

I tried it this way first and it’s delicious!
Having found that the flavours versions taste way better after a few hours stood in the fridge, I tried refridgerating the U/U and it was pretty horrible! Definitely best fresh!

I LOVE it on its own - just water

Also 2 teaspoons of marmite - yummy

Or a splash of tamari sauce and chilli

Or make a coconut chai (coconut milk, cinnamon, cloves, turmeric, ginger, black pepper, cardamom, honey), allow to cool a little (or completely) then use instead of water to mix with U/U Huel - DIVINE !

Shot of decaf (or regular) espresso fresh from the machine - def a favourite

Raw cacao powder - with or without honey

Also found 80% Tropicana Ltd edition berry juice 20% water with 2 scoops U/U Huel - Wow! Super delicious

I’m trying more ideas all the time…
I’ll add any that work!

4 Likes

Just new to Huel and have been trying various flavourings, I found that by using 2 scoops of Huel in 400ml water, adding 1 teaspoon of nesquick powder (Chocolate is my favourite) or 1 of those sachets of unsweetened iced Latte or other coffee flavours, stick it in the blender, then 100ml of semi skimmed milk. Makes a lovely creamy and not to calorific lunch, filling and nutricious. More milk can be added if too thick, leave in fridge overnight to chill.
I have been having this for my lunch every day instead of the usual sandwiches and I am fine till supper

I don’t, just drink it with water. I would not say it’s delicious, the aftertaste is kind of medicine, for the vitamins I guess, but overall I like.

I have not tried the flavoured ones.

1 Like

Huel U&U will be my main Huel product.
Like to blend it with 50/50 water and organic oat milk.
Also alone with Ovomaltine or with honey.
Another option is powdered coffee.
These four ways keep me far from sweeteners I want to avoid. And of all meal replacement powders I’ve tried Huel, and particularly Huel U&U are paramount.

3 Likes

I tried Vanilla Huel for a couple of months (for breakfast and lunch) and had some super weird tummy issues and toilet behaviour. So rather than give up, I thought I would switch to unsweetened and since then everything is working as it should, and I’m feeling great for it.

In general I avoid sucralose and stevia based sweetners like the plague, and I don’t think my body liked them in Huel. So I tried a few things out with unsweetened (as I couldn’t get on with it on it’s own).

And guess what worked best? Good old sugar. Not a lot, but that combined with a couple of other flavours gives me enough variety to keep me Hueling all week!

When I’m at work I use the shaker and chilled bottled water.

When I’m at home I use a NutriBullet and ice cubes.

I always use 400ml of liquid and 3 standard scoops of Huel.

Huel Espresso
Double espresso made with Lavazza Expresso
2 heaped tea spoons granulated white sugar

Huel Vanilla Deluxe
1.5 teaspoons of Dr. Oetker Madagascan Vanilla Extract
1 heaped tea spoons granulated white sugar

Huel Mint Cornetto
2 tea spoons of Green & Black Organic Cocoa Powder
1.5ml of Steenbergs Organic Peppermint Extract - measured with a Calpol syringe
2 heaped tea spoons granulated white sugar

To mix things up sometimes I add the vanilla to cocoa or add vanilla to the coffee, but keep coming back to the above.

I tried a cinnamon infused maple syrup but that clashed with the unsweetened Huel and produced a burnt flavour which I found unpleasant.

I’ve also tried a salted caramel flavouring from Tesco but that is the only time i’ve poured my Huel away down the sink!

I’m currently experimenting with natural banana powder and honey for a ‘Banana Sandwich’ Huel but it’s not right yet.

I also saw coconut syrup in the supermarket the other day which got me thinking of how to do a pina colada version.

Hoping Huel v3 doesn’t mess up my recipes!

4 Likes

That’s great, Huel is always about finding what works for you. For us, we want to avoid added sugar - but that’s our motivation and might not be everyone’s. Sugar is one of the easiest things you can add so it’s great that works for you!

Love how much your experimenting, keep us posted on your faves!

I’ve not actually tried adding sugar. But I may now do so! Especially as I find the new flavour boosts bland since the reduction of stevia.
I prefer UU as I don’t really like sucralose.
But I do like the flavour boosts to add variety.
I need to watch my sugar levels as have previously been pre-diabetic / insulin resistant.
But I’m not anti sugar.
In fact I prefer sugar to sweeteners.
I need very little sweetness to satisfy my tastebuds so I reckon half a teaspoon of unprocessed cane sugar would be enough for me personally.

I prefer the flavored Huel mixes. But when I had a bag of U/U Huel to finish, I added xylitol. It agrees well with me and as a bonus, it’s good for my teeth :slight_smile:

3 Likes

1.Frozen berries.
2. Coconut milk with UU.
3. Banana.
4. Whey protein.
5. Maple syrup.

For breakfast I’ve settled into a habit of two scoops of Huel, with 100g frozen berries, three balls of frozen spinach, half a banana, a tablespoon of chia seeds, a scoop of powdered green protein, a teaspoon of coffee and a quarter teaspoon of cinnamon (topped up with water and blended). Later in the day I often have three scoops with an apple, or half banana.

2 Likes

My brain is exploding trying to compute this flavour !

3 Likes

I tried adding a tbsp of Chia Seeds to the Huel blend a couple of times in the past but stopped doing it because when Chia seeds are immersed in water they produce a highly viscous solution due to the release of mucilage. I found this very quickly made the drink very slimy and unpalatable – changing the whole texture and experience completely.

Ahh, I use a Vitamix blender, which must whiz them up so small that they don’t cause an issue. The resulting drink is still pretty thick, but just drinkable. It tastes surprisingly ok, considering the mix of ingredients (which I’ll admit were chosen for nutrition first and foremost). When I run out of berries it tastes less good!

Now that’s something I haven’t come across before - where do you get that?