Huel and Kefir Milk

I have been using Huel for about 7 months now.
I have recently been making my own Kefir Milk with whole organic milk, the fermenting process removes the lactose from the milk evidently making it suitable for people who are lactose intolerant.
Home made Kefir milk is an amazing natural pro biotic far superior to anything available in the shops.
I have started mixing in 2 scoops of vanilla Huel and a small amount of the strawberry flavour and a banana, as Kefir can be quite sour depending how long you ferment it. I then put it in a nutri bullet for a quick blend, you don’t want to introduce heat into the kefir as it kills the good bacteria.
Then magic happens !
It is the most amazing shake I have ever tasted and very filling, the excess I store in the fridge to drink at leisure.
You could mix any fruit you like.
Granted it may be more work than some of you want to do, but I think it’s worth the effort for a healthy filling shake.

1 Like

Not a fan of kefir. Tastes like cheesy sick. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Haha, it doesn’t if you make it right, it’s like yoghurt :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I buy kefir from morrisons. think it comes in 600 ml bottles.

I just take a swig everytime i fancy and then put it back in the fridge.

Is there a better way to do it to get the benefits?

Not sure i have the time, skills or inclination to make it myself.

Hi,
The kefir you buy in the shops is pasteurised, the supermarkets have to do this otherwise the kefir milk would keep fermenting and the cartons would explode.
The pasteurisation process kills off the healthy bacteria so you are only getting a small amount of pro biotic benefit, you are wasting your money, the supermarkets also put in other additives to make it sweeter.
Making kefir is really easy, the milk feeds the kefir grains and they double in quantity after each ferment.
So you have limitless amounts of kefir milk saving you loads of money.
The excess kefir grains can be frozen and keep for a year, they can be used as a standby if anything happens to your other kefir grains.
It takes me a couple of minutes each morning to strain my kefir and bottle it, simples :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
There is no skill needed.

1 Like

Oh, I thought it was something that needed to be done quite kefirlly :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Groan… :joy::joy::joy::joy:

Doesn’t sound too intimidating - will have a look into it - thank you for laying it out for me.

Do you have any recommendations for a source of kefir grains? - I’m london based.

Also anywhere online there’s a good set of instructions for a novice?

Hi,I got a kit from Happy Kombucha.They supply written instructions and there are videos on their site.They supplied a Kilner Jar, two bottles, a plastic sieve and jug and plastic spoons, you cannot use any metal in the process.You put the grains into the Kilner Jar, cover with milk, leave in a warm cupboard overnight to ferment, strain the mixture into the jug leaving the kefir grains in the sieve to be put back in the Kilner Jar to repeat the process.The first initial ferments can be a bit weak until the kefir grains double in quantity, but still drinkable.What I do with the stuff in the jug is add a small amount of Huel strawberry flavouring, pour into one of the bottles and put in fridge to chill, and then use the chilled stuff in a shake.When the grains are fermenting in the Kilner Jar and you pull it out the cupboard in the morning don’t panic if it looks like it’s separated, it’s supposed to look like that, sieve it and then stir the mixture with a plastic spoon it comes back together.
Any problems message me.Enjoy :+1:

All kefir grains and kits

All kefir grains and kits

Please note as these are live cultures there can at times of high demand be a small wait for orders. please read our shipping page for full details

Wildlife & Nature Photographyhttps://www.flickr.com/photos/borderslass/

rtrt
September 9 |

Doesn’t sound too intimidating - will have a look into it - thank you for laying it out for me.

Do you have any recommendations for a source of kefir grains? - I’m london based.

Also anywhere online there’s a good set of instructions for a novice?

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

In Reply To

Rhona
September 8 |

Hi, The kefir you buy in the shops is pasteurised, the supermarkets have to do this otherwise the kefir milk would keep fermenting and the cartons would explode. The pasteurisation process kills off the healthy bacteria so you are only getting a small amount of pro biotic benefit, you are wasting …
Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

1 Like

Thanks again for the info.
Just had a quick look at their website - lots on there.
Will set aside some time during the week to go through it properly.

1 Like