How long once made up?

ONCE I have made up my Huel, how long can I leave it in the Fridge before I drink it??

Step 5 - Consume or store

Drink/eat your Huel, or if you want to store it, you can place it in the fridge for up to 24 hours. Your Huel may separate after a while. This is completely normal and you just need to give it a quick swirl or shake to re-mix it.

• Unopened, Huel has a 1 year expiry date
  • Opened, but sealed and kept in a cool dark place out of direct sunlight, Huel has a 6 month expiry
  • Mixed - Once blended we recommend you keep your Huel refrigerated and consume within 24 hours. This is a best before. For information about consuming Huel after 24 hours, see this thread where James Collier RNut has gone into more detail:
1 Like

From my experience, if not refrigerated Huel can develop an unpleasant vinegary taste after 12 to 18 hours (although I have still consumed it like this once with no ill affects). Refrigerated, I have eaten my Huel up to 48 hours after preparation and it’s tasted OK.

Obviously, I have no idea about the nutritional impact of leaving Huel for that long, but my use of Huel isn’t all about the Nutrition.

Totally just my observations. You mileage may vary. theaardvark does not accept responsibility if you drink months old Huel and get food poisoning. :¬)

I wonder if that is yeast growth? I have read that yeast can grow on old leftover food.

If there’s a sour taste it’s likely to be lactic acid from naturally-occurring lactobacilli. Basically the same process that makes sourdough bread and sauerkraut is happening in your Huel.
There’s probably some yeast in there too so it would be very mildly alcoholic.

3 Likes

@BarneyL Interesting, thank you.