Huel 2.2 - texture

It’s a massive backward step. V2.1 was great, 2.2 is lumpy everytime, no matter how much shaking! If there is no change soon (I.e. a no lumpy 2.3 (or even better go back to 2.1)) then I won’t be ordering anymore. It’s a real shame as I had totally converted to huel for breakfast and lunch everyday.

Maybe there is a lumpy batch of 2.2 as this doesn’t seem to impact everyone??

1 Like

That’s exactly how 2.1 worked for me. 2.2 is a horrible gloopy lumpy mess!! Maybe I just got a bad batch and the next bag will be OK!

It really isn’t as simple as that. Texture is extremely complex and simply taking them out isn’t an option. As well as thickening they also help keep Huel in suspension. Without them your Huel would instantly drop to the bottom of the shaker and separate the moment you stopped shaking.

I’m not an expert in this field, but I have tried Huel without xanthan/guar gum in and it is not pleasant.

3 Likes

I can verify that some amount of thickener is needed with recipes like this. If you want a case of what happens when inadequate amounts are used, look at what happens to Joylent/JimmyJoy within about 5 minutes of shaking it.

It’s difficult to find the right amount of thickener, and to make matters worse, each recipe change can change the required amount of thickener, especially so if you’re changing the balance of macronutrients - so what works for one product will not work for another.

I ran out of V1.2 on Friday :frowning: I’m struggling filling the calorie void, hitting 4k calories a day was bad enough as it was! I really didn’t like the smooth slick oily texture and consistency of V2.1, is v2.2 the same?

Having Huel sink to the bottom of the shaker instead of forming a suspension actually sounds awesome to me. It would mean that I could consume 500g of Huel with 500g of water in one go and be done for the day.

Instead, I have to have 2.1kg of water for 500g of Huel :frowning: I can’t eat that in one go and instead have to spread it over 2-3 hours.

It’s definitely gloopier. Even my blender agrees! It’s within my tolerances though. I much prefer a little gloopy than way too thin though.

I’ve still got a bag of v1.2 and mixing (3 scoops + 500ml water) 50/50 with v2.2 is my personal perfect texture. 100% v2.2 reminds me of this:

When I run out of v1.2 I’ll just have a bit more water and it should be okay for me, but I do see what people are talking about.

2 Likes

Define instantly? I just shake and drink, if instantly is anything above 10-30 seconds, I don’t care. I’m already done.

How much thickeners did 1.2 have?

Thought I was going mad, then I looked at the forum. Very different to 2.1.

I only use still mineral water to mix with 3 scoops, to replace breakfast and lunch. Recently started with 2.1, and now got 2nd order which is 2.2. normally 700ml of water.

Mixed in multiple ways, and now constantly get a mousse type drink with loads of unmixed lumps.

Batch 3030 12.53pm

Lots of wasted Huel.

1 Like

1 Like

This is so depressing to see - I was going to buy my first batch of Huel but seeing the posts about the clumps and sedement left at the bottom - I’ve decided to hold back and wait.

What a shame.

So… far more water than the recommended ratios? How many meals a day? Does this even fit in one shaker?

1 Like

I’ve been wondering, are most of the problems related to people using the shaker supplied / identical one that comes with the grid on top? Still haven’t got my mixer ball, which will hopefully arrive tomorrow, but having just tried to make it up in the same fashion as recommended, I got this in the top of the grid. It just sits there, and refuses to move anywhere, with loads of space left underneath in the shaker. Was this tested with the supplied shakers before it went out? Seems a fairly obvious issue if it’s coming out full of lumps.

Don’t know if it’s related, but I always seem to end up with a load stuck to the side of the plastic shaker bottle now too, which never used to happen.

1 Like

Did you read my post? Replaced Breakfast and Lunch. More water should mean better mixing…and there isn’t an exact recipe…Clearly states that if you like it thinner use more water, thicker (presume that’s you) use less water.

Not sure which shaker you are using but if you mix 500ml if water with 3 scoops, shake and then add 200ml of water and then shake, it doesn’t even touch the grid, as the Huel is absorbed on the first mix, reducing the overall volume. Simple science.

With the stock shaker you’re given, if you add 500ml of water and 3 scoops, you put the grid on top to shake it up, that powder is going through the grid before it has chance to mix in. 700ml of water without Huel takes it up to just below the gridline. Added pics of said shaker for reference, along with the stuff I made up earlier. I actually used 2.5 scoops as it’s the only way I can make it drinkable and only have a few lumps in it instead of it being mostly lumps. I did note that the first scoop I put in just dropped into the water, soaked some water up into the outside, and completely held together rather than breaking apart, looking like a cork or something similar…

@TimOfficeHuel If it comes to it, and we don’t end up with a solution to the mixing/thickness issue, is it possible to return unopened bags? I’m hoping this mixer ball helps, but this is a bit unpleasant now, unlike when I started.

I reckon it’s the grid you’re using causing the problem.

Absolutely, you can return unopened bags to us. Have a read of our Refund and Exchange Policy carefully for all the info you need. Make sure you do so within 30 days of purchase.

It was a while ago we did the experiments, so difficult to same exactly. “Instantly” may have been melodramatic, but probably within 30secs to a few mins they would have sunk significantly enough to require a reshake. [quote=“gen, post:130, topic:6552”]
How much thickeners did 1.2 have?
[/quote]

Do not know exactly/unsure whether I would be able to say the precise amounts if I did know - really sorry.

Maybe so, but it is the one supplied with the bottle with the huel in the first place. Will hopefully be able to confirm soon enough.

The grid is not for shaking but only to hold off any ice you put in after shaking. In the paper guide you got with your first order this was explained.

And down the rabbit hole we go again :laughing:

Topic has been discussed before. Huel call it an ice filter, others call it a mesh/grid for helping dissolve protein powder. In my experience with v1.2 if not using the mesh it was a lot lumpier and didn’t mix as well. And for my protein powder it has a lot more lumps if not used.

1 Like