Huel and skin worsening after use

Yeah…quite the bummer, Huel was the answer and now my skin is so bad around my mouth. Sad day.

1 Like

The form of B12 Huel uses is known to cause acne in some people, while the methyl form seems not to.

1 Like

Did anyone find a solution to this. I love Huel but experienced an outbreak of acne after two weeks of use, and it has not disappeared again.

I am new here, but was googling Huel and spots, and it lead me here. I too have been using Huel for 2/3 meals a day for 1.5 months and my skin has gotten really bad literally from 1 or 2 weeks in to now. It’s got to the point where I am going to have to stop the Huel. I had a healthy diet before, no meat, but for the sake of ease when I am home alone, and also portion control I was liking Huel as it was helping me to not over-eat (even over eating relatively healthy food mean I was putting on weight).

It is a shame, as I was really enjoying Huel, and feel good in every other aspect, but my skin is getting worse and worse.

Yep, sounds like it was definitely the creepy yellow leaf. Case closed.

What do you mean?

@esti if you’re wondering what @viscera was talking about, he was referring to a joke further up the thread from @craigstone about triggering his allergies:

1 Like

I have also started experiencing skin issues. I am now experiencing what feel almost like boils (but lacking the liquid). I never had this before. I am going to finish my 2nd bag, and then stop for 2 weeks to see what happens.

Hi @Nick1

So sorry to hear you’re experiencing this. It’s a guess, but this may be the rare (but not unheard of) intolerance to the form of vitamin B12 we use in Huel (cyanocobalamin) which causes raised spots on the skin. This has come up before a couple of times on the forum. This will clear up. Unfortunately, this is the only form of B12 we can use in Huel.

Ah, okay. Odd, my GP used to hit me with an injection of B12 and this was never a side effect. You say it will clear up, and idea on how long till that happens? I have been on Huel for a month and other than the damn spots I am loving it.

Have been using Huel for almost a month now. I only use it once a day, mainly for breakfast. I have both Vanilla and Chocolate and use one scoop of each, found i did not like either of them alone, but together it’s perfect lol.

I usually have nice skin, a random pimple here and there once in a blue moon. Since starting Huel my face has been breaking out, mainly my forehead and cheeks… It really sucks because I love Huel as a healthy option for breakfast and something quick and easy to have at work. The skin issue is really disappointing, nobody wants acne ridden skin, especially in their early 30’s lol… Decided to do a search about Huel and skin issues to see of anyone else had the same problem or if I could blame something else… But honestly nothing else has changed in my lifestyle except the addition of Huel. I’m surprised my skin is having such a major reaction with only once a day 100g servings. Based on the thread responses it must be the B12, the biotin, or the increased protein intake… or all 3 working together to ruin my face… Makes it hard to continue use, especially because I really love this stuff :confused:

Going to finish the Huel I have left and try increasing my water intake and maybe even exfoliate my face more often and see if that helps… If not I’m sad to say I won’t be able to re-order this wonderful product

I found the best thing for preventing break outs is tea tree oil, but apply it to dry skin not wet.

Also I used to suffer from really bad eczema and occasionally (maybe 3/4 times a month) bathing in a hot bath with a few table spoons of pure bicarbonate of soda has completely cleared it up and helps get rid of the dead skin making the hands/feet really soft.

I am devastated to have come across this thread as it confirms my fear - the hairline and facial acne that has appeared out of nowhere at the age of 35 is the result of introduction of huel - nothing else has changed… nasty boils have ruined my face and neck… embarrassed to leave the house :frowning:

I only used huel as a lunch replacement Monday-Friday, and have been mixing a scoop of U/U, choc & banana. It has gradually gotten worse, and my face is so bad today I decided to abandon the plans to go out as even make up is not helping … such a shame

:frowning:

Are you using a real banana or the banana flavour? If its real banana fruit then how many bananas do you consume per day?

Just started Huel 8 days ago and I started to get cystic acne that looks like boils on my face. Really unfortunate because I love the idea of saving tons of money by adding this to my diet everyday… I stopped yesterday and I can already notice my acne going down. I’m using huel black edition, I ended up buying 3 bags so I feel obligated to try again once my acne goes down. Otherwise, I’ll have to sell them on eBay or see if I can return them :frowning:

1 Like

Weirdly, I’m finding the complete opposite! My skin randomly became terrible a few years back. I tried cutting various things out of my diet and no joy. I started Huel three weeks ago to try and shift some weight, never imagining it would help my skin. Left is

February, right is today. I’m not wearing foundation/concealer and the difference is incredible!

5 Likes

Things are looking up.

1 Like

Wow! What skin condition is that?

Not sure to be honest! As a teenager my skin was fine, I hit mid 30’s and it went to pot! Finally relented and went to the doctors at the start of the year who didn’t really look at it just said it might be rosacea and gave me some cream to try but that made no difference at all. Was going to pursue it with them but then lockdown happened.

1 Like

I’m glad I found this thread, I’ve been taking huel for about 2 months and have had the most awful acne break out on my neck and gave and hairline and am really struggling to pinpoint it. I’m bummed as I just bought a second set of 2 bags. My experience otherwise has been good as I’ve been using it for breakfast and sometimes lunch, as well as losing weight but I think once this batch is over I won’t reorder. My skin was perfectly clear before all of this :pensive: now its painful and embarrassing