How much Huel is too much Huel in a day?

I just started using Huel and have gotten bags of their hot and savory as well as two tubs of their complete vegan powder.

It crossed my mind that since these are powders and meals with vitamins and minerals, perhaps you should only have a certain amount each day.

I am curious if it is safe to consume 2-3 meals (hot and savory) and 2-3 shakes (complete vegan protein powder) a day. I am a 6’4 220 lbs male at thirty years of age.

Look forward to hearing from everyone and am stoked to be a part of this community!

Yes of course

Just be mindful of the instructions on the packaging - they only recommend having 1 to 2 H&S meals a day as more than that is going to push your salt intake up. You may want to consider mixing it up and putting a standard shake in the daily routine somewhere.

The high concentration of some vitamins and minerals may be problematic, at least in some cases.

At the German website the vitamin A content of the powder is 113% of the recommended amount (per 2000kcal). Unless it is in the form of beta-carotene hypervitaminosis is possible, with potentially serious side effects. So even 2000kcal of Huel can be problematic if taken for a prolonged period on a daily basis.

If you have to take anticoagulants due to thrombosis or atrial fibrillation the high Vitamin K content would be a problem, too.

Several micronutrients come in higher doses than recommended, for example manganese and iron. Especially if you take a higher dose of vitamin C, the latter may be problematic and could lead to iron overload, as vitamin C increases iron absorption. The selenium content is also higher than the recommended daily dosage, intoxication is also possible if the increased intake would be over a prolonged period.

The high content in potassium and phosphorus could be problematic if you suffer from renal insufficiency (decreased kidney function). The latter may also be negatively affected by the above-average protein content, not only of black edition but also the standard powder.

But not everybody need 2000kcal a day. If you have less in the form of Huel products, it is extremely unlike that there will be any problems. At least if you carefully choose the supplements you take in addition.

2000kc of Huel v3.1 provides 900mcg of Vit A. The NHS states that the safe upper limit for long-term daily consumption is 1,500mcg.

It’s the animal-derived form of Vit A that can be problematic. As Huel is a vegan product this is unlikely to be an issue.

2000kc of Huel v3.1 provides 100mcg of Selenium. The NIH states that the safe upper limit for long-term daily consumption is 400mcg.

etc.

Do you mean beta-carotene with “non-animal-derived” Vitamin A? If yes, this should be indicated more clearly in the ingredients list (at least on the German website it is not stated that clearly).

I was referring to the recommended daily amount; but this may be individual, as well as a “safe upper limit”. The problem with many micronutrients is also, that they may interact with each other, with Vitamin C and iron being only one example.
At university we were told, that the recommended daily amount should be seen as the reference, if overdosage should be avoided. Not only interactions, but also certain health conditions must be taken into account, so the whole thing can become quite complex.

But I understand, that finding the right dosage of micronutrients is challenging - should it be optimized for those living 100% on the product, or the more common occasional users? The latter often see complete foods as a way to “compensate” for “unhealthy” meals or food choices. And even those who live on 100% Huel do have variable amounts - some 2000kcal, but others less or more, depending on individual needs and body type. So it is impossible to find a solution that is optimal for everyone.

Maybe that’s the reason why Huel recommends only one to two shakes per day, and not going 100% for a prolonged period of time.

Some rivaling companies use lower doses of micronutrients, even though they are more clear in their recommendation, that meals should only occasionally replaced by their product.

If one goes 100%, it may be the best idea to combine the shakes of several brands, as everyone has its strengths and weaknesses, so that the total is more balanced in some way.

But maybe I am wrong on that. How do you deal with this “problem”? Are you living 100% on just one product? Do you combine different products?

It’s very well-advertised that Huel is suitable for vegans, thus ‘non-animal-derived’ is a given. An indication in the ingredient list would be superfluous.

Can you point out where Huel says that 1-2 shakes is the maximum recommended? If so I’ve been happily exceeding the limit for a long time and feeling great on it.

2 Likes

In the meantime:

Summary - Huel Powder is Food

As you can see, Huel Powder has a far superior nutrition compared to most conventional diets. Huel Powder can be your sole nutritional source, or you can drink it as individual meals or even as a between-meal snack. In this way, it can be an add-on improvement to your diet to ensure you’re giving your body what it needs.

3 Likes